Dead disk.. any change of getting data out of it?

Happysedits

So recently my 2 terabite disk died with 1.5 terabite data on it. I've been to computer engineers in near city and they told me its dead mechanicly and if they would want to try to get the data out of it it would cost 715$ wich is too much for me... I heard there are some programs that can recover data, but idk if from mine, http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRecthis one cant do it because to make this program look into my disc, disc would have to be in BIOS when its connected, wich is not..

this is my last hope, if theres someone who experienced this and solved it without paying 715$ or anything, tell me please

I've got no idea, but data recovery is indeed very very expensive, so unless you had something extremely important (like it'll ruin your life without it) I'd say cut your looses and start over. It might be hard at first but in 1 month you'll be over it :)

Edit: Also, it can't be worse than Linus' issue:

If you're someone like my who has all their homework and coursework on the cloud. Don't bother. The only downside for me is that i'd need to take my PC to a friends house to re-download all my games (I have about 300kb/s max where I live. It said it would take GTA V 22 days to download)

If it's "dead" (which is about as useful as going to a Doctor and him telling you you're "unwell"), there's nothing you can do other than have the professional sort it.

This is why we back up data ;)

If it's "dead" (which is about as useful as going to a Doctor and him telling you you're "unwell"), there's nothing you can do other than have the professional sort it.

This is why we back up data ;)

Or have a cloud ;)

Get a clean room and move the physical discs to another casing with working parts

that's kinda why it's expensive

why do you have 1.5 terrabites of stuff? what's on it that you need? :P

It's 100% cringe compilations and memes

happy EDIT: 669th post :^) (^:

videos

Well, fellow forumers, we dodged a huge bullet.

We won't have to experience happyedits cringe dank videos.

I have had tried a trick before that does work where you can put the drive in the freezer. You will only get one shot to boot it up and move the data over, and honestly I don't know how much of 1.5 TB you could pull off. If it does work, go for the folders with the most valuable data. Otherwise, send it off to a company and they will recover your data, but it will cost $500-1000 bucks to retrieve it. 

I have had tried a trick before that does work where you can put the drive in the freezer. You will only get one shot to boot it up and move the data over, and honestly I don't know how much of 1.5 TB you could pull off. If it does work, go for the folders with the most valuable data. Otherwise, send it off to a company and they will recover your data, but it will cost $500-1000 bucks to retrieve it. 

hmm, okay

Yeah pretty much all you're gonna hear is that you should've done regular backups of your files and just how expensive data recovery is on a dead drive. Pretty much all there is to be said.

Yeah pretty much all you're gonna hear is that you should've done regular backups of your files and just how expensive data recovery is on a dead drive. Pretty much all there is to be said.

rip me

oh well

Archived