How do you start out as a broker?

A Gifter From Walmart

i'm gonna be pretty blunt with this; don't take it as a personal disrespect. it's just a list of criteria people look for in brokers that you happen to have very few of.

lots and lots of rep posts on a trustworthy rep thread, including trades of significant value in which you had the opportunity to steal but did not

high backpack value

significant trading experience

several years on steam

lots of games, lots of hours in those games

i guess you could also add any kind of visible engagement with a community; you have never made an outpost trade, have no current listings on backpack, never voted or suggested. 

i'm gonna be pretty blunt with this; don't take it as a personal disrespect. it's just a list of criteria people look for in brokers that you happen to have very few of.

lots and lots of rep posts on a trustworthy rep thread, including trades of significant value in which you had the opportunity to steal but did not

high backpack value

significant trading experience

several years on steam

lots of games, lots of hours in those games

That makes sense I was just seeing if I had a chance, guess not.

That makes sense I was just seeing if I had a chance, guess not.

honestly if you like trading, why not just trade for yourself. you can broker later, or start small with people who have an actual reason to trust you outside of what your profiles on steam et cetera show. it's always going to appear shady when someone with minimal experience and minimal value wants to hold other people's valuable items for them; even if your motivation is just to be helpful. i've also personally known people who started brokering because they wanted to be a well known name with fancy unusuals on trade servers. they ended up raging because they could hardly get anything to show off and when they did they couldn't sell it for shit cause they had no experience. when they finally actually sold something for someone, they refused to give the owner the proceeds of the sale. it really doesn't offer any advantages to most users to let someone broker for them.

the main thing people look for in a broker (besides safety) is results.

for example a person like kuuko got dozens of requests because they were just great at trading. kuuko flipped items like it was nothing, so people wanted their items brokered. 

id recommend getting into trading yourself and if you go big, then people will realize youre good at trading and youll probably have a better chance with some customers.

good luck! have fun trading! :)

Lots of in game hours helps, weirdly enough. A nice bp will also help because it shows your commitment to the game. Being trustworthy is most important, skype with potential clients, keep them updated, draw up a contract ect.

And also +rep showing brokering history or that youve been lent items helps, helped me when i was brokering.

Well I'm one of those people who uses brokering service because I'm too busy IRL to take care of unusuals trading, so I'll give you what criteria I look for in a broker:

- Obviously clean account, must be over 2 years old.

- Premium on OP and bp prefered, but not a must.

- Rep thread dated long back.

- Bp value must excess my bp value, having unusuals in it so he will less likely to run with my items.

- Active within the community and well-knowned (example: cpg, mindacos) is a bonus, but not a must.

- If you have suggestions to price unusuals before and get accepted, it's a nice bonus but not a must.

- Experience in trading, I will check your past trades. If they are dated years/months back with high value items then you pass.

- Effective in broker. You can claim you have brokered this and that, but I will trace your bp history and past trades to check if it is legit and how long it took you to sell the items.

=> A check shows you fail all these criteria :/

Well I don't know if this can help but the things I've got since brokering is pretty much any of the following:
List down everything you want to do in brokering, with fees (If you're not doing it for free) (Starting for free, or a very low fee is a great way to start out) (Personally I wouldn't suggest aiming to brokering many big things) (I'd suggest including items you've brokered, how long it took you to sell them, and things like that.)
Also get premium on websites where they can also-bump every hour, or half hour, to help with your brokering, that's why most come to me, because they want their items seen more, and with premium/donator/whatever that is a reality.

Have a decently high steam level, I have 32, but I'd say about 10 or higher would do. (Just so you have a new thing on your profile unlocked, you unlock new slots every 10 levels)

Be on Steam at least a year, I'd say.

Get some decent reputation rolling in, I choose to use backpack.tf for my trust, including having a backpack.tf and bazaar.tf forum post for my brokering, and people can also post on there.

Decent backpack inventory value, I'd say... maybe.... 20 Keys in worth? (Maybe more) (This shouldn't include paint, strange parts, or killstreak prices on any items)

Have a decent amount of trades on your back, people like to see an experienced trader, whether it been small or large items (large items can have a smaller amount of trades) (For example, you can trade items around 5 refined about 100 times, or 5 key items about 40-odd times) If you get what I mean.

I'll try add to this as time goes on, but these are ones that just come off the top of my head for now. Hope this helps.

Archived