New Boot Drive SSD

Supervise

I just purchased a 240 gb SSD and would like to use it for my OS and a few applications. I am not sure what I should do considering I have all of my stuff on one partition on my HDD including 600+ gb of Steam games. Is there any way to split a partition into two so I can just migrate some of it over to the SSD?

Assuming Windows, you could go into Disk Management and create a second partition by first shrinking your primary one. I guess if you go that route you could put all the stuff you want to keep on the HDD in the second partition leave all the stuff you're going to transfer over in the first partition. (You'll probably have to shrink the 1st and extend the 2nd several times to get all those games and such in the second one.)

After that you can clone just the first partition over to your SSD and be able to boot off of that. I recommend the free version of Macrium Reflect since it's worked well for me multiple times.

Assuming Windows, you could go into Disk Management and create a second partition by first shrinking your primary one. I guess if you go that route you could put all the stuff you want to keep on the HDD in the second partition leave all the stuff you're going to transfer over in the first partition. (You'll probably have to shrink the 1st and extend the 2nd several times to get all those games and such in the second one.)

After that you can clone just the first partition over to your SSD and be able to boot off of that. I recommend the free version of Macrium Reflect since it's worked well for me multiple times.

I just decided to delete my games and then use some software to copy everything over. Thanks for the help though.

I just decided to delete my games and then use some software to copy everything over. Thanks for the help though.

I would highly recommend doing a fresh install onto the SSD rather than cloning as you will often run into performance-related issues if you just clone a drive. Not to mention you end up with a bunch of clutter/crap that's built up. 

I would highly recommend doing a fresh install onto the SSD rather than cloning as you will often run into performance-related issues if you just clone a drive. Not to mention you end up with a bunch of clutter/crap that's built up. 

Already cloned it and I've had no problems so far. I keep my storage really organized and make sure to get rid of unused junk, so I think I should be okay.

Already cloned it and I've had no problems so far. I keep my storage really organized and make sure to get rid of unused junk, so I think I should be okay.

It's not just an issue with clutter. SSDs work differently than HDDs and simply cloning will almost always yield worse performance. 

It's not just an issue with clutter. SSDs work differently than HDDs and simply cloning will almost always yield worse performance. 

I know, I've done it before with other computers. They work almost identically from my experience. If this is different for any reason I can always do a fresh install, but considering I boot in ~15 seconds and everything is working perfectly I should be good. Thanks for trying to help though.

Archived