Under Outpost Rule #6, I am a shark. Update #2 appeal denied [w/ pastebin]

jjjon123

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted · Hidden by polar, November 20, 2013 - Not relevant to discussion
Hidden by polar, November 20, 2013 - Not relevant to discussion

can someone tell me why this has attracted almost 100 posts?

While we're at it, how about we make lowballing illegal.

Jon lowballed on some chem sets and people took the deal, there was no lying nor manipulation in use.

While we're at it, how about we make lowballing illegal.

Jon lowballed on some chem sets and people took the deal, there was no lying nor manipulation in use.

It was not about the lowball.  His targeting of backpacks itself is the key.  When doing this search you know that most of the good chem sets he would find would be in packs whose owner literally didn't care.  These packs were probable loaded with other crap as well that the owner didn't have a chance to delete yet.  The targeting is meant to find those people particular people.  In effect, people who are unaware of their value.  Lets try this.  After Jjon adds someone he instead asks "may I have the most valuable thing in your pack for 20% of either what you paid to get it or what its currently valued at.  Success rate would drop considerably wouldn't it?

It was not about the lowball.  His targeting of backpacks itself is the key.  When doing this search you know that most of the good chem sets he would find would be in packs whose owner literally didn't care.  These packs were probable loaded with other crap as well that the owner didn't have a chance to delete yet.  The targeting is meant to find those people particular people.  In effect, people who are unaware of their value.  Lets try this.  After Jjon adds someone he instead asks "may I have the most valuable thing in your pack for 20% of either what you paid to get it or what its currently valued at.  Success rate would drop considerably wouldn't it?

Oh okay, in that case Trade.tf should be illegal because all it is is a scanner for websites that find good deals for you.

Yes success rate would drop considerably, and I think you'll be crowned worst trader for saying that too.

Oh okay, in that case Trade.tf should be illegal because all it is is a scanner for websites that find good deals for you.

Yes success rate would drop considerably, and I think you'll be crowned worst trader for saying that too.

Thats also a bit different as it doesn't scan bps, it scans trades. 

The main reason is that there are a lot of opinions and thoughts about Sharking/Scamming.  Some essentially pro some against and some trying to justify it or redifine it as to elude judgement.

The main reason is that there are a lot of opinions and thoughts about Sharking/Scamming.  Some essentially pro some against and some trying to justify it or redifine it as to elude judgement.

And ultimately all of this is pointless, it's a useless discussion. An incredibly opinionated discussion where everyone has their own input. Yeah, this'll go somewhere.

Posted · Hidden by polar, November 20, 2013 - Not relevant to discussion
Hidden by polar, November 20, 2013 - Not relevant to discussion

Can you tell me why you have 2,212 posts? :P

I shall use numbers, and lists, to state what I think. Because I'm so fucking pissed (the only time I come on Backpack.tf now is when I'm seriously drunk, because it's a joke site full of retards - yes, that includes whoever is reading this reply, you're a dunce hat personified, deal with it).

1. You are Sharking - you're using an external site/utility to find nooblets who have valuble items. Is this bad? Well, read on!
  2. Is it bad? Well, no. The people you're sharking don't really know the value of the item you're buying from them. To them, this is just getting an AWESOME key for a shitty item you can get anywhere!
  3. But you're still sharking, yes? Well, yes you are, but it's not harming anyone. Should you be banned from outpost? Continue on!
  4. Should you be bannd from Outpost? Fuck no. You're contacting these people DIRECTLY, not though Outpost. So why the fuck should you be banned from OP? CONTINUE ON!
  5. Should you be banned from Oupost? No. You really shouldn't. It has nothing to do with outpost.
  6. Should you have your Admin rights revoked from BP.tf? This is a tricky one. Yes you should - if BP.tf cares about the integrity of its Admins,but ALSO - No you shouldn't - if BP.tf also cares about its reputation and its Admin team.

You sharked some awesome deals. You didn't exploit Outpost, and you didin't exploit your position on BP.tf, the ONLY reasons you're getting a slap on the wrist from Brad-overlord of prices-prick, is because Outpost (or some old, jealous, fucker somewhere) went out of their way to make an example of your trading.

Is this fair? Fuck no. I'm sure Brad has exploited his postion countless times since his 'super-mega-awesome-site' went TF2 global, but no one would point that out would they? Fuck no, it's Brad-fucking-Pitt.

I'm drunk as a skunk. Do what you will, BP.tf admins (lol, wolfie, what an admin), but jjjjjjjooooon has done NOTHING wrong. Either disband him completely, or defend him. Doing nothing is just showing your ineptitude.

And ultimately all of this is pointless, it's a useless discussion. An incredibly opinionated discussion where everyone has their own input. Yeah, this'll go somewhere.

This thread was to give people a place to voice their thoughts on what Jjon did.  He was a mod.  I think he accepted my first price change.  This was not some scammer trying to pull shit out there in trading land. His activity effects the integrity of the site.  Look at this British idiot pokey.  A lot of people always think that a major entity is corrupt.  There has to be a public expression, from the site, of what occurred and ultimately this whole thing lead to his dismissal.  It is a good showing for the people here, and him, that he turned himself in when he thought his activity might be considered wrong.  He should be commended for this.

So...he has 67 posts about how his dick is smaller than American dicks.  Something like that.

I shall use numbers, and lists, to state what I think. Because I'm so fucking pissed (the only time I come on Backpack.tf now is when I'm seriously drunk, because it's a joke site full of retards - yes, that includes whoever is reading this reply, you're a dunce hat personified, deal with it).

1. You are Sharking - you're using an external site/utility to find nooblets who have valuble items. Is this bad? Well, read on!
  2. Is it bad? Well, no. The people you're sharking don't really know the value of the item you're buying from them. To them, this is just getting an AWESOME key for a shitty item you can get anywhere!
  3. But you're still sharking, yes? Well, yes you are, but it's not harming anyone. Should you be banned from outpost? Continue on!
  4. Should you be bannd from Outpost? Fuck no. You're contacting these people DIRECTLY, not though Outpost. So why the fuck should you be banned from OP? CONTINUE ON!
  5. Should you be banned from Oupost? No. You really shouldn't. It has nothing to do with outpost.
  6. Should you have your Admin rights revoked from BP.tf? This is a tricky one. Yes you should - if BP.tf cares about the integrity of its Admins,but ALSO - No you shouldn't - if BP.tf also cares about its reputation and its Admin team.

You sharked some awesome deals. You didn't exploit Outpost, and you didin't exploit your position on BP.tf, the ONLY reasons you're getting a slap on the wrist from Brad-overlord of prices-prick, is because Outpost (or some old, jealous, fucker somewhere) went out of their way to make an example of your trading.

Is this fair? Fuck no. I'm sure Brad has exploited his postion countless times since his 'super-mega-awesome-site' went TF2 global, but no one would point that out would they? Fuck no, it's Brad-fucking-Pitt.

I'm drunk as a skunk. Do what you will, BP.tf admins (lol, wolfie, what an admin), but jjjjjjjooooon has done NOTHING wrong. Either disband him completely, or defend him. Doing nothing is just showing your ineptitude.

I like your pov sans the blatant slander/attack towards a few individuals.

• 1 month later...

[...] Because I'm so fucking pissed (the only time I come on Backpack.tf now is when I'm seriously drunk, because it's a joke site full of retards - yes, that includes whoever is reading this reply, you're a dunce hat personified, deal with it).

[...] Fuck no, it's Brad-fucking-Pitt. [...]

I'm drunk as a skunk. Do what you will, BP.tf admins (lol, wolfie, what an admin) [...]

Inb4 ban

Does Helen understand economics? Claiming that greed and "sharking" ruin economies is utter bullcrap. Too bad for the idiots who lose valuable items, but for economies this is good.

And she wpuld be the worst libertarian ever if she wants laws enforced on what would be reasonable trades ( the part where she says she wants Valve to enforce rules).

Furthermore this is completely overruling the trias politica and changing the eules after a case happened and thwn using thoe new rules.

Both economically and legally this response is hilariously dumb

I think that J-j-jon's ban was unreasonable and worth further investigation, but being revoked as a admin is not really helping anyone. J-j-jon was one of my favorite moderators, and I don't understand how obtaining chemistry sets that are essentially unpriceable can constitute for not being able to help the community with their suggestions. I think that outpost should reconsider their ban of J-j-jon and he in no way deserves to be demoted. Especially with the rising case of Garry and how he got away with shit much worse than this makes me really angry that this can happen.

I define sharking as the practice of deliberately seeking to take advantage of other people's ignorance of the value of items specifically for the purpose of one's own personal gain.  OP's little escapades clearly fall under that definition; it doesn't matter if he lied to anyone at any point in the execution of his plan.  He's still a shark.  I consider his own watered down version of events to be a clear admission of guilt.  His activities were obviously carefully premeditated, especially in selection of his targets.

I know my opinion probably doesn't count for much, but I personally see no reason to lift the ban and I think it was fully justified.

Archived