Pricing for lower value painted items

Shy Ronnie FYPM Vintage

So I have been trading a lot of items recently that have been painted white/black recently.  Knowing how the pricing here works here for say craft hats that are painted black, I knew I would have to come to my own conclusions regarding pricing and it has been working pretty well thus far.

Currently this is how the site handles pricing on painted items:

"If the item is painted, the item will get a 85% bonus from the price of the paint, up to a maximum of 2x the original item value. For example, if an item is 1 rec, it will never be worth more than 2 rec even if it's painted white. But if it's worth 10 keys, it will get the full 85% paint price bonus."

This doesn't really work when you are trying to figure out what the true worth of your item is, especially on items that have a lower value than the paint.  So lets say I have a Ghastly Gibus painted White (I do, stop laughing).  There will be people willing to buy this hat but it is highly unlikely that they will pay the full hat price + the paint price.  What I do instead is I price it at just the paint price and then they basically get the hat for free.  This is a much stronger indicator of the value of the hat and I have had a lot of luck pricing this way on my trades.

Thoughts?

So I have been trading a lot of items recently that have been painted white/black recently.  Knowing how the pricing here works here for say craft hats that are painted black, I knew I would have to come to my own conclusions regarding pricing and it has been working pretty well thus far.

Currently this is how the site handles pricing on painted items:

"If the item is painted, the item will get a 85% bonus from the price of the paint, up to a maximum of 2x the original item value. For example, if an item is 1 rec, it will never be worth more than 2 rec even if it's painted white. But if it's worth 10 keys, it will get the full 85% paint price bonus."[/size]

This doesn't really work when you are trying to figure out what the true worth of your item is, especially on items that have a lower value than the paint.  So lets say I have a Ghastly Gibus painted White (I do, stop laughing).  There will be people willing to buy this hat but it is highly unlikely that they will pay the full hat price + the paint price.  What I do instead is I price it at just the paint price and then they basically get the hat for free.  This is a much stronger indicator of the value of the hat and I have had a lot of luck pricing this way on my trades.

Thoughts?

Except you'll never get 2.5+ keys for a white Gatsby...

From my experience (which is a pitifully sat amount), 50% of the paint value+the hat works pretty well for high tier paints (gold and up), With lower tier paints (1 ref+) being around 30%, and crap paints being virtually nothing (maybe a scrap). Then you have to consider that craft hats don't sell well painted at all, so a 1.33 ref Craft hat(it has to be a craft hat that isn't really in demand), would only gain like 30% from a high tier paint.

Damn, I'm "that guy" that posts the irrelevant topic that's been discussed to death already.  I need to explore the forums a bit deeper it looks like.  Thanks for the links Jymotion and thanks for the alternate perspective AwesomeMcCoolName. :)

Damn, I'm "that guy" that posts the irrelevant topic that's been discussed to death already.  I need to explore the forums a bit deeper it looks like.

Eh, no harm done.  Two of those links were from the old forums and a consensus still has not been made.  It's a difficult thing to generalize with a simple algorithm.

I agree on paints on Gibus hats, they are really valued low. While there are collectors who are looking for painted Gibus hats that pay a decent price. I used to have a collection and I paid like 4 or 5 ref for white painted Gibus. While they were valued 1 ref at that time on bp.tf

Archived