Games Look Choppy in Windowed Mode

Uncle Dong

For some games windowed mode looks stuttery and low FPS like.

For example when i play minecraft in windowed mode i get constant 120fps (could go higher but i had it locked at 120)

but it doesnt look smooth at all and it looks like 24fps.

I changed to fullscreen and it looked really smooth and i didnt get any stutters.

What is the reason for this?

its 2 months old

That doesn't mean it's not dying.

It sounds like it could also be a VRAM related issue as when in fullscreen you're not rendering the desktop/what's open on it. Open up MSI Afterburner and keep an eye on your CPU, GPU, RAM, and VRAM usages.

Edit: the latest set of Nvidia drivers seem to be causing a mess for certain cards. I have no idea if the GT740 is one of them though.

It sounds like it could also be a VRAM related issue as when in fullscreen you're not rendering the desktop/what's open on it. Open up MSI Afterburner and keep an eye on your CPU, GPU, RAM, and VRAM usages.

Edit: the latest set of Nvidia drivers seem to be causing a mess for certain cards. I have no idea if the GT740 is one of them though.

they only have issues with multimonitor setups, reverting back/installing them with only one connected fixes it

and the drivers dont even do anything with game performance

I have had this problem with my old GPU, a GT 630 

Im not getting performance issues of any kind nor am i overheating. Its just that some games in windowed mode kinda looks choppy.

Like Dark souls 2 and minecraft. other games dont have this issue.

And its not a constant choppy it comes and goes

I have had this problem with my old GPU, a GT 630 

Im not getting performance issues of any kind nor am i overheating. Its just that some games in windowed mode kinda looks choppy.

Like Dark souls 2 and minecraft. other games dont have this issue.

And its not a constant choppy it comes and goes

What's your cpu, gpu, ram, and vram usage?

Actually, couldn't this have something to do with the fact than when you're running a game in windowed mode the GPU has to render not only the game but also everything else in Windows as opposed to fullscreen mode where it only renders the game? 

Actually, couldn't this have something to do with the fact than when you're running a game in windowed mode the GPU has to render not only the game but also everything else in Windows as opposed to fullscreen mode where it only renders the game?

hence why I want to know the VRAM usage ;)

Archived