Is the Long-Distance Knives Kid Sharking?

Julia Gillard the Honest

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/15592593

We've all been watching him the whole time. Here he has screenshots of his discussions with this "close friend" of his. http://i.imgur.com/zHvZ6ko.png http://i.imgur.com/PKkWZhI.png http://i.imgur.com/FOpJeT0.png Clearly he's not a "close friend" but just someone who shouldn't be ignored because of the great offer from so long ago. Yeah, this trader totally has a right to demand that a kid at school loads Steam every day.

Here's the other trade with the offer.

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/13327314

The person who offered $1000: http://www.tf2outpost.com/user/355102 His Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198085418805 "Hi, Im Pickstarr. Im Trying to work myself up to a bills, and then a bud! I enjoy trading and I liek cookies."

The original offer was in August so clearly someone's a bit sure that this is his best offer. I'm also a bit concerned about those screenshots. They're very cropped to the point that the conversation's not even overlapping. Personally I hate that whole "Come on, just throw me another $200. It's not much but I'll definitely take it. ;)" to a kid, but that's not my issue here. Someone who's unable to afford a Bill's Hat is clearly being manipulated here. How is he being manipulated? I can't see the other conversations, but it looks like he's being bullied from the start of that conversation. Thus I suspect a breach of Outpost's rules here. Regarding the conversation, why would this kid offer to freely pay $1000 first to someone who doesn't seem to have any reputation? https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=ctrl&ei=kJ1-UoC6H-PC8geu8YCoBQ&gws_rd=cr#q=76561198061436237 This is how scams happen.

How would a kid who cant afford a bills and a bud , afford sending 1000$ for the knife.

Those items are rare and i would expect collectors to pay a pretty penny. If that kid ends up buying them, i dont see anything wrong. 

Where do you see anything about sharking ? If anything i see the guy with the knives getting a massive chargeback if he does end up selling for 1000$

How would a kid who cant afford a bills and a bud , afford sending 1000$ for the knife.

Those items are rare and i would expect collectors to pay a pretty penny. If that kid ends up buying them, i dont see anything wrong. 

Where do you see anything about sharking ? If anything i see the guy with the knives getting a massive chargeback if he does end up selling for 1000$

You're right, it's not really sharking. It's definitely some heavy manipulation though.

This "buyer" hasn't even played TF2 recently and he has fifty Spy hours. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198085418805/stats/TF2/?tab=stats I'd be willing to bet money that he isn't a collector but has simply been told some garbage along the lines of "This is worth heaps. It'll make you so much money. It's in your interest to buy this." The seller got these for a Robo-Sandvich, which seems to be a large multiple (considering its value at the time) of any other offers aside from this $1000 one. I haven't but I'm feeling a bit like adding this buyer to tell him not to pay for these, even if he really does have this money.

Is it wrong to hope that the owner of the knives gets a chargeback for expecting this to happen?

there's a difference between sharking and other ways of scamming

I can't think of what words to use for this other than massive exploitation of someone who is likely a minor (since he's still in school). :P

Have you tried adding the guy who offered 1000$ and just tell him its not worth it? 

I've thought about that but in the past I've learnt plenty from angry traders about how it's rude trader etiquette and all of that. This leads to the interesting discussion: What's the difference between ruining someone's profit and helping someone with an unwise trade?

I've thought about that but in the past I've learnt plenty from angry traders about how it's rude trader etiquette and all of that. This leads to the interesting discussion: What's the difference between ruining someone's profit and helping someone with an unwise trade?

don't unless they ask for help/they bring it up on a server or something (i.e. don't just randomly approach the person--especially since i highly doubt he's going to pay 1k for it). 

he has admitted that he is a teanager. and even if its real then it comes for a trade hes gonna be like oh shit, Im working ~4 months for 2 items in a virtual game..

he has admitted that he is a teanager. and even if its real then it comes for a trade hes gonna be like oh shit, Im working ~4 months for 2 items in a virtual game..

Also, he's not exactly a devoted player so he'll hardly use them. These are items that could take so long to sell for more than he's offered to pay that TF2 will probably be dead by that time.

Also, he's not exactly a devoted player so he'll hardly use them. These are items that could take so long to sell for more than he's offered to pay that TF2 will probably be dead by that time.

it will never sell for 1k, even tf2 never died.

Have you tried adding the guy who offered 1000$ and just tell him its not worth it? 

And you'll be ruining a potential trade for a seller. Thats not a good thing to do. 

If they add you and ask if its a good deal then you can voice your opinion but you shouldnt actively try to force your idea of a collector item value to a potential buyer to make it so the seller cant sell his item. People paid 25+ and 35+ buds for v buds and v max heads. And they were duped, look at them now. A collectors item future re sell value potential shouldnt be a concern

I still don't see anything wrong with how much he will get and from who he will get it from. 

You never know if that buyer really wants to collect that really rare item. And will pay top dollar for it. 

The only thing wrong with the trade was how it was a show off trade and how rude the seller was on the outpost forums. 

And you'll be ruining a potential trade for a seller. Thats not a good thing to do. 

If they add you and ask if its a good deal then you can voice your opinion but you shouldnt actively try to force your idea of a collector item value to a potential buyer to make it so the seller cant sell his item. People paid 25+ and 35+ buds for v buds and v max heads. And they were duped, look at them now. A collectors item future re sell value potential shouldnt be a concern

I still don't see anything wrong with how much he will get and from who he will get it from. 

You never know if that buyer really wants to collect that really rare item. And will pay top dollar for it. 

The only thing wrong with the trade was how it was a show off trade and how rude the seller was on the outpost forums. 

It's probably more of a moral concern from watching someone who, to me, seems like a man offering a child on his way to school three magic beans if the child gives the man his father's credit card (or something similar).

It's probably more of a moral concern from watching someone who, to me, seems like a man offering a child on his way to school three magic beans if the child gives the man his father's credit card (or something similar).

Its not like that at all though. 

Rare 1 of 7 item value is priceless. Whatever a user whats to pay and whatever it takes for the seller to let go for. 

Both users arent veteran traders and the buyer has 400 hrs on tf2 I had about that much when i was pulling in lots of profit in trade. And the seller has 800 hrs. 

I of course believe that 500 each is steep. And that 300$ each is more reasonable. But look at the cow manglers theyre worth a butt load and theyre just as rare

Its not like that at all though. 

Rare 1 of 7 item value is priceless. Whatever a user whats to pay and whatever it takes for the seller to let go for. 

Both users arent veteran traders and the buyer has 400 hrs on tf2 I had about that much when i was pulling in lots of profit in trade. And the seller has 800 hrs. 

I of course believe that 500 each is steep. And that 300$ each is more reasonable. But look at the cow manglers theyre worth a butt load and theyre just as rare

Alright, I concede defeat! :P Actually, new explanation: To me, it looks like he's going out of his way to keep persuading a minor that he wants to blow his money on this product, from how they spoke in that conversation. From how he speaks to his "good friend" I'd certainly never trade with him.

Why do you guys even give a flying f***...

Even so, collectible items are worth whatever people are willing to pay, so in this case $1000. The painted Cow Mangler and this item are in the same category, both glitched and extremely rare when a quick patch was placed in. And the Cow Mangler sells for a lot.

Have any of you noticed how BSOD sounds like a droid at all times in his posts? For the love of god get a personality, stop speaking like an intelligent Ai.

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not an unintelligent Artificial Intelligence.

Have any of you noticed how BSOD sounds like a droid at all times in his posts? For the love of god get a personality, stop speaking like an intelligent Ai.

I just noticed that the other was rude

Archived