Wired network issues

t0night

My connection currently is getting me 1 Mbps down when my housemates laptop on wifi is getting 39 down.

i've reset everything multiple times, installed windows updates and driver updates, never had this issue before until yesterday evening. my pc doesn't have a wireless network card because i had no reason to believe wireless would be more reliable in a house with 5 other people all on the wifi. 

my plan is to buy some new ethernet cables and check that they aren't causing an issue, and if that fails, replace the ethernet adapters themselves, but if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime that would be great.

my laptop on wifi

5097299757.png

same laptop on wired connection

5097313736.png

so it's not the pc network card that is at fault, pretty clearly the adapters, but why now? i can't say that anything else in the set up has changed at all...

edit again:

back to pc and literally a couple of minutes later

5097324792.png

what the shit is going on

Contact your ISP

it's working on wireless and inconsistently on wired connection; the supply to my house is not an issue. did you read the thread or nah?

What do your ethernet cables say? Check the wires and make sure they say CAT5 or CAT6. Anything lower is going to be your bottleneck.

cat 5, and i've had them and the wired adapters for about 4 months with no previous issues.

Replace your Ethernet cable

yes b0ss

wire your laptop straight into the modem and see what would you get -- you should be getting the full speed that you pay for (or somewhat close to it). If that works then i would restore the router to defaults (or replacing the router if restoring defaults doesnt fix it).

wire your laptop straight into the modem and see what would you get -- you should be getting the full speed that you pay for (or somewhat close to it). If that works then i would restore the router to defaults (or replacing the router if restoring defaults doesnt fix it).

my friend did that and got 39 down again. no problems with ISP or router; i'm thinking one or more of my ethernet cables/adapters is fuckin around from being on for too long. lesson learned i guess; gonna replace the cables first and then the adapters if that doesn't work.

edit: tested both my cables direct to router; no issues with either. replugged everything to the pc; suddenly go from 1 down to 5 down. 

been looking at the configuration options for my network client as per the adapter manufacturer suggestion http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-737.html

at first it seemed that switching from auto-negotiation to 100mbps half-duplex made it twice as fast, then i realised any option i selected (including going back to autonegotiation, the default) was now working more than twice as fast at 12 down. 

seems like the efficiency of the adapters is randomly varying? probably gonna replace them still.

well apparently it turns out that it's best not to use them out of extension leads. plugged that shit straight into the wall and it's good news folks. hopefully this helps anyone with a similar set up if they're having issues.

5099467947.png

Archived