Is Malwarebytes a good antivirus?

Explosion-chan

I was considering buying it instead of just the trial cause I'm paranoid after accidentally downloading a virus and immediately purging my computer five times with Malwarebytes.

Most antivirus software doesn't really do shit, it only makes your PC slower and installs "awesome" toolbars that make your internet experience "safer".

If you know not to download stuff from websites like hackscam.ru, all you need is a firewall and maybe the Windows Defender. 

Edit: 666 posts, didn't even realise. Woo.

Malwarebytes isn't an anti-virus, it's an anti-malware hence the name. The free trial does the job well enough. If you want a great anti-virus look to kaspersky or bitdefender. 

Most antivirus software doesn't really do shit, it only makes your PC slower and installs "awesome" toolbars that make your internet experience "safer".

this isn't the year 2000 anymore...

I honestly have no clue, I just use free Avast and Malwarebytes.  They seem to be doing the job, at least I hope :P

are you my brother

Seriously, I have the exact same  :blink:

If you know not to download stuff from websites like hackscam.ru, all you need is a firewall and maybe the Windows Defender. 

Word

I have an outdated free version of Norton - basically no anti-virus.

I think I've factory restored my computer twice now because other people kept looking for dodgy shit (one of my parents was looking for a downloadable version of Microsoft Word because I only had a trial version lol) so yeah, if you keep your wits about you, you technically won't even need anti-virus.

It's a bad idea to talk about things you know nothing about.

Iirc malwarebytes is pretty good, but it's subscription based

http://www.av-comparatives.org

I'd still rather grab something I know was tested by these guys.

If you're paranoid get these:

Spyware Blaster

Spybot- Search and Destroy

SUPER AntiSpyware

Malwarebytes 

Avast

Update once a week and scan like every 2 weeks, 

It's a bad idea to talk about things you know nothing about.

Iirc malwarebytes is pretty good, but it's subscription based

http://www.av-comparatives.org

I'd still rather grab something I know was tested by these guys.

I've gone 3 years without a proper antivirus program and nothing ever happened

You really don't even need an antivirus as long as you know what you're doing on the internet, but malewarebytes is one of the better ones on the market. I went 2 years without an antivirus, clean as a whistle.

You really don't even need an antivirus as long as you know what you're doing on the internet, but malewarebytes is one of the better ones on the market. I went 2 years without an antivirus, clean as a whistle.

I've been without an antivirus for about 5 or 6 years now, this is the first problem I had. It was mostly because I was sleepy and though Cnet was a safe site to download programs.

I've been without an antivirus for about 5 or 6 years now, this is the first problem I had. It was mostly because I was sleepy and though Cnet was a safe site to download programs.

That site looks phishy as hell, why do people fall for this

That site looks phishy as hell, why do people fall for this

Usually the actual download links, not the ads, not the installers, are safe.

Sweet non sequitur .

" Most antivirus software doesn't really do shit, it only makes your PC slower and installs "awesome" toolbars that make your internet experience "safer"."

Well if you want to get rid of the antivirus, Malwarebytes should do that for you.

Well if you want to get rid of the antivirus, Malwarebytes should do that for you.

Already nuked the virus. 5 scans, 2 full scans

Windows Defender does the job for me. Just watch what you download and you'd be fine. Never a bad idea to keep a backup of your files.

If anything, I'd recommend Avast. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived