Old PC's/ your first PC

Professional Map Painter

I'm feeling nostalgic so why not.

iirc mine was a pre-built win 95 (later 98) that was used to run stuff like old ID/Apogee games on floppies (Commander Keen, Cosmo, Crystal Caves etc), NFS Road Challenge, Flight Sim 98, Civ 2 and the wonderful IE6. Think we then donated it to the local school and got a Win ME (later XP) e-machines PC, might've been a forerunner to the T6000 but I'm not sure.

From what I can remember it had 512 MB of RAM and a 50 GB hard drive. Much fun was had playing Microsoft Train Simulator, Robot Wars, Midtown Madness, Chris Sawyer's Locomotion/RCT etc. USB mice didn't exist back then, either.

Literally this computer. Windows 95. Floppy disk, anyone?

PRODPIC-5043.jpg

Fat CRT monitors, I sure don't miss them.

I don't even remember the specs of my very first computer, but my second computer was a Gateway running a Pentium 2, 128mb RAM, 12GB HDD, running W98. My third computer was a much better custom build with an Athlon 64 3000+, 1GB RAM, 250gb HDD, and XP Media Center. 

I cant remember exactly what was my first pc but it has 256 mb ram, cant remember GHZ, but i remember that copying movie 1.4 gb was taking 1-2 hour, Also it was desktop pc :D plus i remember it had maybe 70 gb C disk and 30 gb D disk HDD partition'ed not sure exactly. In 2009-2010 i bought this my current pc with 4gb ram, 3.10ghz and it really differs from the previous i had lol. Good old times, was actually jealous about my friend having laptop pc with 512gb ram lol because it was LAPTOP small and more poverfull than my pc was... haha.

I didn't really have a computer or internet until later in life when I was around my teens. Since I didn't know about computer hardware back then I asked my parents for a crappy late 2008 Macbook with 2GB of RAM, some weak Dual Core processor and a 160GB Hard Drive.

It was when they barely came out with those cool looking aluminum unibody Macbook's.

Worst decision of my life. That thing could not run games at all. The OSX operating system was restrictive too with what was compatible with it.

It looked cool and had a nice trackpad. Other than that it was junk. More of a really expensive netbook than a laptop.

I didn't really have a computer or internet until later in life when I was around my teens. Since I didn't know about computer hardware back then I asked my parents for a crappy late 2008 Macbook with 2GB of RAM, some weak Dual Core processor and a 160GB Hard Drive.

It was when they barely came out with those cool looking aluminum unibody Macbook's.

Worst decision of my life. That thing could not run games at all. The OSX operating system was restrictive too with what was compatible with it.

It looked cool and had a nice trackpad. Other than that it was junk. More of a really expensive netbook than a laptop.

I have the same laptop and even to this day it still runs well with an SSD thrown in it. The only reason I upgraded (and only two and a half years ago at that) is because as a power user 4gb of RAM and a dual core became troublesome. But for everyday usage it's still a great system even now for most people. 

I have the same laptop and even to this day it still runs well with an SSD thrown in it. The only reason I upgraded (and only two and a half years ago at that) is because as a power user 4gb of RAM and a dual core became troublesome. But for everyday usage it's still a great system even now for most people. 

You always seem to disagree with me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well I got sick of that paperweight. You do know that even though Apple states 4GB of RAM is the maximum it actually supports 8GB of RAM. I even put in a cheap Patriot SSD that was on sale at Fry's as well.

The games that we're compatible with OSX still weren't fluid enough even at crappy resolutions. Way too much stuttering and too choppy. Even with 8GB of Memory.

Now of course Mac's aren't for gaming. But like I said I didn't know about computer hardware back then. Otherwise I would've just built a PC with the hardware and PC cases that we're available at the time. December 2008.

All the SSD did was make booting up a lot faster. You can't upgrade the GPU, nor the CPU. I ended up getting rid of it and giving it to my cousin once I realized it was a overpriced netbook.

It did look cool, and I bet that's a major selling point for Apple to induce a impulsive buy.

My first personal computer was a 386 no name brand that came with MSDOS and I pretty much just used it for QBasic. I later upgraded it to Windows 3.11 (like 7 floppy install disks if I remember correctly), I was 16 years old. Our first Family computer was a Packard Bell 486 that ran Windows 95 and it had a 14.4 modem (I still have and use to this day that same keyboard from that computer). I remember installing the AOL 3 floppy disk that came in the mail with whatever 500 free hours on it and taking 30 - 60 mins to download an MP3.

My first personal computer was a 386 no name brand that came with MSDOS and I pretty much just used it for QBasic. I later upgraded it to Windows 3.11 (like 7 floppy install disks if I remember correctly), I was 16 years old. Our first Family computer was a Packard Bell 486 that ran Windows 95 and it had a 14.4 modem (I still have and use to this day that same keyboard from that computer). I remember installing the AOL 3 floppy disk that came in the mail with whatever 500 free hours on it and taking 30 - 60 mins to download an MP3.

more about specs? :D

My first was built in 2015, used to love playing the old games like Euro Truck Sim, GTA 5, DiRT Rally, all the usuals you know? Just thinking about it makes me nostalgic

You always seem to disagree with me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well I got sick of that paperweight. You do know that even though Apple states 4GB of RAM is the maximum it actually supports 8GB of RAM. I even put in a cheap Patriot SSD that was on sale at Fry's as well.

The games that we're compatible with OSX still weren't fluid enough even at crappy resolutions. Way too much stuttering and too choppy. Even with 8GB of Memory.

Now of course Mac's aren't for gaming. But like I said I didn't know about computer hardware back then. Otherwise I would've just built a PC with the hardware and PC cases that we're available at the time. December 2008.

All the SSD did was make booting up a lot faster. You can't upgrade the GPU, nor the CPU. I ended up getting rid of it and giving it to my cousin once I realized it was a overpriced netbook.

It did look cool, and I bet that's a major selling point for Apple to induce a impulsive buy.

You also have to keep in mind that no laptops back in 2007 could handle gaming even half decently. Mobile GPUs were trash back then. But even today, a Mac isn't a great choice for gaming due to a lack of a powerful GPU (which is missing in most ultrabooks in order to preserve battery life, dimensions, and cost). Also, RAM is basically never the limiting factor in gaming -- back when it was released 4gb was MORE than enough to game on. 

You can't upgrade the GPU or CPU in any other laptops either -- yes, some laptops have CPUs that aren't soldered down, but generally there isn't all that much upgrade room either due to the limited socket or the limited cooling system in the laptop. Either you're going to be making a big performance jump (dual core i7 to quad core i7, in which case the cooling system -- regardless of the laptop -- would be unable to properly handle the new chip) or it's going to be a slight clock speed boost (which won't net you much performance anyway). In either event, Macs have and still do come with top end CPUs -- so there wouldn't be an upgrade path even if they weren't soldered down regardless. An SSD does a lot more than just improve boot times, it makes using the entire device a much smoother experience. 

A refurbished 15" Macbook Pro my Freshman year of Highschool. 

Coming from a family with only Apple devices (Phones, Tablets, 4 iMacs, and 3 Macbooks) I was excited just to save up and buy my own laptop for once. A lot of people would probably criticize me on my choice of computer, but I loved that Laptop. Still using it now as a work computer, actually. Does everything I need it to, and still manages to work like a charm almost six years later. My Gaming PC far exceeds this in every way, shape and form- but hell I don't think it'll last six years without something breaking. Apple has the whole "durability" thing right. 

I had windows 95 very shortly after i changed to windows 98 on my pc:

My specs were:

White monitor box

And White pc that ran amazing current gen games and accepted floppies (games current at the time  :lol: , like commandos, tiberian sun, red alert, unreal tournament, quake and sorts)

The good old days of this:

more about specs? :D

Eh, going off memory I can't really remember RAM or HDD space or things like that. I remember the modem so well because it was a big deal and the fastest available at the time I think (56K either wasn't around yet or was just too expensive for home computers). The 486 had a CD-Rom drive, I remember that lol.

*edit, did a google image search this is exactly what it looked like! Probably not the exact same model though  http://www.historicalcomputers.com/PackardBell/Force-53CD/PackardBell_Force-53CD_486.jpg

*edit2, historicalcomputers.com ?!?!?! :(

About 10 years ago, I used to share a old WIN XP laptop with a few other members of my family. I think it was a Compaq, but I'm not too sure. My second one, which I shared again, was a full on desktop. It had an AMD Athlon 64. I believe we got it around '07/'08, so it of course had Vista on it. More recently (2 years ago), it was the first PC I downloaded TF2 on until I got a more modern PC in late 2014. I was then given the PC to use myself. After this, I now own 2 laptops (1 being used for gaming), 4 PCs, 2 being used for gaming and my phone, of course.

I also shared a XP tower too, but I can't remember that much about it, other than I used to play club penguin and moshi monsters on it, as well as watch Youtube, so I figured I'd put the Compaq Presario Vista Desktop as my Second rather than my first. That was roughly when I was 8/9 years old, I believe.

Oh man, the good old days. The only thing I remember was that my first pc had and AMD cpu (Athlon?) clocked at 1.6Ghz with Win98? maybe Win95, and a monitor that weighed about 50lbs. It was enough to play Quake on and that was enough for me.

You also have to keep in mind that no laptops back in 2007 could handle gaming even half decently. Mobile GPUs were trash back then. But even today, a Mac isn't a great choice for gaming due to a lack of a powerful GPU (which is missing in most ultrabooks in order to preserve battery life, dimensions, and cost). Also, RAM is basically never the limiting factor in gaming -- back when it was released 4gb was MORE than enough to game on. 

You can't upgrade the GPU or CPU in any other laptops either -- yes, some laptops have CPUs that aren't soldered down, but generally there isn't all that much upgrade room either due to the limited socket or the limited cooling system in the laptop. Either you're going to be making a big performance jump (dual core i7 to quad core i7, in which case the cooling system -- regardless of the laptop -- would be unable to properly handle the new chip) or it's going to be a slight clock speed boost (which won't net you much performance anyway). In either event, Macs have and still do come with top end CPUs -- so there wouldn't be an upgrade path even if they weren't soldered down regardless. An SSD does a lot more than just improve boot times, it makes using the entire device a much smoother experience. 

Uhm I got it at the end of 2008. They didn't have the aluminum unibody macbook in 2007. Yes I know Mac's aren't for gaming but like I said, I didn't know about computer hardware back then.

Either way what I was trying to get across was that I could've had much more performance with that $1,000+ my parents spent on that netbook with a fancy enclosure had I just had computer hardware knowledge.

Heck I could've been playing Team Fortress 2 since 2008-2009 but I couldn't with that overpriced thing. I could've had a way more powerful desktop with a Radeon 3870 which had GDDR4 in 2008 or a Nvidia 8800 GT which had GDDR3 and a i7 920 which was a quad core that came out Quarter 4 of 2008. Right around the time I got that crappy macbook.

All for around that $1,000. Plus maybe an extra $100 - $200 or so. That money could've have been spent more wisely on a desktop but unfortunately I didn't have the knowledge.

An HP 9000 model 735? I believe in 1989. I can't remember all the exact specs, but I'm pretty sure our hard drive was like 10 MB. The RAM memory I believe was like 128 KB. We still ran 5 1/4 floppys and had to boot programs through DOS. Later, when we got Windows 3.1, it was like the greatest thing ever to have an actual interface. Even upgrading to a 3 1/2 inch floppy was a luxury, and I remember in 7th grade when a kid got a CD Rom drive everybody flipped out. 

Best games back in the day: Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Cosmo, Secret Agent, Hover!, Scorched Earth (so freaking awesome), Kye, Lemmings. 

Dig in and you'll warp back to 1992. 

Scorched Earth Emulator - https://archive.org/details/msdos_Scorched_Earth_1991

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_Earth_(video_game)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmo%27s_Cosmic_Adventure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemmings_(video_game)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Agent_(video_game)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hover!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kye_(video_game)

What an epic thread! Mine was an oldschool pentium 4 machine from 2002 given to me by my brother. It had 2 gb of ddr400 and an ancient sapphire radeon card at 256mb haha. Ran minecraft at like, 30 fps and was unable to make skype calls at the same time, so i had a seperate laptop for skype :P Used to get hot, eventually got replaced by an amd apu machine which i have since given away.

I used it to play Ut1999, Ut2004, minecraft, and a bunch of other random games i torrented back in the day.

Looked very much like this hunk-of-junk

eJ1kmiv.jpg

Two games I remember playing a lot on this was the Hexen collection and Pitfall: Mayan Adventure. Fun yeaars

My first PC was a dell Dimension 4500

Insanely high spec gaming PC im talking about a 2.21Ghz Pentium 4 1GB RAM and a Rage 128 Ultra 32MB

It could play Unreal Tournament in 640x480 30fps 

Archived