Around the different keys

CapoFantasma97

As far as I know keys, and more specifically Mann Co Keys, are the main currency in TF2.

However there also exist other types of keys from different updates, events and seasons.

As a rough rule I see how keys are normally priced equally each other, taking the Mann Co Key as reference, while the newer ones for the first period are a little more expensive.

What I wonder however is how these other keys are "seen" in trades:

Would other keys be accepted normally like Mann Co Keys by other traders, or only some of them? And would they be priced like a "normal" plain Mann Co key, or would it be considered lower in price (in metal)?

TL:DR

If I buy other kind of keys, would they still be accepted like Mann Co Keys or I would find problems selling/using as currency/considered different in value? In backpack.tf of course there are references for that too, but they aren't set rules for trades.

Most (not all) traders will consider them equivalent because they sell for the same amount or even more on SCM. When in doubt about a kind of key being offered to you, just check the SCM price to make sure it's at or above the value of the regular key just so that you don't miss a recent update like a sale on a certain kind of keys in the store.

But otherwise, most traders are just happy to get pure.

Just happened this winter sale with the Gun Mettle key sale. 

MLyL1OC.jpg

Gun mettle? Really?

Why not normal keyz. But yeah the normal keys have gone down in a sale before, but not for a while.

Why not normal keyz. But yeah the normal keys have gone down in a sale before, but not for a while.

Keys don't go "down," per se, during a sale. They stay relatively the same or even increase in value compared to a lot of items because they are easily marketable. 

The value of steam wallet money goes up relative to real world money during sales.

I have run into the situation before where people didn't want event keys (e.g. strongbox).  However, if that's all you have, they will more than likely take it, because at the end of the day, they are sold for the same amount on SCM, or even higher.  

Some people even trade 1 event key for one normal key + 1 rec.   There's obviously not a huge market for this as this is entirely geared at unboxers and most serious unboxers will only open gen 1 crates (with the odd robo crate mixed in  :P ).

Some people really don't like accepting event keys. I think they're good SCM money, and are similar in value to CS:GO keys. Though they generally can't be sold instantly.

Archived