Selling GeForce GT 740 Video Card

Clark

You actually lose money when you buy these ancient cards. While the card might not be super old, the specs definitely are. It doesn't matter if it's from Nvidia or AMD if it has DDR3 VRAM it's junk. The price to performance ratio isn't there. GDDR5 has more bandwidth.

Linus does a pretty good job explaining this in his 2 year old video.

You actually lose money when you buy these ancient cards. While the card might not be super old, the specs definitely are. It doesn't matter if it's from Nvidia or AMD if it has DDR3 VRAM it's junk. The price to performance ratio isn't there. GDDR5 has more bandwidth.

Linus does a pretty good job explaining this in his 2 year old video.

At full price, at a heavily discounted used price it can be different. 

At full price, at a heavily discounted used price it can be different. 

Are you speaking of the low end video cards? Even with a hefty discount (Quick Sell Price) they're still junk.

Did you watch the video? Other forum members can try em out. I know it's better not to mess with them. They're just paperweights.

Are you speaking of the low end video cards? Even with a hefty discount (Quick Sell Price) they're still junk.

Did you watch the video? Other forum members can try em out. I know it's better not to mess with them. They're just paperweights.

I've seen the video before, but that doesn't change the fact that at a heft discount they're not bad options for some people. Yes, at normal retail price they're an awful choice due to the ridiculously high price and abysmal performance when compared to something like a GTX x50/R7 x50 or above. But that still doesn't mean it's not necessarily a good budget option for some people under the right circumstances and with the right price. 

I've seen the video before, but that doesn't change the fact that at a heft discount they're not bad options for some people. Yes, at normal retail price they're an awful choice due to the ridiculously high price and abysmal performance when compared to something like a GTX x50/R7 x50 or above. But that still doesn't mean it's not necessarily a good budget option for some people under the right circumstances and with the right price. 

Alright, well thanks for the input Awesome McCool Name. The only real use I see for low end video cards on sale is if someone doesn't game and their motherboard doesn't have video output ports.

Alright, well thanks for the input Awesome McCool Name. The only real use I see for low end video cards on sale is if someone doesn't game and their motherboard doesn't have video output ports.

It's a decent alternative for someone on an extremely tight budget (if the seller is being reasonable with the price). For $20-30, I'd have no problems recommending a GT740 to someone who really can't afford to spend more. Sure it won't be a great gaming experience, and something like a 250x (for like $70~) would yield much better performance and offer a more playable experience whereas the GT740 will depend a LOT on the games and the resolution. But anyone looking at/considering a card in the $30~ territory shouldn't be expecting miracles. 

So like I said, it really all comes down to price (and intentions). 

Archived