[script] Ultimate inventory history and SCM history viewer: The History Bastard!

naknak

tl;dr: get Tampermonkey or GreaseMonkey + CLICK HERE TO INSTALL LATEST VERSION + look at your improved history page

This user script organizes the Inventory History and Community Market History pages so that you can discern wtf is going on!

dMK2Llt.png

Easy install!

1. get Chrome and install Tampermonkey or Firefox and install GreaseMonkey

2. install latest version of historybastard.user.js by clicking this link

3. look at the change log if you like

Hard manual install!

Save the .user.js file to disk and follow these illustrated instructions:

h4Drm8b.png

What it do!

• replace custom item names with canonical name
  • show item properties (effect, paint, sheen, parts, giftedness, etc.) alongside item name
  • remove duplicated items, show count instead. Metal and craft weapons are shown with metal values!
  • highlight held trades, attach human-readable expiry times, and summarize the held items at top of page
  • never-ending history! Load as many extra pages as you want!
  • sort items with currency first, then by name
  • see how close you are to the Community Market's hidden sell-order and buy-order limits
  • get text log of any trade by clicking the little [text] button
  • filter trades by keyword, kind of like bp.tf's backpack item filter! Searches are bookmarkable and persist when you click another history page.
  • ... plus tons of minor tweaks to make history pages more pleasant to use! See the change log for a complete list or just start using it. I spend hours per day looking at inventory and SCM history: you benefit from my suffering.
  • AND IT'S REALLY FAST. I spent a ridiculous amount of time making the item processing efficient. With Chrome and thousands of history items, it adds only 0.2 seconds to my page load time! On Firefox, the performance measurement tools are so inscrutable that I have no idea how long it takes to run! But it still seems pretty fast!
Screenshots!
  • Counting of metal, craft weapons and other duplicated items, item properties:

zh6l7Oe.png

• Toggle-able text summaries:

sUbEM0v.png

• Craft weapon accumulation, excluding uncraftable, killstreaks etc., open text summary for a detailed breakdown:

uk2xFoo.png

• Held trades summary with human-readable time til release and toggle-able option to show only held trades:

d7fUUr9.png

• Market history descriptions (goes great with SIH: get 100 usefully described history entries!). Sortable columns for credit, debit, and no-effect log entries:

v4LOC7w.png

• Enhanced pagination! More pages offered and History Bastard remembers what dates are on each page!

e2bkWHt.png

FAQ!

Q: non-TF2?

It's tested with CSGO/Steam items a little bit. It should look okay. Listed properties may be too much or too little. If you post a link to an item in your inventory and some comments on how HB should make it look, I'll see what I can do.

Q: an update broke it?

I'm sorry! Post here with some details and I'll fix it. If you'd rather not wait, you may downgrade to an older version.

Q: it's slow?

Most of the delay is loading the second page which I can't speed up. If page 1 holds 72 hours of trades, the second page won't be needed and won't be loaded. To always skip that load, set LOAD_SECOND_PAGE=false; at the top of the script.

Q: global text search?

I really want this. It's on the todo list.

Q: hover doesn't work in the held items summary?

This can probably be made to work but it doesn't seem like a good use of page load time or development time because inline properties make hover kind of obsolete. And you can always just open page 2 directly.

Q: can it not be so ugly?

All the layout is done with CSS.  You can install the very awesome Stylish extension and apply your own stylesheet, or edit the script's huge CSS block directly (ctrl-F addStyle). I love feedback, so if you manage to improve the appearance somehow, post about it here!

Q: this script stole my inventory / got me tradebanned / left bacon cooking on my stove?

I doubt it! I use it and nothing bad happened to me. But anything bad that happens to you is not my problem. The script interacts with a logged-in steam page and, hypothetically, could do anything that a logged-in browser could do. I suggest to examine any kind of browser script you install.

My only criticism is that it looks very... cluttered

it works just perfectly which is awesome but tbh i'd prefer the old way since it looks alot cleaner

The idea behind this is great, but it's very visually unappealing. I'll still use it because it's a ton more useful, but it could fit the page and the custom text could be inputted and formatted so much better.

e320cf1a10.png

Can you only search for an item on 1 page or all pages?

Current page only, sorry. Maybe a future version could store all your history but there are some technical challenges. For one, we only get 10MB of localstorage per origin (ie. steamcommunity.com). Figuring ~1KB per trade, that's only(!) 10 thousand trades before localstorage overflows. And other scripts like SIH might like to use localstorage too. The other problem is that you'd need to visit every history page to seed the index, and Valve is really stingy with history page loads. You can't do more than about 5 automatically before they start erroring out.

My only criticism is that it looks very... cluttered

it works just perfectly which is awesome but tbh i'd prefer the old way since it looks alot cleaner

To each his own, but on a 1080p screen I couldn't even see one whole 50-key trade before. I like information density and minimal scrolling.

The idea behind this is great, but it's very visually unappealing. I'll still use it because it's a ton more useful, but it could fit the page and the custom text could be inputted and formatted so much better.

Everything is a tradeoff of cleanliness vs. compactness. Putting the items in a grid looks better but potentially uses a lot more space. That said, I am consummately reasonable and a big fan of Edward Tufte. All the CSS is in a big block at the top of the script for easy modification. If you have ideas or specific suggestions to enhance readability--with or without CSS diffs--I'll eagerly examine them.

Everything is a tradeoff of cleanliness vs. compactness. Putting the items in a grid looks better but potentially uses a lot more space. That said, I am consummately reasonable and a big fan of Edward Tufte. All the CSS is in a big block at the top of the script for easy modification. If you have ideas or specific suggestions to enhance readability--with or without CSS diffs--I'll eagerly examine them.

I didn't take a chance to look at the actual script, I think I might edit the CSS and see if I can actually change anything (or break the whole script)

Niiiice.

Too bad I can't use it unless it can Firefox...I'm going to sound like a nerd, but Chrome pissed me off so much, on so many occasions, that I uninstalled it and won't ever use it again :/

Thanks for reposting this with a new and improved post.  I was also wondering why the last one got archived :P  The script didn't work for me the first time I got it from the archived post, but now I know that was because I forgot to cut the tampermonkey default script before pasting in yours.  All good now, except I don't see it bunching items of the same type together

9dfea8d804.png

I forgot to cut the tampermonkey default script before pasting in yours.  All good now, except I don't see it bunching items of the same type together

That's definitely not working. What does your console look like? In Chrome, press Ctrl-Shift-J to open the console, make sure All is selected (by the filter box) and then press Ctrl-R to reload and paste the text here.

Niiiice.

Too bad I can't use it unless it can Firefox...I'm going to sound like a nerd, but Chrome pissed me off so much, on so many occasions, that I uninstalled it and won't ever use it again :/

Well I only tried it with Scriptish; feel free to give it a whirl with Greasemonkey. I myself use FF for almost everything, but script development with it is brutal because they discard all userscript error messages (vs Chrome, who logs them to the console with hyperlinks to the line in the script that caused the error). And then any non-trivial script that works 100% in Chrome has about a 20% chance of working in FF.

I didn't take a chance to look at the actual script, I think I might edit the CSS and see if I can actually change anything (or break the whole script)

I uploaded a new version (1.94, attached to OP) that uses a grid layout, only shows special levels and puts the timestamps in a consistent place.  As a nice side effect, having fixed-width items makes the layout a lot faster.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!

That's definitely not working. What does your console look like? In Chrome, press Ctrl-Shift-J to open the console, make sure All is selected (by the filter box) and then press Ctrl-R to reload and paste the text here.

I don't know exactly what you mean by the filter box.  I'm on Chrome on a mac.  Here's what I found from the console (no clue if I did this right)

403f111acd.png

And below is what happened when I searched for the pasted text.  Nothing showed up in search results. (although I didn't do the filter box thing)

ebad5255da.png

The script is half working since my trade history page doesn't normally look like this:

3900b3b1a2.png

Also I tried both opening the file with text edit and pasting it into tamper monkey, and also just dragging the file in from a finder window into tamper monkey (both resulted in colored text, which means it worked I think, I also did your stat trak tm test from your archived post and I did see the tm)

29ab95d06e.png

The console is in the Chrome menu under Developer Tools. Open that, click the "Console" item and then the "All" bubble. There is probably going to be some red text there, just copy/paste whatever text is there.

Also try version 1.95 (posted today, see OP).

VHoRoZn.png

52X3y62.png

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using this since you've posted it here and I can say it's saved me an immense amount of time. I trade a ton of hats and condensing everything down to the total number of keys/metal/whatever is so much easier to view.

My only complaint is that when changing pages the "filter by keyword" field is unset and you'd need to input it again. The field value can be transferred through URL parameters, which you can pass onto the URLs of each page link.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if any of this is useful to anyone but me so I really appreciate success stories like yours!

I just uploaded v2 and I think you'll like it!

see v2.01; I added a backoff so that it will wait longer and longer between requests. Request volume will be less on future page loads, as it remembers previous recent pages and won't need to request them all.

Niiiice.

Your wish is granted and versions 2.10 onwards work with Firefox+Greasemonkey!

Archived