2FA now mandatory for trades and Market listings

zaabluc

Direct quote from Steam FAQ:

"To ensure that you are in control of items moving out of your account, trades and Market listings must be confirmed. There is no longer a way to opt out." 

[Edit] Confirmation must be via email or mobile.

[Edit2] Trade holds for non-mobile are still in place.

@Vrakos Anthrakir has tested SCM listing and items below 3 USD do not require confirmation.

Well, I already got mobile enabled and get used to it by now and so it won't make me any difference. But I guess some people were willing to take a risk and opt out. I only hope Valve will fix gift wrap soon now.

Absolutely fucking ridiculous, everyone is just now finally getting used to this whole escrow bullshit and then they go and shove this up everyone's pipes, I'm getting really tired of their horrid ideas  

Totally fine with this really.  I've already passed on buying hats because when I went to make a trade offer, I got the "this person doesn't have the mobile auth" warning.  And been burned once by the "guy cancels the trade at hour 70 of 72 because he changed his mind" BS, so this should help with that.

What I am not fine with is how the damned mobile authenticator logs you onto friends each and every time you sign in with it. 

When I'm out at a restaurant and just want to see if a trade got accepted or not, I don't want to have to deal with people on my friends list sending me messages or getting dings because some random phishing bot saw me online and sent a friend request.

You can turn off logging into friends on the desktop app, but not the mobile one.

Oh, and once it's on, it STAYS on for several minutes even when you "go offline."  So you end up with tons of unread messages.

I love the extra security of the mobile app, yeah.  But I'm so ridiculously sick of this friends thing.  /rant

Sorry for the off topic rant, but apparently you can't even use steam support to submit tickets anymore and I needed to let it out somewhere.

theyre just trying to help the stupid, its a good cause but just leave them be; they already know the consequences of what will happen

With no disrespect pointed to you, fuck that straight to hell. In my honest and uncut opinion, if the stupid people are stupid enough to accept an add from a level 0-1 offline account, think they'll be wildly highballed by whoever owns the shady as FUCK account, and then click a link that they send then they deserve to lose their shit. I am honestly so tired of valve looking out for the completely incompetent people to the point where it fucks EVERYONE ELSE in the damn equation. 

Where's the damn asprin

Wrote this before I knew the whole story, I thought it worked differently. Fuck them still, but not to this extent^^ 

One of the things I noticed before this announcement with Mobile Authenticator turned on for Market Listing is items I listed below *I think* $4.00 did not require a verification.

I'm curious if this is still the case and if its outlined anywhere for an exact amount.

I don't see what was the problem with having a 3 day hold. It works fine enough, no need to make it "gotta have a phone" only. But hey that's Valve for you

so wait, you can't trade and such at all now if you don't have mobile authenticator?

One of the things I noticed before this announcement with Mobile Authenticator turned on for Market Listing is items I listed below *I think* $4.00 did not require a verification.

I'm curious if this is still the case and if its outlined anywhere for an exact amount.

I think the point at which you need to confirm is between 3 and 4 USD, mayhaps a bit closer to 4 if not in the middle

Okay, thank you.

okay just did a bunch of listings to test, it's at the point at which you'd receive 3 USD or more from the sale

rip sorry for double post, forgot I had just posted and dunno how to delete this :u

I fucking hate valve now

escrow is bad as it is, but now this? holy shit do they want to kill their in-game economy

so much for the term common sense

Totally fine with this really.  I've already passed on buying hats because when I went to make a trade offer, I got the "this person doesn't have the mobile auth" warning.  And been burned once by the "guy cancels the trade at hour 70 of 72 because he changed his mind" BS, so this should help with that.

I don't think it will help with that though? People without mobile authentication are now forced onto email confirmation whether they like it or not and will still be able to trade.

I wondered what was even the point of email confirmation once they brought in mobile authentication because it basically offered no advantage. Now that they are forcing it hopefully they reduce the untradability period for market purchases. Previously they claimed one of the (several) reasons for the trade cooldown was for market health (i.e. stopping people from flipping items), however Gun Mettle allowed people to relist TF2 items (but not Steam items and no idea about other items) with a cooldown, making that argument kinda pointless. Which means the only remaining reason is due to security, and now with forced 2FA even that justification is lowered. So hopefully they remove the trading cooldown or at least reduce it (I doubt they will, but still).

well on the bright side, at least now there's an astronomically low chance you people (even the not so smart ones) losing their items, so it might lower the amount of scammers

rip tf2?

I don't see what was the problem with having a 3 day hold. It works fine enough, no need to make it "gotta have a phone" only. But hey that's Valve for you

so wait, you can't trade and such at all now if you don't have mobile authenticator?

I think the point at which you need to confirm is between 3 and 4 USD, mayhaps a bit closer to 4 if not in the middle

Trade holds are still there. It's just that you now have to confirm your trade & market listings above a certain price either via Email or mobile steam app.

zaabluc, you should change your post a little and include a "must confirm via email / mobile"

With no disrespect pointed to you, fuck that straight to hell. In my honest and uncut opinion, if the stupid people are stupid enough to accept an add from a level 0-1 offline account, think they'll be wildly highballed by whoever owns the shady as FUCK account, and then click a link that they send then they deserve to lose their shit. I am honestly so tired of valve looking out for the completely incompetent people to the point where it fucks EVERYONE ELSE in the damn equation.

Where's the damn asprin

Wrote this before I knew the whole story, I thought it worked differently. Fuck them still, but not to this extent^^

Not gonna lie, I completely agree with you. I mean, if you can't use common sense you're fucked in the real world. These are probably the kind of people that probably give their bank account info to the "Nigerian Prince". If they are too dumb to use common sense or read a warning, then too bad.

zaabluc, you should change your post a little and include a "must confirm via email / mobile"

I was quoting directly from Steam FAQ

*Few years later*

Are you sure you want to list this item?

-Yes

Confirmation of email required, please check your email

*checked*

Are you really sure you want to list this item on the market?

-Yes

Warning! We cannot add your listing yet, please confirm your mobile in order to add your item.

*confirmed*

We cannot add your listing yet, please fill out this page with your name and adress in order to list your item

*checked*

Are you 100% sure you want to sell your item?

-Yes

Success! Your item has been placed in a trade hold and you must wait 5 days before your item will be listed, however due to 5 seconds of delay to your mobile response to the listing, we will restrict your trading privileges for another 7 days

hi guys im super new to computers can someone please explain to me what two factor authentication means? 

brb gonna receive, accept, confirm, and authorize a trade offer on my mobile device with no PC use whatsoever. 

actually i would mostly just like to hear what valve's definition of the word "two" is, i guess it's different than the one i use

*Few years later*

Are you sure you want to list this item?

-Yes

Confirmation of email required, please check your email

*checked*

Are you really sure you want to list this item on the market?

-Yes

Warning! We cannot add your listing yet, please confirm your mobile in order to add your item.

*confirmed*

We cannot add your listing yet, please fill out this page with your name and adress in order to list your item

*checked*

Are you 100% sure you want to sell your item?

-Yes

Success! Your item has been placed in a trade hold and you must wait 5 days before your item will be listed, however due to 5 seconds of delay to your mobile response to the listing, we will restrict your trading privileges for another 7 days

10/10

With no disrespect pointed to you, fuck that straight to hell. In my honest and uncut opinion, if the stupid people are stupid enough to accept an add from a level 0-1 offline account, think they'll be wildly highballed by whoever owns the shady as FUCK account, and then click a link that they send then they deserve to lose their shit. I am honestly so tired of valve looking out for the completely incompetent people to the point where it fucks EVERYONE ELSE in the damn equation. 

Where's the damn asprin

I agree.  When people can't be bothered to do a 5 minute google search on common scamming techniques or when they don't get suspicious when someone offers them more than full value of their hat in paypal, they shouldn't get their items restored.  Let it serve as a lesson, watch your back, people will always try to scam you as go through life.  Better that it happened sooner with digital items (which are rather inconsequential) rather than later with shit that actually has a real impact on your future.  

The problem is though, for every 100 careless noobs, there's one legit case where an otherwise competent trader gets hijacked, either because he was targeted or because he made one simple mistake.   Don't forget, trade verification is not really about our security (that's just a nice bonus) it's really about resource management on Valve's side.  They have to invest a lot of money into support right now and they're trying to reduce those costs.  At the same time though, they can't just say "If you get scammed, it's too bad, your items are now gone and we won't do anything to help".  What if a $20,000 backpack gets jacked as part of some elaborate social engineering scam?  Wouldn't really be fair not to restore items in a case like that.  

I don't like it either, but I understand why it's there.  

What I am not fine with is how the damned mobile authenticator logs you onto friends each and every time you sign in with it. 

When I'm out at a restaurant and just want to see if a trade got accepted or not, I don't want to have to deal with people on my friends list sending me messages or getting dings because some random phishing bot saw me online and sent a friend request.

You can turn off logging into friends on the desktop app, but not the mobile one.

Oh, and once it's on, it STAYS on for several minutes even when you "go offline."  So you end up with tons of unread messages.

I love the extra security of the mobile app, yeah.  But I'm so ridiculously sick of this friends thing.  /rant

Sorry for the off topic rant, but apparently you can't even use steam support to submit tickets anymore and I needed to let it out somewhere.

it doesnt go that well, that guy gets 7days trade ban if he cancels trade hold.

This whole security system is meant to discourage trading. Your security is Valve's pretext.

Valve obviously prefers when people add real money to their steam wallet. 

Archived