Homework help

Mengh.

So, I've got to write a chunk of information about a topic for a speaking exam that is marked a bit on content but mostly on speaking as well as further discussion about the topic after the ideal presentation of my topic. Philosophical as it is, I chose a topic with an angle: "Life has no meaning" in order to allow for a debate / able to create a discussion (with the interviewer, my teacher, asking questions to oppose/question this viewpoint). The length of my presentation / speech is roughly 3 minutes (I'd say 3-4 paragraphs) so it's not exactly an essay's length long.

Currently, I have this so far as an introduction + first point:

Life has no meaning.

From a nihilistic viewpoint, expressed simply in the first line of a monologue of Shakespeare's play, As You Like It, 'All the World's a stage; and all the men and women merely players', it can seem that life could have no meaning. Though many have strived in order to find out the meaning of life, I challenge that from the perspective that life has no meaning.

To put into terms what having a life is, it is the ability to grow, reproduce and perform functions but also, to be able to die. Every single thing in the entire universe, living or non-living, will face an inevitable end. To be born, skip freely, learn, work, retire and simply die, seems as if life is simply a process and our everyday activities are distracting ourselves from the idea of death and not being able to 'live life' any more. Having an opportunity to do things and then have it taken away just shows us the stages of life then death. It's hard to imagine life after death and that scares us all; and with the 7 billion people on this planet, many would feel that they haven't fulfilled their dreams or goals before having their opportunity of being able to do things (live life) taken away from them. But should we really be distracted with these dreams or does it just simply show that we try to find meaning in our lives?

After having read this, give me criticism - good, bad or neutral. If possible, what ideas could/should I possibly include?

You could talk about the origins of the word Nihilism coming from the latin for nothing, nihil. You don't make it clear enough what Nihilism is imo.

Went ahead and made some changes (highlighted in red) I thought would help, I tried to keep as much of your wording as I could. These are just my suggestions, feel free to call me a fuck face and disregard as you please. :P

From a nihilistic viewpoint, expressed simply in the first line of a monologue of Shakespeare's play, "As You Like It," "All the World's a stage; and all the men and women merely players," it can seem that life could have no meaning. Though many have strived striven in order to find out the meaning of life, I challenge that from the perspective that life has no meaning<-- Try to think of a better way to word this, it reads a little awkwardly.

To put into terms what having a life is, it Simply put, life is not only the ability to grow, reproduce and perform functions, but also to be able to die. Every single thing in the entire universe, living or non-living, will face an inevitable end. To be born, skip freely, learn, work, retire and simply die, would seems as if life is simply a process; perhaps our everyday activities are distracting ourselves from the idea of death and not being able to 'live life' any more to the fullest. Having an opportunity to do things and then have it taken away just shows us the stages of life then death. It's hard to imagine life after death and that uncertainty scares us all; and with the 7 billion people on this planet, many would feel that they haven't fulfilled their dreams or goals before having their opportunity of being able to do things (live life) lives taken away from them. But should we really be distracted with these dreams or does it just simply show that we try to find meaning in our lives?

Archived