Tell me again why backpack.tf is still necessary

a tasty serving of

I ask out of genuine curiosity.  I remember the site came to the fore back when there was no real way to estimate the price of your hat.  Well there was the spreadsheet for a lil while but it was wildly inaccurate.   So the site was here to you wouldn't get ripped off.   However, now I almost feel that it's price checking function isn't really necessary.  Most items can be listed on the steam market and the market can decide what the price of your item is.  Seems to work fine for Dota and CS:Go.  Infact, most traders such as my self are glad that backpack.tf never got a foothold in item pricing.   There, the price can't be artificially raised or lowered based on the limited observations of some price checker.  So for example, I can buy up all of an item in Dota and then I set the market price.  Anyone wanting the item has to buy it from me or not get it.  This is more like the real world where supply and demand create prices.  In Tf2, I could buy up all of an item but the "listed" price will be more resilient to being affected by the market and instead people will expect the price to be relatively fixed cuz on bp.tf the price says "3ref".  Then I'd have to sell some items first at my desired resell price before the price reflects whats already happening.  

Moreover, there's a lot of room for unusual hat price collusion with the "i saw it sell for this much".  In the higher tier unusual hat selling world, I seen a few former friends agree to say they sold the hat at a certain price that is higher than they did so the new owner could sell for more than they bought but all the price reporter sees is the tf2outpost post not what the real price was.  Plus theres way to disguise what items were moved just incase someone tries to see what items were traded for what especially when the two traders have a level of trust among one another.  With the steam market, the price is the price.  i only see the function of backpack.tf pricing for pricing refined and keys so that it can be converted to a steam market money price. 

Personally I like knowing that my dota items will move up or down in price based on supply demand and whatever external pressures instead of well someone thinks my item is worth less cuz he seen a few people get it for cheaper so time to lower the price even when in many times its impossible to see all the transactions so you just go off a sample. 

Posted · Hidden by polar, January 19, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by polar, January 19, 2016 - No reason given

Because in this world it's Jew or be jew'd, and everyone wants to be the rich trader dude.

Or, for some, as you out it, "I like knowing that my dota items will move up or down in price based on supply and demand."

Well, let me start with the obvious - pricing 20,000 unusual hat-effect combinations, high tier items, and rare items.

But even on normal items, values on SCM are often very different from the values when items are traded. When you buy an item on market, it's untradable for a while. Most people would prefer to avoid that, so they will pay a premium for users who have steam mobile active. There's actually a pretty wide range of values on items now that cannot be captured by the most recent value shown on SCM.

Oh, and of course, we do a lot more than pricing on this site.... Classifieds, premium search, and our forums for discussions come to mind just off the top of my head.

- snip -

Number 1, you can't use SCM to price hats.  Unlike knives which are listed by condition and effect (or whatever that's called on knives), hats are only listed by hat.  So for example, you might be able see that an unusual company man sold for $400.  That doesn't help you at all though, since you don't know what effect the hat had.  

Number 2, people sell for higher than bp price all the time.  How else do you think items are actually raised?  Your DOTA example is pointless since it rests on the fact that people wouldn't pay more for the TF2 item because it has a backpack price.  Couldn't people simply check SCM and realize that you're overcharging this DOTA item by 200%?  It's basically the same thing, so a moot point. 

On the topic of collusion in regard to pricing, I doubt it's a serious problem and it would be somewhat pointless.  When a hat is overpriced on bp, it usually won't sell for that price, at least not in pure or easy to sell hats.  

Personally I like knowing that my dota items will move up or down in price based on supply demand and whatever external pressures instead of well someone thinks my item is worth less cuz he seen a few people get it for cheaper so time to lower the price even when in many times its impossible to see all the transactions so you just go off a sample. 

TF2 items behave the exact same way, see for example what just happened to paints. 

Archived