Artist Lounge - Separate "Paid requests" subforum

Tobiased

Hello hello,

I've come across an idea, of separating the poster/image requests into paid and free subforums. 

• Will prevent the confusion of people requesting thinking it's free.
  • Have the "General artwork stuff" forum be the default one. (Or not, idk)
  • Separates those looking for pay, and those just dong it for free.
  • Good idea for users looking to drum up some business, and not have their requesters unwilling to pay, which does get disheartening.
  • Could be treated like the tf2 cash or item trade forums, with them separate as well or simply at the user's preference.
  • A list of rules would need to be established so the motives of the artists and requesters are respected, and nobody runs away from paying for their request.

I'll likely edit this, as it was kinda rushed and Caboose pressured me into posting this

That is all. Discuss your thoughts below.

I don't think this is needed. Most threads in the Artist's Lounge are for free requests to begin with, and it's a rather small forum as it is. It just seems pointless.

I would disagree to have a subforms allowing users to pay for their poster with cash/pure in hands for amount of reasons why:

⦿ Pay for a hideous stock pose poster by every person who does it!

​People would pay about the same to less by doing same posers every request you can get. Stock poses is something more likely should be free and practice.

⦿ Lack of in-depth to the characters makes the atmosphere of the poster feels dead!

What I meant here is that every artist lounge I've seen has no depth to it. It needs to feel like it's alive and a meaningful atmosphere to have a reason to buy for and use actively. You must pro-actively use light, correct the picture from error (ie Scout's shoulder, overlapping, coloring error), and ambiguously put life into poster.

⦿ Your artwork should be in public not just to your friends, in your signature link imgur or somewhere small! 

Show your work to TF2/SFM/Reddit/Tumblr community and more places to attract people for your services. The more you will be recognized, the easier you'll get commissions and be paid. But you just need to improve your work better.

⦿ Everyone plays differently, but most people pays a lot for the effort you put in.

This, right here is the truth. If you look in Tumblr actively, there are people who are pro-actively are open to commissions has rules and how much you'd pay for their services. The more fine quality you give them, the more tips you will get along the fee they agree to pay you with.

There is a differences why they should be free, and why should they be fee:

My examples:

Free commissions

2uy6k4p.jpg

23gxr9w.jpg

Commission Based

1qk1z9.jpg

Life is Strange commisson for $16 ($1.8 per key = 9-10 keys) / Customized the whole background and pose characters myself

mhbkv8.jpg

Scout in the Lost Jungle - Customized the map myself, pose scout enough to hold the Zato, stare into the blue sea. Commission for $10 (6 keys)

People who spent quite a quality time on SFM gets nicely reward for their pictures. But yes, it's very discouraging to have donations to none when finishing picture given is free but if you want to keep expanding your services for a fee, keep working on your poster to be much efficient.

Anyways, good luck. I'm still sleepy and I will resume editing this when I wake up from death.

...I felt this post wasn't even close to criticizing. Fuck.

-snip-

I see your point on the issue with paid commission stuff. it chokes the creativity a bit i see.

Muselk does this with me, Retro and Lightrod, leaving us with a general idea, and leaving the rest to our imagination, but it's still technically a commission (since he pays us hehe)

But some people don't make detailed requests. The most vague one i got was from Nicerafi just listing his bootleg sniper loadout. Turned out to be one of my best posters.

I don't usually use stock poses for my posters. But again, having artwork public and stuff can be detailed in the rules. I'm not sure what else to say to make it more convincing, but issues of quality is at the discretion of the requester, as they should have a right to a preview before a you finish, or an edit. Most people on this trading forum are looking for loadouts to make their hats more convincing to sell, or simply to set a dream loadout. I can't help but get the feeling you'd prefer to have seasoned poster makers & image editors make use of the artist's lounge to give it some life. But perhaps something more like an image contest with prizes. Not only does it attract serious entries, but that's where the freedom of imagination & creativity is used. Like the homepage contest that's going on.

I don't think this is needed. Most threads in the Artist's Lounge are for free requests to begin with, and it's a rather small forum as it is. It just seems pointless.

I agree that it is a small forum to begin with, but a main issue with a lot of free image threads is that lots of people request usually resulting in the difficulty for people to catch-up with the requests, this lead me to do paid requests do to the shear amount of requests i could not handle in my backlog, thus discouraging me from continuing, same with other image editors.

Even if it is small, it'd still be a good idea to organize those looking  to do commissions, for a fee. It would obviously have to be somewhat serious ones with proof of their work. Either way I still stand with the idea for now. Perhaps a different sub-forum such as contests might be in order

I see your point on the issue with paid commission stuff. it chokes the creativity a bit i see.

Muselk does this with me, Retro and Lightrod, leaving us with a general idea, and leaving the rest to our imagination, but it's still technically a commission (since he pays us hehe)

But some people don't make detailed requests. The most vague one i got was from Nicerafi just listing his bootleg sniper loadout. Turned out to be one of my best posters.

I don't usually use stock poses for my posters. But again, having artwork public and stuff can be detailed in the rules. I'm not sure what else to say to make it more convincing, but issues of quality is at the discretion of the requester, as they should have a right to a preview before a you finish, or an edit. Most people on this trading forum are looking for loadouts to make their hats more convincing to sell, or simply to set a dream loadout. I can't help but get the feeling you'd prefer to have seasoned poster makers & image editors make use of the artist's lounge to give it some life. But perhaps something more like an image contest with prizes. Not only does it attract serious entries, but that's where the freedom of imagination & creativity is used. Like the homepage contest that's going on.

I agree that it is a small forum to begin with, but a main issue with a lot of free image threads is that lots of people request usually resulting in the difficulty for people to catch-up with the requests, this lead me to do paid requests do to the shear amount of requests i could not handle in my backlog, thus discouraging me from continuing, same with other image editors.

Even if it is small, it'd still be a good idea to organize those looking to do commissions, for a fee. It would obviously have to be somewhat serious ones with proof of their work. Either way I still stand with the idea for now. Perhaps a different sub-forum such as contests might be in order

I'll edit the quote snip later. Erasing it from the phone is a hassle haha.

I'm not saying just it's just yours, but a fact those who does will charge just about the same when it's nothing different. It wouldn't be fair. I felt maybe those who does more creativity (sorry if I sound biased) should deserve get paid more for their time spent on their posters. If it's something fast and nothing too 'fancy', I understand, should get paid max of 2-3 keys, depending the situation the client request. Either way, I wouldn't advertise it here. Just try advertise your own work by asking those who you've done working with (Muselk especially) about expanding your services with their followers, and get customers. That's what I do. I'm still currently doing commisson work done as we speak, about 8-10 times a week. It's gruelsome, yeah but it's a nice small income you can get.

Kudos to you, Toby!

Archived