How Do You Think the Release of Overwatch Will Affect TF2's Playerbase?

cleverpun

Even though it hasn't been released yet, there's already a lot of comparisions being drawn between TF2 and Overwatch by reviewers and commenntators. This comparasion is accurate in some ways (the emphasis on objectives and character classes) and less so in others (resource management and art direction).

With Overwatch set to release this year, how might its presence in the game's market affect TF2's userbase? Will there be a lot of overlap as Overwatch draws in new players? Will the genre competition from such a large company decrease TF2's userbase? Or is speculation useless because the games are not quite similar enough?

As title, discuss freely.

Any game with classes comes out --> people think it will kill tf2.

I'm sure plenty of people will move from tf2 to overwatch when it releases, but I doubt it will really decrease tf2's userbase by that much. Plenty of people that play tf2 don't even know what Overwatch is.

Some of TF2's pro players (i.e. clockwork, seagull, etc.) have already been trying out or have completely migrated to Overwatch's beta. (I hear even fnatic has an overwatch team)

It all depends on how they handle things once the beta is re-opened.

As for the general playerbase, TF2 will lose some players, probably the more serious ones, but will still have a community until it stops being updated.

It won't. Overwatch is shit, I played the beta thingy, It gets boring really fast.

Plus it will be Pay 2 Play, and It's not on steam. So It won't affect TF2 at all.

Considering how OverWatch is $40, has a DLC for extra, and could possibly have skins + $$$ classes in the future, while it will inevitably steal some of TF2's playerbase, it won't be significant enough to *truly* matter.

Considering how OverWatch is $40, has a DLC for extra, and could possibly have skins + $$$ classes in the future, while it will inevitably steal some of TF2's playerbase, it won't be significant enough to *truly* matter.

Future classes are confirmed to be free

It won't. Overwatch is shit, I played the beta thingy, It gets boring really fast.

Plus it will be Pay 2 Play, and It's not on steam. So It won't affect TF2 at all.

I thought it wasn't going to be pay 2 play?

they said future classes were free.

I thought it wasn't going to be pay 2 play?

they said future classes were free.

Isn't the game 45.99?

The standard edition of Overwatch will include 21 "extraordinary heroes" and sell for $40. For $60, you can upgrade to the Overwatch Origins Edition, which tacks on five "Origin Skins" that tie into the game's lore—Overgrown Bastion, Blackwatch Reyes, Slipstream Tracer, Strike-Commander Morrison, and Security Chief Pharah—and bonus items for other Blizzard games: Mercy's Wings for Diablo 3, six in-game portraits for StarCraft 2, an Overwatch card back, a Baby Winston pet for World of Warcraft, and the Tracer hero in Heroes of the Storm. 

Source.

Overwatch will not kill tf2 at all. Overwatch is very different. Custom maps and trading is what attracts people to tf2. It will be popular for a few weeks like most games then it will die down when people get bored. 

Also since TF2 matchmaking is coming very soon so most people will stay here. Even Csgo people are coming back because TF2 is unique. 

Didn't everybody think the same thing would happen with Dirtybomb and it didn't? 

I never heard anyone say that about Dirty Bomb, but I wasn't really following it before release.

I've played Dirty Bomb, and comparing it to TF2 is quite a stretch; the game pacing, gunplay, and class system all work very differently.

Well it's funny that this topic is in a forum full of traders, where a big chunk of them don't even play tf2.

Overwatch seems to be for more competitive purposes, and i feel it will drag a bigger percentage of Dota's playerbase than TF2. (Notice how i said percentage, not players)

The only issue Valve will have is if by the time OVerwatch releases,  and they don't have an official comp mode still.

Other than that, TF2 is the definition of fooling around > actual strategy, which believe it or not, is what makes it pretty fun.

Overall, i don't think it will dent the player base much.

It most likely will be 100% pay to play which will block most people who don't wish to pay that much, It does not have hats or a economy for trading, takes a slightly higher end computer from the seems of its graphics. and other things. Simply put Nope. It won't harm tf2 much.

Am I the only one who thinks the character design of overwatch is crap?

I always liked blizzard's character design from warcraft/starcraft/diablo, these new characters look like shit.

That is enough to make me not play it.

Isn't the game 45.99?

Source.

The game is 45.99

when I saw you said pay2play I thought you meant like a mobile game, or payday 2 where skins do extra dmg

also the 60$ one is just skins I think, and the stuff for their other games.

Let's face it, one of the biggest reasons TF2 is still popular is the ancillary things. Unusuals, keys, item trading, uncrating, stranges, skins, and on and on. Overwatch seems to be all about gameplay and none of the side stuff that keep lots of people involved in the community for months and years. Yeah and that $45 thing will be a barrier for some. Of course TF2 cost $ back in the day until valve came to their senses.

I am getting some really strange deja vu here. It's almost like if people were having this same discussion about overwatch a year ago.

Remember that time TF2 was going to die and nothing happened?

Remember that other time TF2 was going to die and nothing happened?

Remember the 9 other times TF2 was going to die and nothing happened?

Remember the last time TF2 was going to die and nothing happened?

I'm wondering if you see the pattern here.

Archived