Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happysedits

New design poll and opinions

New design pool  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Everything

• Good
    • Bad
    • Netural
  2. 2. Suggestions

• Good
    • Bad
    • Netural
  3. 3. Main page bp.tf

• Good
    • Bad
    • Netural
  4. 4. Item pages

• Good
    • Bad
    • Netural
  5. 5. Premium

• Good
    • Bad
    • Netural
  6. 6. Item histories

• Good
    • Bad
    • Netural

NICK THE THIRD

The new design makes me feel sick. The layout in general is eew. On top of that, if I want to know what exists, I'll just check out stats.tf or the weapon/hat listing itself. Change it pl0x thx

Findiculous

I have to ask why. Just why. I am not against this item information but when I go onto bp.tf I want to see active suggestions, latest changes, things to do with prices.

To have me screen filled up with classifieds and this big item tracking pie chart to have me scroll down to even see the latest changes is not very intuitive. The design is very flawed.

Yes its a fun piece of trivia to know how many items of certain qualities exist in the game as a pie chart. But it isnt really that helpful to me and I dont want it taking up half my monitor when I came here to check latest updates.

In terms of the "Up and Down" Icons for suggestions I didnt understand at first. I thought it was a bump button and the site would remember your preference on voting on item or unusual suggestions so that it would learn which to show (like advertisements on frequented subjects). What was wrong with the thumbs up and thumbs down icons really? It was simple and easy to understand. And the color change is kinda vomit inducing. 

The removal of parts details is a little unfortunate too though probably a bug since the "value" is still edited from its bp.tf value if parts or custom stuff is included (checked with my non killstreaked Aussie Knife).

I think personally this has all been made too bulky for something that was meant to be relatively quick and simple. Even the suggestions boxes are inconsistent. The preview box seems different for each suggestion in how big it is but they all cut off and then start again when you click on the suggestion. It looks very messy (and I believe its how the original suggestions functioned with an opening title box and then the comments part for proof)

Removing forum updates is also not very good for the forums/news with major updates (such as the big announcement of not discounting gifted because the tag could be removed).

I dont have premium so I have not been able to see this "New sick as hell" design.

Seems a little rushed out and not thought out too well on the homepage side.

Oh and just the general stats of an item....what? Why does the first 2 thirds of the screen need to be filled up with the name of the item and a massive bar graph of its price history changes? It was better when it was smaller.

From the looks of things I would assume that the person who put in the new designs has a really bad sight problem and needs everything zoomed in.

Happysedits

I have to ask why. Just why. I am not against this item information but when I go onto bp.tf I want to see active suggestions, latest changes, things to do with prices.

To have me screen filled up with classifieds and this big item tracking pie chart to have me scroll down to even see the latest changes is not very intuitive. The design is very flawed.

Yes its a fun piece of trivia to know how many items of certain qualities exist in the game as a pie chart. But it isnt really that helpful to me and I dont want it taking up half my monitor when I came here to check latest updates.

In terms of the "Up and Down" Icons for suggestions I didnt understand at first. I thought it was a bump button and the site would remember your preference on voting on item or unusual suggestions so that it would learn which to show (like advertisements on frequented subjects). What was wrong with the thumbs up and thumbs down icons really? It was simple and easy to understand. And the color change is kinda vomit inducing. 

The removal of parts details is a little unfortunate too though probably a bug since the "value" is still edited from its bp.tf value if parts or custom stuff is included (checked with my non killstreaked Aussie Knife).

I think personally this has all been made too bulky for something that was meant to be relatively quick and simple. Even the suggestions boxes are inconsistent. The preview box seems different for each suggestion in how big it is but they all cut off and then start again when you click on the suggestion. It looks very messy (and I believe its how the original suggestions functioned with an opening title box and then the comments part for proof)

Removing forum updates is also not very good for the forums/news with major updates (such as the big announcement of not discounting gifted because the tag could be removed).

I dont have premium so I have not been able to see this "New sick as hell" design.

Seems a little rushed out and not thought out too well on the homepage side.

Oh and just the general stats of an item....what? Why does the first 2 thirds of the screen need to be filled up with the name of the item and a massive bar graph of its price history changes? It was better when it was smaller.

From the looks of things I would assume that the person who put in the new designs has a really bad sight problem and needs everything zoomed in.

my words if i knew english more

Kevin the Chicken God

I know Fiskie's been working on integrating stats.tf to the main site for a while, but it feels like it could have been done a lot better. The stats.tf boxes are obnoxiously large for information that's neat but isn't really important to anything, there should be an option to close the box (like outpost's side bars) or replace it with different info. It doesn't seem more modern which is what it looks like he was trying to go for. And it's really buggy, but hopefully a lot of those will be sorted out?

Edvis_Knife

I hope someone of website admins/owners reads this.

>summons brad pitt

Solus

I posted this in the other topic, but since this seems to be where the activity is, I'll post my opinions here as well. Can I do that?

I am very appreciative of the effort that goes into any changes, even if they make things slightly less convenient. Being a happy user of every version of Windows, including Vista and 8 (which everyone hated), I also have no issue in getting used to the new layout. However, since the topic of it's inconveniences has arisen on it's own, here are my issues that I've found with the new layout.

- The new style of suggestion boxes, being larger and less defined, makes it less clear where one suggestion starts and ends, making it thus seem less clean, which is one thing I liked about Backpack.tf. I think you could keep the new design, but just add a line or form of clear separation between each suggestion, perhaps have two very faint colours make up the background, which alternate between each suggestion. They could further benefit from having all the same height text preview in every suggestion (I didn't do that in the image below). As Mengh suggested as well, the same spacing on both sides of the text preview would also make it more visually appealing, whether that would be achieved by extending the left side, or adding the spacing to the right side.

dXMeaBh.png

- Item pages are more clean and seem to be heading in the right direction, but I really think a lot of space is taken up by things no one really cares about, and makes it less convenient for everyone. The paint distribution is a useless addition, and puts suggestions further down the page. The paint distribution could be put on an "advanced information" page for the selected item, combined with the charts for how they were obtained, and the level numbers, all in one separate page for the people who want them, and out of the way for the majority of people who don't. I also had a hard time finding the new "suggest price" button, as it has no clear indication of what it is unless you hover over it. I think a button to suggest a new price near the top would be easier for everyone.

5tlM30d.png

- The item statistics on the main page is interesting, and shows the amount of data Backpack.tf collects on a regular basis, but it should be near the bottom, categorized by priority for regular users. The average user will want to see recent classifieds first, followed by recent forum topics and news (next to each other, as it was prior to the update), suggestions, and then the stats at the bottom, as it will be the last thing that users will need to see. It can still be there, but important information needs to still be present, and more accessible. (Thanks to Mengh facepalms. for the image, he suggested the same thing)

zyKxmty.png?1

- Lastly, the premium item search needed an overhaul, and it got one, but the new layout isn't quite what it needed. It is headed in the right direction with having a more general search, but the process of "building a search" is unnecessary when you have already clicked "search everything", which already implies you want to search. First, I think "search everything" is a bit too vague of a name, and should use it's earlier name of "premium search", or something implying it is for premium users. Second, I think the page you arrive at upon clicking the button from the drop down menu, should simply be the search query, as that is clearly what one wants when clicking the search button.The search query is fine, but it should be open to start with, without the needless "build a search" step.

hR8sF9O.png

This is, of course, aside from the issues with Julia's script not functioning, but I believe it would be possible for that issue to be worked out on a new layout. The item histories are still tracked, so it would still function, but would simply need to be updated to be compatible with the new layout, just like any program when a new OS is released.

Those are just my opinions, however.

Snowraptor

I like the new stats page, it feels cleaner and more organized than the old layout and I like the fact that I can swap between effects without having to go flip through tabs.

I don't like how premium search doesn't work with taunts. There are probably other things it doesn't work with anymore but since taunts are some of the more exclusive items I own I thought I'd try and find mine. I will say that I do enjoy the general layout more than the old one and putting a search together is easier... just less than functional.

I don't like the new item history page. I don't need to see a picture of the hat alongside every entry in its history, takes up way too much space. Still less than stellar history for dupes but I guess there's only so much that could be done for them. At least I can look at the bad names people come up on the history page now so that's neat. http://backpack.tf/item/778410054

I don't like how small and grey everything is on suggestions page. I'll admit I have terrible vision but it shouldn't be a struggle to read some numbers.

Buy my mixtape fam

Honestly, this feels rushed. Besides the stats page, not much else is too great. The suggestions are just absolutely hideous, and one of my main concerns is this. The white belt is impossible to see, and happy's black belt is on a different line for some reason. The upvote/downvote option is just too big, and the yellow color for upvotes looks ugly. Green/Red was a perfectly fine color scheme, and there was no reason to change it.  The size overall just doesn't seem proportional to me, and that in a large part is due to the size of the up/downvotes. And when you click on a suggestion to enlarge, why does the original suggestion have to repeat itself? There's no reason for it to be pinned to the top and in the comments.

Item histories look fine, but again, there was no real reason to change anything. It's fine that the item logo is there, but does it really need to be there for every person in the history? It's a bit redundant, and it's just too much, especially for items with larger histories. 

All in all, it'll probably take me a while to get used to this new update, especially the new suggestions page. It just doesn't seem right, and each suggestion just seems too large. I do like the new stats page, but I by no means think it should be on the front page, or on top of suggestions, for that matter.

Also what's the purpose of the everything feature? lol

Brad Pitt

Honestly, this feels rushed. Besides the stats page, not much else is too great. The suggestions are just absolutely hideous, and one of my main concerns is this. The white belt is impossible to see, and happy's black belt is on a different line for some reason. The upvote/downvote option is just too big, and the yellow color for upvotes looks ugly. Green/Red was a perfectly fine color scheme, and there was no reason to change it.  The size overall just doesn't seem proportional to me, and that in a large part is due to the size of the up/downvotes. And when you click on a suggestion to enlarge, why does the original suggestion have to repeat itself? There's no reason for it to be pinned to the top and in the comments.

Item histories look fine, but again, there was no real reason to change anything. It's fine that the item logo is there, but does it really need to be there for every person in the history? It's a bit redundant, and it's just too much, especially for items with larger histories. 

All in all, it'll probably take me a while to get used to this new update, especially the new suggestions page. It just doesn't seem right, and each suggestion just seems too large. I do like the new stats page, but I by no means think it should be on the front page, or on top of suggestions, for that matter.

Also what's the purpose of the everything feature? lol

The icon is interesting to look at, especially when the history shows paint being added, killstreaks being added, etc.. which explains why the id changed. 

Katzz

A few bad thins worth mentioning 

Strange Parts are removed, makes no sense. This makes makes the item look overvalued.

ba1ac05b96908cae78f325064cc73adf.png

Changing the upvoting icon was good, but the problem that you changed the colour, at least can you change it the colour to (Upvote = Green) and (Downvote = Red) ?

8bf1fa0f5edcd55da3203391b4ebe6f1.png

Item histories doesn't work for me at least.

a959b03875ce35a5fab4e1ee60ae4254.png

The paint distribution is useless on unusual pages, most traders don't care what paint it is.

Solus

I see the charts on the main page have been moved, with the briefing on totals remaining. I like that, it doesn't take up too much room, everything is still easily within view, but the additional statistics are accessible via Bp.tf more easily than before. That is just right, in my opinion. More information is nice, but organizing it based on priority and categorizing large amounts of information onto separate pages would be better in some cases. Looks nice now!

Brad Pitt

I fixed a few things based on feedback like the strange parts missing posted above -- if you see 'bugs' please report them (like missing stuff) nothing should be missing, we're not removing features.

Flutterslut

I fixed a few things based on feedback like the strange parts missing posted above -- if you see 'bugs' please report them (like missing stuff) nothing should be missing, we're not removing features.

Is premium search showing all effects at once by default when you click a specific hat+effect combo a bug or a feature?

Edvis_Knife

Hey, If you are not removing features so why "Automatic" section has been removed from "trading" tab on the main page?

jFW5tqZ.png Automatic section is missing somewhere here, it was here before.

Flutterslut

Hey, If you are not removing features so why "Automatic" section has been removed from "trading" tab on the main page?

Automatic section is missing somewhere here, it was here before.

There's an automatic button in 'My Classified Listings' if that's what you mean.

Findiculous

Is it possible to change the Item history section back to the way it was before? The repeated picture when scrolling through is a little disorientating and again it is all very bulky.

I have highlighted all the wasted empty space on the first 3 caused by having a picture in there on each previous owner:

post-23186-0-11801500-1452340658_thumb.png

Foamy the Fearsome

I was gonna post this yesterday (~12h ago) so if anything was fixed since, you can ignore it.

Premium searches have been bugged for me, but I assume that will fix over time.

A few of the features I seriously miss since the new update:
- The ability to click a hat and do an instant premium search for THAT item (i.e when I want to prem.check a timewarp hat with no name, I dont really need to see steaming and demonflame and stuff as well. I used to be able to click "premium search" on it and find owners of time warp hat with no names and nothing else, which was perfect IMO). The build search thing looks like something we already had (I have searched non-unusual items before), and its cool the way it is I guess, but I would really like the abovementioned convenience back.

- The ability to right-click the date in the "last seen" column in item histories, bringing me to the backpack of the owner at that time. The layout turned bulky and stuff, but I dont care/mind about that too much. However, removing that function is a direct downgrade and I cant imagine it serving any purpose that you cant do that anymore. I guess ultimately I'd prefer item histories to return to the way they were, but most of all I'd want the last-seen accessible as it was before.

- The ability to see strange parts on items on the classifieds. has been fixed I believe

I kinda agree with the comments about layouts of suggestions and such, but they are not my main concern. As long as suggesting is still doable as it was before,

♫ MoPcKo cBuH4e :d

Cares' script is still not working. I can't see when a listing is created if it's bumped. And sometimes bp.tf listings are the whole market and the price wouldn't be accurate because I wouldn't be able to suggest the right price. :/

I also use bp.tf listings as unsolds as they may be better than some unbumped OP trades. So, please, fix this if possible.

P.S. At least Julia's script is working.

P.S.2. As Foamy said, as long as suggesting is still doable I am alright with it. I will get used to the new design.

Brad Pitt

I was gonna post this yesterday (~12h ago) so if anything was fixed since, you can ignore it.

Premium searches have been bugged for me, but I assume that will fix over time.

A few of the features I seriously miss since the new update:

- The ability to click a hat and do an instant premium search for THAT item (i.e when I want to prem.check a timewarp hat with no name, I dont really need to see steaming and demonflame and stuff as well. I used to be able to click "premium search" on it and find owners of time warp hat with no names and nothing else, which was perfect IMO). The build search thing looks like something we already had (I have searched non-unusual items before), and its cool the way it is I guess, but I would really like the abovementioned convenience back.

- The ability to right-click the date in the "last seen" column in item histories, bringing me to the backpack of the owner at that time. The layout turned bulky and stuff, but I dont care/mind about that too much. However, removing that function is a direct downgrade and I cant imagine it serving any purpose that you cant do that anymore. I guess ultimately I'd prefer item histories to return to the way they were, but most of all I'd want the last-seen accessible as it was before.

- The ability to see strange parts on items on the classifieds. has been fixed I believe

I kinda agree with the comments about layouts of suggestions and such, but they are not my main concern. As long as suggesting is still doable as it was before,

I think I fixed all that, let me know if something else is bugged. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Apo

I think I fixed all that, let me know if something else is bugged. Thanks for the feedback guys!

T-thank you S-senpai!

Foamy the Fearsome

Thanks a bunch! much better now ^^

Edvis_Knife

There's an automatic button in 'My Classified Listings' if that's what you mean.

Thanks, was it there before or that button was replaced?

Lowstar*

Why cant I change the price graph from USD to metal, it says backpack.tf Community ($USD) no matter what I change in the settings menu. I don't care about the color of the upvote/downvote, I don't care about bp.tf premium search (which was used mosly by sharks/scammers anyways, shame on you) but when I can't use basic features like the price history graph that means the site is gone shit.

Foamy the Fearsome

bp.tf premium search (which was used mosly by sharks/scammers anyways, shame on you) 

And by suggesters ;p