PSA: Gift Wrap and Giftapults

Tasty Salamanders

If you hadn't noticed; for about the last fortnight Gift Wrap and Giftapults have been unusable. You can neither wrap an item nor deliver a gift. You can still trade them and trade gift wrapped items, and as far as I am aware, you can still unwrap them.

However it appears as of a recent update a few hours ago that Gift Wrap has been removed from the Mann Co. Store and Giftapults are no longer craftable.

The reasons behind all this are unknown.

Posted · Hidden by polar, January 7, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by polar, January 7, 2016 - No reason given

From the 1/6/16 Patch Notes:

>Removed Gift Wrap

>Removed Giftapults

>All existing Gift Wraps will be replaced with Mann Co. Supply Crate Keys

>All existing Giftapults will be replaced with a Reclaimed Metal

jk

Probably because of how you can bypass escrow like that poor guy on reddit who lost thousands of dollars after he got hi-jacked where the hijacker gifted away everything he had. ( bypassing escrow )

Here's the link if anyone's interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/3ytd2d/hijacked_overnight_over_3000_worth_of_items_stolen/

He deleted his post so here's a short summary;

- hijacked, australiums, unusual taunts etc all gifted away

- hijacker took screenshots of items being gifted / giftwraps etc

- valve cant restore items because they already did it for him once

It was removed because people hack into accounts, and instead of trading items away, they giftapult them away to avoid the steam guard.

From the 1/6/16 Patch Notes:

>Removed Gift Wrap

>Removed Giftapults

>All existing Gift Wraps will be replaced with Mann Co. Supply Crate Keys

>All existing Giftapults will be replaced with a Reclaimed Metal

jk

jk

avsPP20.png

8Nc8LCr.png

3jHX5UT.png

200.gif

In my defense i managed to sell it back .. short a few cents.

It's a shame really, I wanted someone to gift me something but I guess I have to do that whole "waiting" thing now until they fix this up.

valve cant restore items because they already did it for him once

Well to be honest if you have such a large backpack and you have fallen prey to a hijack before you would expect them to learn the first time...

All forms of hijacking/phishing can be avoided with common sense really.

Honestly though if all of you think giftwrap/giftwrap is the only way to bypass escrow then you are wrong.  There are still many successful hijackers with escrow being there. 

Honestly though if all of you think giftwrap/giftwrap is the only way to bypass escrow then you are wrong.  There are still many successful hijackers with escrow being there. 

Sort of - you would need to hijack the victim's account before being able to take items out. Gift wrapping / giftapulting had become the easiest way to transfer the victim's items out after Mobile Authentication became a thing.

It was literally either that, or having to wait 3 days (which would've been more than enough time to cancel a trade offer giving away your items), or somehow getting ahold of the victim's phone. You can see why gift wrap is a big deal now.

As much as I hate the prospect of gift wrap being removed (I collect non-tradable stranges and sell / buy non-tradables pretty regularly) it's a very necessary step to keep any hijacking victim's items safe.

As much as I hate the prospect of gift wrap being removed (I collect non-tradable stranges and sell / buy non-tradables pretty regularly) it's a very necessary step to keep any hijacking victim's items safe.

I'd think it's far more likely they're working on a way to stop the gifts from going through without the trade holds over just removing all forms of gifting entirely, now perhaps if they can't find a way to stop that from happening they might decide it's safer to completely remove it all but I have hopes that the current removal is just a safety precaution while they work on fixing it.

Really? 2 weeks? I thought this was just a day or two

I can say with 100% certainty that it has been over a week because I have been unable to complete certain trades because of it. I can't say how much longer than that it has been, hence "about the last fortnight".

Isnt escrow server side compared to the rest of valves stupid client side 'preventions' i.e. you will literally have to hack steam servers to bypass escrow?

Isnt escrow server side compared to the rest of valves stupid client side 'preventions' i.e. you will literally have to hack steam servers to bypass escrow?

Not in that sense. They're referring to the fact that one can bypass trade hold by gift wrapping everything and gifting it in-game. This isn't regarded as a trade and won't show up in your trade history and escrow / mobile authentication won't be activated as no actual trade is being done. Once the hijacker gift wraps everything, he can simply gift it away to another account.

If it had been implemented perfectly then that ought to be the case. It hasn't been implemented perfectly (which is not that surprising). 

If it had been implemented perfectly then that ought to be the case. It hasn't been implemented perfectly (which is not that surprising). 

I'm sure the intention wasn't to make it perfect, just a buffer so when that ultimately fails too, they will have good reason to just remove trading.

Their security news post basically alluded to it, they even mentioned they make more money from people using the market, they have too many good reasons to remove trading and they won't really spend the time making steam safe if it means more money for them.

Well a possible workaround would be to implement 'gift confirmations', which is possibly ridiculous but at least until a better solution comes along, meh.

Valve is still selling Gift Wraps in the Mann-co Store. So I think they are working on some kind of solution without removing Gift Wrap at all.

wait if i buy a wrap from the market will it turn into a key :)

SCM(Steam community market)

I'm not sure where in this discussion you got that from......but no, obviously not. 

Nope, giftapults and gift wraps still as normal for me.

Same, they still work for me, and I still have them in my inventory

Archived