Help me cut costs from my PC build

Fenrir

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GBCY3C<--- build, its supposed to be a silent (overclocked) skylake centric machine, so keep that in mind

Looking to get it to around 1000 - 1100$ USD range. Not willing to change my Graphics Card or my i5 6600k CPU, as those are the main components that the whole system is built around. 

I think I can improve cost-wise on the power supply, cpu cooler, and the case for sure, just looking for what you guys think. Any ideas for where to cut costs would be much appreciated. As always, keep in mind this is an overclocked skylake system, with the general intent to be as quiet as possible. Im trying to cut costs but Im not trying to put shitty parts into this machine, so Im looking for better bang for buck options than what I have down currently. 

Note on peripherals: dont fuck w/ the mousepad thats how I want it, also as for the keyboard just looking for something that is very quiet when you type as I game very late into the night and dont want to upset my roommates.

Lastly, I dont have the OS cost factored in, but a lot of people tell me theres different ways to get it for free? ie torrenting or porting over from my previous pc or stuff of the like.. any ideas here would be appreciated as well.

Also, if you just have any nitpickings about my build at all tell me, and I will gladly listen.

Haswell is only marginally slower than Skylake (when comparing the same chips against eachother) but are quite a bit cheaper. A 4790k, will beat a 6600k in every way. And you if you don't want to change the GPU, fine, but that's an easy way to knock off another $30. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($299.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Monitor: Dell E2414HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($99.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1133.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-04 23:32 EST-0500

-snip

Awesome's suggestion is correct. Don't waste your time on the DeathStalker or and Razer Product other than perhaps their mouse and mousepad line. The DeathStalker is basically a laptop keyboard with the Razer branding and green leds. Even a rubber membrane keyboard is more satisfying unless you have to have chiclet keys.

Haswell is only marginally slower than Skylake (when comparing the same chips against eachother) but are quite a bit cheaper. A 4790k, will beat a 6600k in every way. And you if you don't want to change the GPU, fine, but that's an easy way to knock off another $30. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1133.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-04 23:32 EST-0500

Actually, it would seem if you overclock the i5 6600k 4.5 GHz, you get the same, if not better results as the i74790k:

A few notes as Im reading over your build:

• Also if I stick with the 6600k, as I so far think I will, they run DDR4 RAM, so there's that, but I would also like to ask your opinion on 8GB vs 16GB, as a lot of games recently are reccomending 16 GB of RAM (like Battlefront et cetera)
  • I think I can get away with 500 Watts on powersupply.. thoughts?
  • I hear the Gigabyte r9 390s are voltage locked? I dont know if thats right, but it kind of dissaudes me and makes me want to just save another 50$ case I want to overclock it later down the line.
  • Keyboard is a little loud, looking for something silent
  • Nice find on the Dell monitor, hadnt spotted it, its same price with an extra 3"

Again, trying to minimize the noise coming from this machine as much as possible within the price range

dont get any video card other than nvidia. its a bitch to deal with. some games are broken and the install is painfu. i made a terrible mistake listening to people telling me to get an r9 series video card cough awesomemccoolname cough

dont get any video card other than nvidia. its a bitch to deal with. some games are broken and the install is painfu. i made a terrible mistake listening to people telling me to get an r9 series video card cough awesomemccoolname cough

Hahah, I havent heard anybody saying anything about that? any examples?

Actually, it would seem if you overclock the i5 6600k 4.5 GHz, you get the same, if not better results as the i74790k:

• Also if I stick with the 6600k, as I so far think I will, they run DDR4 RAM, so there's that, but I would also like to ask your opinion on 8GB vs 16GB, as a lot of games recently are reccomending 16 GB of RAM (like Battlefront et cetera)
  • Nice cost cutting on the storage
  • I hear the Gigabyte r9 390s are voltage locked? I dont know if thats right, but it kind of dissaudes me and makes me want to just save another 50$ case I want to overclock it later down the line.
  • Nice find on the Dell monitor, hadnt spotted it, its same price with an extra 3"

If you can get a 6600k to 4.5ghz (which is far from guaranteed). A 4690k and 6600k will yield more or less the same results and a 4790k will also yield more or less the same results simply because games can't leverage the extra threads well -- that doesn't mean it's not a more powerful choice and considering a 4790k and 6600k system are about the same, a 4790k makes a lot more sense (truthfully, for just gaming a 4690k makes the most sense). 

8gb of RAM is still enough plus you can easily add another 8gb in the future when more is needed. 

I've never heard that before, but it's possible. 

There are no really silent keyboards. Chiclets will be the quietest, but even they will piss off your roommates. 

Nvidia's drivers are just as shitty right now. 

nvidia is easily better than whatever r9 series card you recommend; i always see you recommend it on builds and its just not worth it.

even toughsox, who was helping me build, made a comment along the lines of how it was stupid to choose those over a nvidia card

If you can get a 6600k to 4.5ghz (which is far from guaranteed). A 4690k and 6600k will yield more or less the same results and a 4790k will also yield more or less the same results simply because games can't leverage the extra threads well -- that doesn't mean it's not a more powerful choice and considering a 4790k and 6600k system are about the same, a 4790k makes a lot more sense (truthfully, for just gaming a 4690k makes the most sense). 

8gb of RAM is still enough plus you can easily add another 8gb in the future when more is needed. 

I've never heard that before, but it's possible. 

There are no really silent keyboards. Chiclets will be the quietest, but even they will piss off your roommates. 

- I'd also like to point out that the 6600k is about 100$ cheaper than the 4790k, which price is a big factor for me. I also do a lot of rendering videos and editing in Sony Vegas Pro for my job, if that matters at all as far as the usefulness of these cards to me. 

- I think I can get away with 500 Watts on my power supply.. thoughts?

- Thanks for the reccomendation on the Chiclet keyboard, I've found a couple that are like 20$ and illuminated, I think they'll work fine for what I have in mind (http://www.outletpc.com/yo7637.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAzai0BRCs2Yydo8yptuIBEiQAN3_lFkjKZm2X4WmYyw3NTX9EaNvlhGJI_2uLPgK1xbJRBoMaAo_S8P8HAQ)

Also as for Fireball, it seems the R9 has the best performance over nvidia which is why I chose it, at least in the price range I chose (300$~)

- I'd also like to point out that the 6600k is about 100$ cheaper than the 4790k, which price is a big factor for me. I also do a lot of rendering videos and editing in Sony Vegas Pro for my job, if that matters at all as far as the usefulness of these cards to me. 

- Thanks for the reccomendation on the Chiclet keyboard, I've found a couple that are like 20$ and illuminated, I think they'll work fine for what I have in mind (http://www.outletpc.com/yo7637.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAzai0BRCs2Yydo8yptuIBEiQAN3_lFkjKZm2X4WmYyw3NTX9EaNvlhGJI_2uLPgK1xbJRBoMaAo_S8P8HAQ)

Also as for Fireball, it seems the R9 has the best performance over nvidia which is why I chose it, at least in the price range I chose (300$~)

And a 4690k is even cheaper and offers more or less the same performance. But for rendering an i7 would be very useful. A quality 500w would be fine, but I didn't see another cheaper psu that I would opt for instead. Also, if you're rendering, then you may want to go with an IPS monitor as it will have better color accuracy. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($259.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($102.09 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1060.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-05 01:02 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($223.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1027.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-05 01:02 EST-0500

• I think I can get away with 500 Watts on powersupply.. thoughts?

Again, trying to minimize the noise coming from this machine as much as possible within the price range

8 vs 16 GB is not worth especially if you're hellbent on DDR4. Still way too expensive. Most games don't exceed 5-6 GB of Ram so you'll be fine there. Stay away from Gigabyte R9 390's in general the first version (usually the cheapest) is the one that is plagued by the shut off issue. If you're looking for a silent keyboard I would reccomend trying to use a mechanical keyboard and go for MX Brown's or Clears from the Corsair Strafe.

Hahah, I havent heard anybody saying anything about that? any examples?

a good example is battlefront 2. all the textures are broken in that game and its unplayable. the installation of the card is long/tedious, and the software to update is crappy. youre better off, if what you say is true, giving up a few fps to get nvidia. the control panel and the geforce program makes it worth it.

Yeah I had a bad experience with a AMD notebook that had both a AMD processor and AMD dedicated graphics card, both mobile versions obviously. It just never worked out of the box. It was pretty much DOA. Luckily I bought it from Newegg when I had Premier and returned it for a full refund. They took it back even though I opened it.  Never considered or touched any AMD products since for both desktop and mobile. I don't know, it's like AMD doesn't care anymore.

But of course, that's just my opinion. :D

I would also like to add that I had a intel/nvidia notebook that worked flawlessly. Hence I built a desktop with Intel / Nvidia.

Power supplies can be tricky personally i would stick with 550w. Maby in the future you would like to upgrade some things(guaranteed) and personally i would never go with the cheapest power supply just because it can go out on you.

Yeah 500 is cutting it way too close. That pcpartpicker list doesn't even count any fans or peripherals you might be plugging in. Also overclocking increases the power requirement of the chips you overclock so you'll really want that extra real estate.

nvidia is easily better than whatever r9 series card you recommend; i always see you recommend it on builds and its just not worth it.

even toughsox, who was helping me build, made a comment along the lines of how it was stupid to choose those over a nvidia card

Own a XFX R9 390. <Not a single issue.

Oh well that and the around 250+ people on Newegg that haven't had issues.

yes because 250 people represents the general population of the r9 graphics card users and how their opinion is amd>nvidia

So far these are the revisions I've made: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HhyMjX

Still havent decided whether or not to opt out of the R9 or not, as I do own Battlefront 2 and want to play it D:

But we'll see how it turns out

just google it and youll see the many issues the cards have with battlefront 2. i cant even play it and neither can everyone else. the textures are broken and its laggy and glitchy

yes because 250 people represents the general population of the r9 graphics card users and how their opinion is amd>nvidia

just google it and youll see the many issues the cards have with battlefront 2. i cant even play it and neither can everyone else. the textures are broken and its laggy and glitchy

Could show more evidence of AMD users being fine but I have a feeling it'll be futile.

Is that the only game its broken for?

I doubt it's the only game broken for AMD GPU's but regardless I'm glad someone else on these forums has had a bad experience with the stuff they're pushing out.  :D   At the end of the day I'm firm in my knowledge with computer hardware.

Everyone else can choose to believe what they want. ;)

I do see a bunch of reports about recent issues there.... 

Let's see: 

• (June 2015) Arkham Knight launch day/week bugs (a game that was a mess for BOTH AMD and NVIDIA) and has since been fixed (well, as much as it was for Nvidia). 
  • (August 2015) Some random bug with an AMD driver that caused a problem in Windows 10 that was fixed in the next driver update (in that very same thread people are complaining about issues with their Nvidia cards as well). 
  • (September 2015 -- before the game was fully patched/"Fixed" in Novmeber~) Another post complaining about Akrham Knight (again, a game that was a shit show for everyone) 
  • A general help thread from AMD to address crashes/hangs/freeze ups (i.e. a troubleshooting FAQ that Nvidia has as well). 
  • (August 2015) AMD pushes out an update to patch a bug in the just released drivers. 
  • (updated January 2016) A general help thread for fixing a display is not responding error caused by BOTH AMD and Nvidia GPUs. 
  • (June 2013) A list of games that are supposedly only broken on AMD. 
  • (June 2012) working around a broken AMD driver.
  • A help thread from Windows about windows 10 that makes no mention to AMD or Nvidia
  • (June 2014) Someone experiencing tearing with an AMD fault (not in any way AMDs fault). 

Need I continue? Your link is bullshit and proves absolute dick. 

Here, enjoy my meaningless garbage link: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=game+broken+on+nvidia+card+

As of this past year or so AMD has had more launch day game bugs than Nvidia has, but all of which get patched within a couple days at most. And the unfortunate truth is that Nvidia's drivers have gotten worse than they used to be while AMD is improving theirs since their drivers USED to be a disaster -- now it's pretty even. 

Archived