Original vs. Rocket Launcher

Apollo

I much prefer the way the original looks to the default rocket launcher, but because of the fact that it sits in the center of your screen and looks really stupid at that, I prefer the regular rocket launcher. If the original were simply on the side of the screen, I would be an original fan.

The two are practically reskins, but the Stock RL shoots from the side while the Original shoots down the center.

While this may seem like a small difference, this comes up a few times when you're trying to shoot around corners. With the stock RL, you can shoot a rocket around a corner and hit something without entirely exposing yourself. If there's a sentry guarding a room, attackers coming through, or you want to spam rockets into the next room, you can more easily shoot rockets around the corner without taking too many bullets yourself. With the Original, however, you'll have to peek out a little bit more if you don't want to blast yourself in the face. This means exposing yourself more to a Sentry gun, incoming attackers, or a spamfest occurring in the next room.

It's rather situational really. If you're on an open map like Hightower, there isn't any difference between the two. However, if you're on a map like 2Fort with closed areas, you might want to consider taking the stock with you.

Its all a matter of perspective and which rocket launcher better suits you in playing with it. Yes, having a different angle of a rocket launcher might affect your performance just by how uncomfortable you are with the angle (not including people that have weapon models turned off).

I mostly prefer the stock just because i got used to it and it has more cosmetic versions of it, even though i used to play a lot of quake. However i don't mind the original here and there  :D

I like the stock rocket launcher myself. There isn't really any difference, but I'm more used to having the viewmodel on the right side of the screen.

Also there aren't cool looking skins for the original.

The two are practically reskins, but the Stock RL shoots from the side while the Original shoots down the center.

While this may seem like a small difference, this comes up a few times when you're trying to shoot around corners. With the stock RL, you can shoot a rocket around a corner and hit something without entirely exposing yourself. If there's a sentry guarding a room, attackers coming through, or you want to spam rockets into the next room, you can more easily shoot rockets around the corner without taking too many bullets yourself. With the Original, however, you'll have to peek out a little bit more if you don't want to blast yourself in the face. This means exposing yourself more to a Sentry gun, incoming attackers, or a spamfest occurring in the next room.

It's rather situational really. If you're on an open map like Hightower, there isn't any difference between the two. However, if you're on a map like 2Fort with closed areas, you might want to consider taking the stock with you.

this answer makes the question seem silly

Its all a matter of perspective and which rocket launcher better suits you in playing with it. Yes, having a different angle of a rocket launcher might affect your performance just by how uncomfortable you are with the angle (not including people that have weapon models turned off).

When it comes to accuracy, the angle doesn't make much of a difference. The rockets will still hit the point you are aiming at. Maybe you'll see a difference when shooting something three centimeters in front of you, but in general you won't see much of a difference.

When it comes to accuracy, the angle doesn't make much of a difference. The rockets will still hit the point you are aiming at. Maybe you'll see a difference when shooting something three centimeters in front of you, but in general you won't see much of a difference.

Well yes, i never said it otherwise  :lol: , however if people are not used to the angle of the original and are uncomfortable with it, then it will affect their performance only a bit, just because they are not used to it as much as the stock launcher.

this answer makes the question seem stupid

It's still a valid question, though. The angle doesn't make the RL the superior weapon. Play around with both and you won't see any difference at all. The only moment you might notice a difference is in the situation I've mentioned, but it's situational and not a game-changing difference. I personally recommend taking whichever you're most comfortable with or favor in skin; the Original is a reskin after all.

RL

Original reloads slower overall, with the first rocket reloaded taking 1.683 seconds, and each additional rocket taking 0.78 seconds (compared to 0.92 and 0.8 respectively)

Also the RL can shoot around left corners, which can be good for destroying sentries without exposing yourself.

Original reloads slower overall, with the first rocket reloaded taking 1.683 seconds, and each additional rocket taking 0.78 seconds (compared to 0.92 and 0.8 respectively)

Interesting, I never knew that.  That fact alone to me means RL > Original.  

I just seem to perform better with the stock RL.  Better airshots, better jumps, better aim, etc.  Might be all in my head though.

The original I find easier to jump with. It's also easier to hit things directly with it than stock due to it being located in the centre. These two factors make it the clear winner for me but I'm poor so I cant buy a strange one. :<

You'll definitely notice a difference if you go for air shots or play on badlands spire in MGE. The off-centered rockets from stock are definitely different and require different aiming to hit precisely. 

RL

Also the RL can shoot around left corners, which can be good for destroying sentries without exposing yourself.

Never heard of this, and it's from community testing. I'll probably experiment with this for myself later.

RL

source on the reload times :?

I prefer the regular rocket launcher, more used to the view model

I use both personally, though I do find it a bit easier to hit airshots with the Original however this could be due to my more extensive experience with the Original and using rocket launchers in other games with similar placement, but in recent times I've managed to switch between them much easier than in the past where I'd struggle to adjust to the different firing position.

Rocket Launcher. I can't pogo correctly with the original and having a weapon in the middle of your screen is just awkward being that the other FPS I play have its weapon on the right.

Archived