Does a better looking trade = more success

Scrublordington the III

You can spend time making your trade look fancy with colored text and stuff but does it necessarily grant more traffic as opposed to the person with the plain looking trade?

At the end of the day, most people still don't read the trades so why bother, amiright?

Opinions? Personal Successes?

The more you write and/or color the less people read. A better looking trade is more successful, but you have to understand what better looking actually looks like in a trade.

Cluttering up trade notes with flashy lights and bright colors is the worst thing you can do.

But if you want to make sure people catch a detail, it helps to change the color or something. 

the #1 thing that matters in a trade is the price.

State the price.

Put it on the first line.

Next line write send offer or w/e.

More than price + simple note? You're just another spam cancer trade.

Asking for offers only no price? You're just another spam cancer trade.

Yeah a well formatted trade with sufficient color usage would definitely be better than a plain text boring looking trade.

Prices could be highlighted in red, special requests in green, etc. Things like that would generally be useful for readers seeing that most of them can't seem to read English and adds you even when you tell them not to and sends you shit offers when you tell them you want *x amount of keys* pure only.

I always try to avoid writing long walls of text, but people keep doing stupid things like buying my stuff when I'm buying stuff.

And then with long walls of text, you need colour to make the very important ones stand out.

So does that mean the white text are not important (and should be removed)?

No.

Freak this.

People respond to color.  It's a biological fact. 

Good ads:

• use color to distinguish different kinds of information,
  • use a small number of colors that all look good together,
  • avoid high-contrast transitions or use them very sparingly
  • and leave the attractant properties of color as a side effect.  

Puddington's ads are about the best out there.

Bad ads use too many colors, too much contrast between adjacent colors, and apply color to non-information like "My Item Shop."

Puddington's ads [/url]are about the best out there

I agree with everything you said 100%, exept for when you say pudding's is the best.

First of all, his first couple trades have no color. Second his next trades have a ugly green that becomes a little hard to read on a brown background.

If you want a good example, just Google most effective posters or something like that. For good colour combos visit colourlovers.com

I don't really believe that a good looking trade will increase the amount of offers.  I've tried different things, made my trades prettier, included longer amounts of text, etc. In the end, it pretty much all comes down to the hat and how the market is currently going. 

The Simpler and Specific the trade looks the more traffic you get, doesn't matter fanciness or other things like that, mention things that you shouldn't mention, like when you say "i also accept overpay" MENTION that you want items as overpay, "I accept either pure or overpay in items" because you will be surprised by how many people don't know what overpay is.

Also, people who don't read your trading post aren't going to read it no matter how you format it, or how brightly coloured you make the important parts.  Whether because of innocent confusion (mixed up which tab he was in), language barriers (doesn't speak English), or arrogant entitlement ("his rules don't apply to me"), you're always going to get people who ignore whatever you write.

You can spend time making your trade look fancy with colored text and stuff but does it necessarily grant more traffic as opposed to the person with the plain looking trade?

At the end of the day, most people still don't read the trades so why bother, amiright?

Opinions? Personal Successes?

Well, to be honest, and though it may seem a bit prejudice, I (and probably others) look at the person's name rather than the post / trade information. My name "Mengh facepalms." and nothing extra is simply alright. A couple would also say that getting premium status is better, as their name is a different colour.

Anyways, sure, colour and excessive punctuation use makes for a great trade, however, it's also got to just be simple and to the point like this:

Item name

Price

Details / Escrow / Circumstances

I just want to know the specifics and then, I'd consider buying it if I'm interested.

The more you write and/or color the less people read. A better looking trade is more successful, but you have to understand what better looking actually looks like in a trade.

In my case if I write anything nobody reads it anyway.

If your information is straightforward and to the point, this helps make your trade more successful that just the   a   e   s   t   h   e   t   i   c   s.

In any layout use of colour is an important technique for empahsis. However, if you do it too much it ceases to be emphasis and becomes visual clutter. Same for font size and font weight.

Archived