PC Gear you need to avoid buying

Tiu

I have some cash currently and i wanna update my gear.

I wanna ask you guys if you've experienced or heard any gear that wasn't close to be considered "Bang for your buck"

Basically a "Don't buy this thing" list

Do include the brand and the model.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gamer sleeves are the best investment you can make in this world.

Serious talk though, do NOT go for a water cooling system. Go with air cooling. If you want a water cooling setup, go with a custom water loop, be prepared to spend BIG. "Cheap" water cooling kits are noisier than high end air cooling, perform worse, AND they cost more.

Anything that is marketed towards "gamers", can generally have identical products found, made by the same company, but without all the red paint other flashy things, for half the cost.

If you find "gamer" RAM or "gamer" motherboard, have a look in the same product lineup. Chances are, there is an identical product that costs less, and is identical. Do not listen to any marketing about how the heatspreaders on RAM will increase the performance. Heatspreaders on RAM have not helped since the first generation of DDR. We are up to DDR4, they run very cool and require almost no airflow, even if you are a hardcore overclocker and tweak your RAM timings.

Do NOT buy gaming headsets. Buy a separate microphone (clip on or desk, does not matter) and a good pair of music headphones. Gaming headsets combine average headphone quality with a rubbish microphone and then ask for twice as much, compared to buying them and building your own "gaming" headset. E.g. buy a ModMic or a Zalmon clip on to put on your music headphones, do not buy gaming headsets.

Do not listen to the marketing of "7.1 surround sound!" for gaming headsets. Those are rubbish. You cannot have 7.1 surround sound without 8 speakers placed around you. The end. No matter how hard they say they have "advanced technology to simulate it".

There are exceptions to the rule. The hyper cloud II gaming headset is decent. This is the exception, not the rule.

Avoid RGB lighting on peripherals. Make sure you pay for the quality of the product, not how it looks. It is okay to buy an RGB keyboard, as long as you realise what you are getting into and aren't dazzled by marketing terms like "16.8 million colour combinations!" You'll run out of keys for all the different colours before you get anywhere near that figure.

Do NOT get RGB lighting on a mouse unless you call yourself a casual gamer who would not notice the extra weight on the mouse. Those lights add a lot to the weight, you want the mouse to be as light as possible for those lift off swipes. Seriously, even a few grams can make a difference to how light the mouse feels, and how fast you can react as a result.

This is just the basics. Go ask Setsul on the teamfortress.tv PC Build thread for a more indepth explanation before you throw your money away. http://www.teamfortress.tv/12714

Don't fall for the NVidia hype.

Search instead the best deal for your budget.

(if instead you meant "accessories" only, avoid Razer, their products are heavily overpriced)

If you find "gamer" RAM or "gamer" motherboard, have a look in the same product lineup. Chances are, there is an identical product that costs less, and is identical. Do not listen to any marketing about how the heatspreaders on RAM will increase the performance. Heatspreaders on RAM have not helped since the first generation of DDR. We are up to DDR4, they run very cool and require almost no airflow, even if you are a hardcore overclocker and tweak your RAM timings.

Computer hardware isn't like that one freaking dust off "gamer" advertisement. (That video was so cringe) Gaming motherboards actually have different features from regular ones such as an increased focus on sound quality and ethernet for online gaming. Not to mention that all "gaming" motherboards have a chipset that allows overclocking. (They also look really freaking cool which is something a lot of people care about.)

Honestly I don't think I've heard of anyone advertising "gamer" RAM. I mean come on, if you're a pc builder you'll know better than that. Whether heat spreaders are important or not may be debatable, but pretty much everyone is using them so it's not really a selling point. (Some heat spreaders also look pretty freaking cool but can be a pain in the ass with certain CPU coolers)

Avoid cheap psu's. They wont last as long as a good one will, and after a month or so they will get obnoxiously loud. Also, general advice, if something better than the one you want only cost £10 more, buy that one. Even if it pushes the budget out a little youll get a better pc for it.

Do NOT buy gaming headsets. Buy a separate microphone (clip on or desk, does not matter) and a good pair of music headphones. Gaming headsets combine average headphone quality with a rubbish microphone and then ask for twice as much, compared to buying them and building your own "gaming" headset. E.g. buy a ModMic or a Zalmon clip on to put on your music headphones, do not buy gaming headsets.

+1

Buying a gaming headset is downright useless. I have myself a set of bose headphones with a clip on microphone. Gaming headsets are rubbish compared to the sound quality of my proper music headphones, and the mic is probably better quality also.

Buy a good PSU also, it is the lifeblood of your PC and if it fails so does your whole PC.

This chart below should be followed like the bible:

https://i.imgur.com/tgrbCnr.jpg

Computer hardware isn't like that one freaking dust off "gamer" advertisement. (That video was so cringe) Gaming motherboards actually have different features from regular ones such as an increased focus on sound quality and ethernet for online gaming. Not to mention that all "gaming" motherboards have a chipset that allows overclocking. (They also look really freaking cool which is something a lot of people care about.)

Honestly I don't think I've heard of anyone advertising "gamer" RAM. I mean come on, if you're a pc builder you'll know better than that. Whether heat spreaders are important or not may be debatable, but pretty much everyone is using them so it's not really a selling point. (Some heat spreaders also look pretty freaking cool but can be a pain in the ass with certain CPU coolers)

Heatspreaders benefit is not debatable. The end. They were already "debatable" when DDR2 first came out. They do not help in the slightest other than aesthetics.

http://www.teamfortress.tv/29761/will-the-noctua-nh-d15-fit-on-1151-sockets#12

"Gaming" motherboards are not the only motherboards with overclockable chipsets. It either has an X or a Z in it, or it does not. That determines whether it will support overclocking, not the "gaming" brand.

So called "improved" onboard sound is still garbage. If you want good sound, you get a real sound expansion card. The end.

The ethernet is just some random bullshit about how it has "built in QoS" that prioritises gaming packets over facebook packets or SmartTV packets. Useless.

Also, it is much MUCH cheaper to buy some tape, tape over all the important components on the motherboard and spray paint the motherboard yourself. If you are into that sort of thing.

People DO fall for "gamer" RAM. Those are the same people who still look at AMD's marketing for their 3 year old FX processors. 8 CORES!!!! 5 GHz!!!!!!!!!! Stock water cooling!!!!!!!!!

And they buy it, failing to check benchmarks showing Intel Core i3s getting better FPS in games with half the TDP.

Without idiots like that, AMD would be much worse off than they are currently.

On the subject of FX processors, Zen hype! (Not really).

The Linus guy actually advises against trying to paint your board. Also, so what if good aesthetic costs more? It won't stop people from coordinating their parts lists to have a nice looking color scheme. It's like fashion, functionally pointless, but many people love it. 

tech to avoid:

-smartwatches

-"gamer" branded anything (with a small few exceptions)

-no-name brand PSUs

-Seagate

-Windows 10

+1 on everything you listed

tech to avoid:

-smartwatches

-no-name brand PSUs

-Seagate

-Windows 10

I got a smartwatch for my last birthday, +1. Absolute piece of garbage. You can literally check your texts, your heart rate, and the time. Not worth the money

Actually i'm using Headphones with built in microphone right now (G230's) and they work hell as fine. Just bought them recently and i wear in ear earphones inside it that way i can hear well (Panasonic earphones idk). It's a pretty good and cheap setup imo and it works like a charm, for now...

Just bought them recently and i wear in ear earphones inside it that way i can hear well (Panasonic earphones idk).

I've heard of people doing that, but is that really better than just buying noise canceling headphones?

I've heard of people doing that, but is that really better than just buying noise canceling headphones?

The earphones themselves are noise canceling already and the headphones just block off the external sound that tends to leak in

Actually i'm using Headphones with built in microphone right now (G230's) and they work hell as fine. Just bought them recently and i wear in ear earphones inside it that way i can hear well (Panasonic earphones idk). It's a pretty good and cheap setup imo and it works like a charm, for now...

G230s are excellent quality headsets. I've used them for years and never have problems with them, sound is excellent and I've no complaints about mic quality. You can find them new for around ~70 and probably cheaper used if you're into that, best bang for your buck IMO. 

G230s are excellent quality headsets. I've used them for years and never have problems with them, sound is excellent and I've no complaints about mic quality. You can find them new for around ~70 and probably cheaper used if you're into that, best bang for your buck IMO. 

I agree, the microphone quality is just magnificent. I bought it for only $57. Anything razer on the other hand is just downright -_-

Gamer sleeves are the best investment you can make in this world.

Serious talk though, do NOT go for a water cooling system. Go with air cooling. If you want a water cooling setup, go with a custom water loop, be prepared to spend BIG. "Cheap" water cooling kits are noisier than high end air cooling, perform worse, AND they cost more.

Anything that is marketed towards "gamers", can generally have identical products found, made by the same company, but without all the red paint other flashy things, for half the cost.

Do not listen to the marketing of "7.1 surround sound!" for gaming headsets. Those are rubbish. You cannot have 7.1 surround sound without 8 speakers placed around you. The end. No matter how hard they say they have "advanced technology to simulate it".

There are exceptions to the rule. The hyper cloud II gaming headset is decent. This is the exception, not the rule.

Avoid RGB lighting on peripherals. Make sure you pay for the quality of the product, not how it looks. It is okay to buy an RGB keyboard, as long as you realise what you are getting into and aren't dazzled by marketing terms like "16.8 million colour combinations!" You'll run out of keys for all the different colours before you get anywhere near that figure.

Do NOT get RGB lighting on a mouse unless you call yourself a casual gamer who would not notice the extra weight on the mouse. Those lights add a lot to the weight, you want the mouse to be as light as possible for those lift off swipes. Seriously, even a few grams can make a difference to how light the mouse feels, and how fast you can react as a result.

This is just the basics. Go ask Setsul on the teamfortress.tv PC Build thread for a more indepth explanation before you throw your money away. http://www.teamfortress.tv/12714

AIO's are perfectly fine. Depending on whether you get a good one, temps will be lower and quieter than a Air cooler can.

tech to avoid:

-smartwatches

-no-name brand PSUs

-Seagate

-Windows 10

Smartwatches are great. Seagate drives are just fine, the Blackblaze reports are bullshit if you look into how the data is discovered. Windows 10 is just as good as W7/XP/8.1. 

Cheap motherboards. Self-explanatory.

Any modern motherboard from a reputable company (Asrock, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA) are perfectly fine -- even the cheap ones. And even Foxconn, Biostar, and ECS boards can be acceptable under the right conditions (i.e. not overclocking) -- although they're never priced competitively to ever warrant considering one. 

AIO's are perfectly fine. Depending on whether you get a good one, temps will be lower and quieter than a Air cooler can.

It depends on the coolers you're comparing. Something like a Noctua NH-D15 will outperform most 240mm AIOs and will yield similar results to 280mm AIOs (and beat some). i.e. AIOs and air coolers trade blows. The differences are that AIOs can be a bit louder than a good high end air cooler, air coolers are generally cheaper, and air coolers have one less part that can fail. With all of that said, the decision between an AIO and air cooler is pretty much completely dependent on the individual making the decision -- both will yield similar results at a somewhat similar price point. 

Use your brain. Think physics.

If a heatsink's temperature is 50°C and I blow some air through it with a fan, the air coming out of the other end, it is not 50°C. It will take some of the heat away, but nowhere near all of it.

The most difficult part of moving heat away from stuff, is the medium transfer.

With an air cooling setup, the heat needs to go from the CPU to the heatspreader on the CPU, then to the heatsink, then to the air.

With a watercooling setup, you add an additional step. You need the heat to go into water. That is an additional medium transfer.

If you get a watercooling setup and an air cooling setup, with the radiator and heatsinks respectively having the SAME surface area, the air cooler will win. No contest.

The only advantage of watercooling in terms of performance, is because air cooling has a limit on how big of a heatsink you can have before it starts to obstruct stuff around it like the first PCIe expansion slot. Watercooling radiators can be put on top of the case, where there is room for more surface area. Even then, the pump noise is unbearable.

Setsul knows more than I do, you can read his post.

"Short answer: They're never worth it.

Long answer: If we're talking about those all in ones it's simply impossible for them to be better than a comparable air cooler.

Sound: The aio must be louder because the pump adds noise.

Price: The aio must be more expensive because the pump and tubes add cost.

Cooling: Thermodynamics 101. Heat flows from hotter to cooler places. So for the heat to go from the CPU block into the water then into the radiator and then into the air each must be hotter than the next one. By eliminating water as a step an air cooler saves a few degrees. Or in other words, the water actually adds temperature."

http://www.teamfortress.tv/12714/pc-build-thread/?page=19#557

The only time when a watercooling setup will be quieter than an air cooling setup, is when you spend $300+ on a custom loop with a radiator that has 4+ fans on it that spin really slowly. Even then, you have SO many points of failure.

Everything moving part in anything is another point of failure. Mechanical things stop working eventually. That is how the world works. By adding a pump and multiple fans, you are adding more points of failure as well as cost.

Guess what? All that money you spend on that custom water loop? You could have easily put that money towards getting a better CPU or GPU in the first place instead.

Do not ever say "AIOs are perfectly fine". They are not. You are embarrassing yourself and doing others a major disservice by spreading this misinformation.

Then again, 3 year old AMD FX processors are still being bought by idiots who think they are getting such a good deal. Idiots are essential to the way business works. Without them, marketing would not be a thing.

5GHz! Stock water cooling! 8 cores!

Meanwhile, some lowly Intel Core i3 gets higher framerates.

Then again, 3 year old AMD FX processors are still being bought by idiots who think they are getting such a good deal. Idiots are essential to the way business works. Without them, marketing would not be a thing.

Especially the so called FX 9000 series. Basically just overclocked 8000 series CPUs so hot that going Intel is cheaper when you consider you absolutely NEED a premium motherboard and some strong cooling just to run them.

Use your brain. Think physics.

-mindless AIO rant snip-

yeah....no 

You make it sound like AIOs are an awful choice compared to air coolers when they're not. Yes, there is an additional point of failure being the pump. Yes, in some cases the pump can be noisy (although that's not true with all AIOs). Yes, the temperatures CAN be the same, but AIO temps can also be lower (thanks to extra surface area and potentially better airflow -- in an H440 for example where case airflow isn't great an AIO does have an actual advantage). And something to keep in mind about the added pump noise is that it's usually far quieter than anything else in your system anyway. As it stands, my WD Blue is the loudest thing in my system even when compared to my GTX780 or Seidon 240m -- so getting a quieter cooler wouldn't even make a difference in terms of noise levels. 

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. 

AIO: 

• aesthetics 
  • easier to mount 
  • superior in a low airflow case 
  • performance 

Air cooler:

• aesthetics 
  • less complicated 
  • performance/$
  • quieter (sometimes)

Especially the so called FX 9000 series. Basically just overclocked 8000 series CPUs so hot that going Intel is cheaper when you consider you absolutely NEED a premium motherboard and some strong cooling just to run them.

an i5 is usually cheaper/the same cost as an FX8320 as well and in most cases is the better option (rendering being the exception).

Archived