a problem with the "having a backpack worth as much the item your pricing"

=HNLN=MouseGod

so today i saw that the le party phantom was being sold lower than the market price so i do what i usually do when i see prices like these and make a suggestion so i found the proof and did the math and put together a slightly better than decent suggestion than i get an error on the top of the webpage it says and i quote "Error! The price specified is too high compared to the value of your backpack. The maximum value you can submit is 1.85 buds (1x your highest backpack value)."

wtf? now i understand why you guys would do this many people would try and abuse this submission but really in theory i either need to be richer in tf2 or i'd have to collect 1500 contribution points now this was my first month of price voting and with 3 suggestions accepted (one being an unusual) 178 contribution points (going up still) and 84% of my votes correct out of 82 this site would trust me at this rate i'll need to wait 9 months to finally be able to price this thing i believe that unusual price requests should just go through permission of some mods before it gets realeased instead of require months and months of point collecting it's kinda confusing i'd still be fine with this if you could price unusuals as a donor but you still can't it's unfair for people like me who want to price dispite having a bunch of buds in my pocket and soon i'm selling my keys so i'll be able to price even less not cool there are 4 types of rich people on tf2 1. people who waited patiently and have grea trading skills 2. people who jut so happened to unbox a really valueable unusual or won one in a giveaway 3. scammers 4. people who spent an unessary amount of money on the game. jeez i just find a rule like this redicoulous and i'd like an exclamation of this rule and why i can't post my perfectly legitimate price for an unusual?

sorry if i posted this in the wrong location this alone caused me to post here it's my first so please tell me if i misplaced (very angry)

Unusual suggestions are very tricky with a lot of new rules and subtleties. In order to make a suggestion for these, we want people to have experience - (1) either in trading unusuals of similar values or (2) in making suggestions for cheaper hats or regular items first.

even so there are alot of people with expensive backpacks on bp.tf purely because they were lucky or they spent alot of money on the game then theres the people like pyroman who have very little backpack value but obviously great trading experience i just thought maybe it'd be easier to request unusual prices if you don't trust us so much to suggest a price for them.... :/ i may be new to this site but atleast 10 unusuals have been in and out of my backpack i really woundn't be as angry if it didn't cost that many points to be able to post suggestions if ur backpack is worth 1 bud u need aroud 1500 points to change a price of something around 6 buds.... i just don't think its fair and i think it doesn't really erquire so many months of expericence i've only got into the economy 2 weeks ago and i already know quite abit about it now enough of me ranting i'm just saying that i'd like to be able to suggest with my full potential and not be limited to the baby prices (those seem to be alot harder to price anyways...)

i'm hoping to hear your response.

Pyroman didn't go straight into unusual pricing. He had a lot of experience with making regular suggestions first. Enough experience to have enough rep points to start making low tier unusual suggestions.

Again, get experience making regular suggestions first before making unusual suggestions. Without experience making regular suggestions and no experience trading unusuals of that magnitude, it would be highly unlikely that you would make an appropriate unusual suggestion.

Your only attempted unusual suggestion wouldn't have passed because you didn't read the rules described here: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/4350-another-new-rule-regarding-unusual-suggestions-use-original-suggested-values/

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5272b4d84cd7b8c6468b4568

Your suggestion for the Circling Heart Le Party Phantom wouldn't have passed regardless of whether you had been able to post it properly or not.

This is because of a rather lengthy explanation detailed here about the fact that unusual prices fluctuate on backpack.tf without price changes actually occurring. To give the highly condensed version:

• When refined/keys/earbuds go â†‘ in value, then unusual prices go â†“ in value
  • When refined/keys/earbuds go â†“ in value, then Unusual prices go â†‘ in value

This has to do with the fact that unusual values are not actually stored in the bud value given to them when the previous suggestion was made, but rather the value of the unusual in USD (United States Dollars). If you check the graph on the stats page for the Circling Heart Le Party Phantom and mouse over the last end point, you'll see that it was last updated to 4.5-5.1 buds on July 23, 2013. The reason backpack.tf currently lists it as 6.1-6.9 refers back to the principle already stated and that refined and earbuds have dropped dramatically since the last time it was priced.

Now clearly stated in the forum thread I linked earlier, you'll notice the second rule which says, verbatim: "If you are suggesting a price drop just with B/Os and your price is higher than the original suggested one, you need at least one sale."

This means your suggestion was going to be too high to be accepted since you were suggesting 5.6-6 buds even though there was no proof of any sales in that range and nothing to back up that there's even been any sales/offers higher than the last update of 4.5-5.1 buds.

This is one of the lesser known quirks of backpack.tf, yet we are trying to educate people that it does exist. This is why we'd like people who actually have experience pricing or selling unusuals to do the unusual updating since dropping an unusual is not simply the same as dropping a regular item where you can simply show proof of lower buyouts, but differs due to the fact that unusuals are unique in the way their value is stored and how it fluctuates.

If you have any further questions please feel free to state them.

Please please please use punctuation marks in the future.

And this is to prevent people who don't know anything about unusuals and got a $5 bp from clogging up the site. Though there are ways to circumvent this *pyroman*

There are reasons for the restriction and 99% of the time its a good thing its there. 

If you have no experience with unusuals or no experience suggesting then you shouldn't be doing an unusual price suggestion. Period. 

Archived