Weird TF2 problem, what do you think.....

Toughsox

As I patiently await Steam Support to get their head out of their asses and respond to me, I figured I would just talk out my problems to see if anyone else has ever encountered this issue.

After the last update a few days ago, TF2 locks up for me, hard core. Im talking about, taking forever to load, then if it connects to the server, it takes 2-3 minutes, then, rubber banding all over the place to the point that it is totally unplayable.

So, before you go asking for my specs and stuff, my computer is a beast, 32 gigs of ram, 9 physical hard drives, 4 gigs of video ram on 2 vid cards, with an i7-4770k. 

Now, here are some other tidbits to chew on..... any other game in my list plays flawlessly, and have no issues. This includes CS:GO, DoD:S, to name a couple. 

Now here is where I think the problem is.....in the Steam Cloud. And here is why I think that.

1st I deleted TF2 and did a full reinstall, same problem.  Then, I deleted Steam completely and started over from scratch, same problem. When I did both of the new installs, Steam synched all my favorite servers, all my previous Steam settings..... so, whatever is going on seems like whatever glitch I have is sitting in their cloud and no new install is going to help me.

Thoughts, comments, questions, additional rants, by all means, please relay them here.....not like I can go play TF2 atm. 

I'm no computer expert, but when did this start happening to you? Just curious, because several of my friends' TF2 performance decreased significantly ever since Tough Break. (obvious question but checking, did you opt out of steam beta?)

Id say it was in the last 3 days or so, not immediately after the Tough Break as I did 4 contracts without a problems. 

As for the synching, yes, I guess I could do a reinstall and not let it synch but, that doesnt deal with the problem if there is anything actually wrong in my synched files. 

Only my C: is an SSD, 240 gig Intel with 40% free. Windows files just keep growing and growing. 

The other 8 are either 2 or 3 TB drives. Steam I use on a single drive and none of my drives are close to half capacity used. 

I did notice that I had 16kb stored on my synched files.....just deleted TF2 again and this time have the box unclicked for synching....lets see if that clears things up. 

Could either be the tough break update being the piece of crap it is or it has to do something with your SLI/cross fire profiles

Try running TF2 with only 1 card active

Could either be the tough break update being the piece of crap it is or it has to do something with your SLI/cross fire profiles

Try running TF2 with only 1 card active

Shouldnt be an issue with the video cards but if this new install doesnt cut it, I have nothing to lose by trying to lose one of the vid cards....not like TF2 needs the power I have. But it doesnt make sense that that would cause the problem.  

I'll try anything once. Just ask that midget in Tijuana back in '85 

not sure whats up with everyone but tf2 has been running at a solid 30 fps for me since the update. used to run 7-15 before, and ive got the shittiest computer.

not sure whats up with everyone but tf2 has been running at a solid 30 fps for me since the update. used to run 7-15 before, and ive got the shittiest computer.

Thats my point...... this last update should not have caused any issues, but I feel like Im back on dial up since it happened. 

Thats my point...... this last update should not have caused any issues, but I feel like Im back on dial up since it happened.

have you tried lowering the settings? make sure its the game and not the computer. end every process and run tf2, and just trial and error it with the settings. thats all ive got sorry, not the smartest asian out there

Try adding -default to your launch options.

---

Added -default launch option to help players triage performance / stability problems.

• When run with -default, the game will ignore most convar settings and run purely with default options
  • Upon exit, -default runs do not overwrite the player's config.cfg file. If a player wants to save the settings of a default run, they should execute host_writeconfig in the console.

After the last update a few days ago, TF2 locks up for me, hard core. Im talking about, taking forever to load, then if it connects to the server, it takes 2-3 minutes, then, rubber banding all over the place to the point that it is totally unplayable.

Now, here are some other tidbits to chew on..... any other game in my list plays flawlessly, and have no issues. This includes CS:GO, DoD:S, to name a couple. 

These 2 lines. This was happening to me, same thing, CS:GO i was playing flawlessly but i couldnt play tf2, cause it would take around 10 minutes to connecting to a server then it would just lag (good internet even tho, playing csgo comp at 20 ping) so much and i couldn't play.

Im back into tf2 now its fixed. All i did was get a new keyboard and mouse, and i dont know how but that fixed it... :/

Im back into tf2 now its fixed. All i did was get a new keyboard and mouse, and i dont know how but that fixed it... :/

HAHAHAHAHAHA......I have a new keyboard now, but thats because I got so pissed the other night I launched my old one across the room. But, it wasnt the KB that caused the issues.  Still at only 75% of the newest install.

@Cares, I will give that a shot if these other fixes don't work

And @LMF, I typically run 20 instances of TF2 on my VMs at the same time, this computer is that much of  beast...... its definitely not the computer in any way, shape or form. 

HAHAHAHAHAHA......I have a new keyboard now, but thats because I got so pissed the other night I launched my old one across the room. But, it wasnt the KB that caused the issues.  Still at only 75% of the newest install.

@Cares, I will give that a shot if these other fixes don't work

And @LMF, I typically run 20 instances of TF2 on my VMs at the same time, this computer is that much of  beast...... its definitely not the computer in any way, shape or form. 

Yeah i didnt think it caused the issues, my kb and mouse, but for some reason my game just improved.. dunno if it was an update? Or me updating my HUD? idk

Have you turned your computer on and off

Yep, numerous times. Disabled 7 of the hard drives just to get them out of the system. Updated Bios also required a reboot. 

#Eh, but like I said, I did 4 contracts for that already and didnt have any probs....it was right after they released the new winter crate. Whatever they did then messed me up.....and only on this one computer. The 20 VMs I run all updated as well and they are fine. 

Old habit of idling .....not profitable at all anymore, and old people hate change so I still cycle through them occasionally. 

Hard drives are between 6 months and 2 years, and all check out ok.....especially when I unplugged them when I started having this prob. 

Speaking for my Hubby, it seems the motherboard went haywire. Took out no less than 3 of his hard drives........its all working now (with a motherboard he hates) and is loading up all his programs and doing the Windows update dance. So much for $400 ASUS Gaming Boards. Pffffftttttt

Archived