Upgrade Help

funkle

So I have some money, I might spend some on PC upgrades but I know next to nothing about PCs and shit. I'll list my stuff below and just let me know what should be updated first and with what. I might not be looking to spend a whole lot because I do want to buy a gaming laptop too, but not until like summer 2016 so no rush. But yeah, thanks ;)

If I'm missing any important info just let me know and I'll find it. 

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Processor: Intel® Core i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 10240MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 10180MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7670

Display Memory: 5873 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 1009 MB
      Shared Memory: 4864 MB

I'm thinking that on top of upgrading your graphics you may also need to get a new power supply. The ones that come in prebuilt computer aren't exactly the best, and you may also need one with higher capacity to accommodate a more powerful card.

I'm thinking that on top of upgrading your graphics you may also need to get a new power supply. The ones that come in prebuilt computer aren't exactly the best, and you may also need one with higher capacity to accommodate a more powerful card.

Any suggestions for specific parts?

Any suggestions for specific parts?

What power supply do you have now? and how much do you want to spend/what games are you planning on playing? 

If you're playing relatively simple games and want to spend as little as possible, then I'd be looking towards an R7 370 (or a GTX 950 and skip the PSU depending). If you want to play more demanding games/at better settings, then a new PSU and a 4gb R9 380; or if you really want something powerful that will last for a while then an R9 390. 

Get a 970 but you need a good PSU 650w i'd say and make sure it's certified. I have a 650w psu and an i7 3770 and a gtx 970 and it works fine, if the pc is a pre-built pc you might need the gtx 970 itx instead of the normal one

Get a 970 but you need a good PSU 650w i'd say and make sure it's certified. I have a 650w psu and an i7 3770 and a gtx 970 and it works fine, if the pc is a pre-built pc you might need the gtx 970 itx instead of the normal one

a 970 can easily run on half decent 450w psu. 

I dont have a set price range, just depends on what the parts cost and how well theyre going to run. Im not sure what power supply I have now is either. I plan on playing more demanding games so something that could work even on medium settings Im happy with. But if I can get something that works universally with any settings I'd be willing to pay a little more probably.

I dont have a set price range, just depends on what the parts cost and how well theyre going to run. Im not sure what power supply I have now is either. I plan on playing more demanding games so something that could work even on medium settings Im happy with. But if I can get something that works universally with any settings I'd be willing to pay a little more probably.

Well, without knowing what power supply you have I can't make a decent suggestion. 

An R7 370/GTX 950 will be able to handle 1080p medium, an R9 380 will handle high (for now), and an R9 390 will handle high now and for a couple years. So it really comes down to your budget and whether or not you need a new psu. 

Well, without knowing what power supply you have I can't make a decent suggestion. 

An R7 370/GTX 950 will be able to handle 1080p medium, an R9 380 will handle high (for now), and an R9 390 will handle high now and for a couple years. So it really comes down to your budget and whether or not you need a new psu. 

Just  did a little research on my own PC. This is all pretty accurate http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03516324

That doesn't tell me anything about the PSU other than that it's going to be an OEM that HP uses, more than likely making it a piece of crap. So you'll want to replace that as well. 

With a PC as old as this one is at this point, do you think I'd be better of saving for a new custom built instead?

With a PC as old as this one is at this point, do you think I'd be better of saving for a new custom built instead?

Not entirely. The CPU, RAM, and hard drive you have are all adequate. Basically just get a new power supply, graphics card, and maybe a case.

a 3570 is still a highly capable cpu

So you're suggesting a R7 370 or a GTX 950? And I should just shop around for a power supply somewhere?

get an evga or like corsair 500w psu cos you can upgrade and stuff (also they r pretty cheap)

Not corsair, their lower end is junk.

EVGA's B1 series isn't drastically better than Corsair's CX series -- both of which are perfectly fine budget units; but they are still budget units that aren't designed to be pushed to the limits (but they're certainly not junk). That said there are often better choices for not a whole lot more. 

EVGA's B1 series isn't drastically better than Corsair's CX series -- both of which are perfectly fine budget units; but they are still budget units that aren't designed to be pushed to the limits (but they're certainly not junk). That said there are often better choices for not a whole lot more. 

Well they are noticably better. The Corsair CX series are tier 4 units, and so cheap with constant discounts and rebates that no one's going to want to RMA them if they go bad. While I still feel a bit uneasy recommending the EVGA bronzes, they are tier 3 so it should be fine as long as you don't stress them too much.

Well they are noticably better. The Corsair CX series are tier 4 units, and so cheap with constant discounts and rebates that no one's going to want to RMA them if they go bad. While I still feel a bit uneasy recommending the EVGA bronzes, they are tier 3 so it should be fine as long as you don't stress them too much.

Corsair can't not accept an RMA on one of their products so I don't understand what you're trying to imply with that first part. And I wouldn't just blindly follow some tier guide. Do some research and you'll find that EVGA's B1 and Corsair CX series are far closer than you think. 

Corsair can't not accept an RMA on one of their products so I don't understand what you're trying to imply with that first part. And I wouldn't just blindly follow some tier guide. Do some research and you'll find that EVGA's B1 and Corsair CX series are far closer than you think. 

The CX series actually did use to be tier 3, but with all the problems people have had with them in the past it got demoted to tier 4. What I meant by the RMA thing is that because the unit is so cheap, you might as well just buy another power supply than to have to bother with all the time and patience an RMA implies.

Edit: Forgot to mention CX series is only rated to 30 degrees celcius, while the EVGA is rated to 40 degrees like most power supplies.

Archived