Guide: Mobile Confirmation WITHOUT a phone!

BOOM!

basically copied and pasted from my reddit post.. 

---

Hello! For those of us that have the windows phone or not a smart phone this should be pretty helpful. Even if you don't want to be bothered to always have you phone on you while trading this should be good.

Step 1

Firstly your going to want to install BlueStacks. Basically this runs a small modified version of Android on your computer. It works for Mac and Windows. You can theoretically use any emulator you want, but I have personally found BlueStacks works the best. If you have found a better one let me know!

Step 2

Its fairly simple from here on. All you need to go is open up BlueStacks and sign in with google. You can use an account you already have or make a new one, it should not cause any conflicts. 

Step 3

After setting up your account navigate to the App Store and download the official Steam App. I did not get an error but if you do you may need to restart your computer to get all the necessary processes working. Once you have installed it open the steam app and sign in with steam. You may need to confirm a new device on your email. **NOTE: It did not give me a 7 day trading restriction for doing this, but I have noticed when registering a new device it sometimes does, so just be mindful about that.**

Step 4

Once you have got everything going all you need to do is go to Steam Guard settings, and enable mobile authentication AND go into your steam settings and enable it (YOU MUST DO BOTH). You may need to once again confirm the change in your email. **NOTE: It will give you a code which you will NEVER be able to access again. You MUST save this so if you ever need to deregister the device you can.** I wrote mine down and put it under my monitor. 

Additional Notes

You will still receive text messages from Steam on your actual phone if you had SMS verification enabled.

You should now be good to go!

I hope you enjoy this guide meant for people who didn't know about BlueStacks. 

Can confirm that this works, though you still need a working phone number to get the SMS (at least, I needed one). If you don't have one, you can try to find a free disposable phone number on the internet, though this might not be safe. Even though I used this method, I got a smartphone recently, so I'll swap to my smartphone just to be safe. 

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the Steam Desktop Authenticator does the same thing, but a lot faster and easier since Bluestacks eats a lot of RAM, so you probably wanna use that instead if you solely want to confirm trades and such. 

I've used Bluestacks for another program for a while now, I experimented this way when SMA first came out on an alt, but as Eagle said, it's better to just use SDA instead. Bluestacks is extremely laggy and takes a large chunk of your RAM, and while this does work, SDA is just a lot faster.

I actually didn't know about SDA. If I switch to that and unconfirm BlueStacks will I need to wait 7 days?

I've used Bluestacks for another program for a while now, I experimented this way when SMA first came out on an alt, but as Eagle said, it's better to just use SDA instead. Bluestacks is extremely laggy and takes a large chunk of your RAM, and while this does work, SDA is just a lot faster.

I actually didn't know about SDA. If I switch to that and unconfirm BlueStacks will I need to wait 7 days?

Not sure, I have my own phone so I've never even tried SDA, but I'd assume so, because SDA is supposed to act as a phone, which is its own advice. Although don't take my word for it

Archived