Valve Screwed Up

WhinyWeeb

Valve screws up with Steam from time to time, but this one is by far the one that has made me the most mad.

So I had used Steam Desktop Authenticator, because I don't have a mobile device capable of downloading it.

The seven day period was over yesterday, and I was good to trade. Except the fact that the Desktop Auth doesn't work and I couldn't sign in (it deleted the maFIle)to check my Trade Confirmations to accept the trade. So, I had to remove the Two Factor Auth, but that's making my trades get escrowed.

Honestly, I'm all for the idea of protecting your items, but this was the wrong way to go about it. Not everyone owns a mobile device capable of doing that, and the Desktop Auth is garbage that doesn't work.

EDIT: To add insult to injury, since I removed TFA, I can't trade for 7 days because it registered me as being signed in on a new device...

Well, think of it this way. Let's say instead of spending time dealing with the 77,000 account hijackings PER MONTH they spend more time on making content for games? Maybe in the grand scheme of things, this keeps more accounts safe and shifts energies to better purposes?

Well, think of it this way. Let's say instead of spending time dealing with the 77,000 account hijackings PER MONTH they spend more time on making content for games? Maybe in the grand scheme of things, this keeps more accounts safe and shifts energies to better purposes?

I disagree with that, how long has it taken them to implement a "scam proof" solution, how many years has it been since they tried to fix this? unless im mistaken nothing has been done the entire time. If it was as big an issue as they made out it wouldve been rectified quicker.

I disagree with that, how long has it taken them to implement a "scam proof" solution, how many years has it been since they tried to fix this? unless im mistaken nothing has been done the entire time. If it was as big an issue as they made out it wouldve been rectified quicker.

It was less than a year since email confirmation came out. so not that long at all

It was less than a year since email confirmation came out. so not that long at all

and did that help? evidently not, hence why i said "scam proof"

There is no such thing as "scam proof" when you have a human on the other side.  You can implement as many systems as you want, but it is ultimately up to the people behind the computer.  If people are not wise enough to not click on links from strangers than they need to take a basic computer security class.  That's the first thing I tell people when they ask me the best way to prevent viruses/scams and ect... when I work on their computers.  Other than that Valve can only do damage control and hope the community of 10 year-old kids can wise up.

There is no such thing as "scam proof" when you have a human on the other side.  You can implement as many systems as you want, but it is ultimately up to the people behind the computer.  If people are not wise enough to not click on links from strangers than they need to take a basic computer security class.  That's the first thing I tell people when they ask me the best way to prevent viruses/scams and ect... when I work on their computers.  Other than that Valve can only do damage control and hope the community of 10 year-old kids can wise up.

Ofcourse not, but why dont they understand this?

Ofcourse not, but why dont they understand this?

They do understand this, they even said that they know that scams and hijacks will always occur. They're just doing their best to minimize the most common forms of hijacks and scams.

To be honnest steam did a great job with this security feature.

And its a big change from regular trading way, but we know changes are always contested.
Indeed its a bit annoying for people who dont have phones, but at least your items are safe.

Seems like everyones for escrow apart from me then, Boo.

It's not just you. Total number of trade offers have dropped by more than 50%. It's unclear how many of those are related to scammers and how much of that is people frustrated with escrow and who don't have a mobile phone. I'm just trying to say that with big changes like this there are always positives and negatives. Over time, I think people will come to accept the 3 day wait or just get a mobile phone, which have pretty much become ubiquitous. 

The original escrow they had in mind made it seem a lot low worse than what it ended up being. Their original was 1 phone number = 1 account, auto trade escrow no matter authentication or not. That was the escrow which lead to a huge petition (which valve made the situation worse by forcing it to be deleted...). The end result was a pain, and a hassle, but a lot more moderate and something I can live with. 3 day wait on trading with nubs is a pain, just for a key or 2, but oh well. The original escrow would have killed: quicksells, cash trading (most likely), bots, bp.tf automatic and trade.tf included, oh and not to mention ALL OF CSGO BETTING EVER and opskins. (sites with worth way way way above tf2 outpost and bp.tf combined (sorry, its true) opskins handles millions of $ a day, CSGL runs a couple 100-1000 bots, and has betting values over the entire prize pool for some matches.

TLDR: could've been a lot worse, but still a pain in the ass.

let's be honest here valve spends their time making stupid ass skins for csgo

Ok. Thanks for rehashing what we already knew.

^

Maybe in the grand scheme of things, this keeps more accounts safe and shifts energies to better purposes?

hl3 hype

There will always be a loophole or an exploit. Just learn to deal with it.

Not everyone likes it, not everyone hates it. Otherwise, there wouldn't be another thread about the matter. At least it's better than we thought it would be.

TLDR: could've been a lot worse, but still a pain in the ass.

I personally don't mind the escrow update, but I don't think it was necessary either.

^These pretty much sum it up.

I don' think there are really many people who actually "like" trade holds, it's more like the majority of people understand why they did and think there's enough reason for it to make sense.  

Archived