Cancelling a trade on hold

gleo1942

So I was added by a player about an item I was selling for about 15 keys and this player didnt have the SMA so the trade got on the 72h hold, wich is not a problem for me. Close to the end of the 3 days, few hours before the trade was completed, said user cancels the trade and removes me from his list without any reason.

Since we had a deal, I consider this the same thing as running from a bet or spycrab or something.

What do you guys think? Is this an offense? If so, how big is it? Should I do something about it?

It isnt an offense to back out of a trade last minute its just considered a d*ck move.

Spycrabbing is both players risking X amount to make profit when a player runs away they are essentially removing the risk taken and hence unfair to the other player who did risk their items which is different.

This is not like a normal trade, its not like we talked about it and he said no and went on his way, or he sent me an offer that he canceled before I could see it. We had an agreement, both parties accepted the trade, expectations were made and the hold was a mere formality that wouldnt happen if we traded 2 weeks ago.

They changed their mind. There's no need for any punishment for them. Plus no site will punish for something like that. They already received 7 day trade ban for cancelling trade on hold. My advice is: get over it.

They changed their mind. There's no need for any punishment for them. Plus no site will punish for something like that. They already received 7 day trade ban for cancelling trade on hold. My advice is: get over it.

Its not about the items really, it was not a deal of a lifetime, its just... I mean... frustating. I couldve just said no to people with holds but I thought those guys needed some love, not many people would trade them as of now. But all faith on the SMAless is lost. 

I've had two people cancel held trades on me... which is like 25% of my trades that went on hold. ;p So, yes it's annoying. We all want to complete trades and some traders make it very difficult for us, and now partly thanks to Valve.

Its not about the items really, it was not a deal of a lifetime, its just... I mean... frustating. I couldve just said no to people with holds but I thought those guys needed some love, not many people would trade them as of now. But all faith on the SMAless is lost. 

he didn't scam or anything like that, there's nothing wrong. he just decided he either A. didn't want to trade anymore or B. wanted to fuck you over. something you will just have to live with with trade holds now.

Leave a -rep on his backpack.tf profile.  I was thinking that the second escrow was added bp.tf would make an escrow rep for people on their profile.  Where people could build negative and positive rep for trades involving escrow.  Since they didn't, I would just recommend using the current rep system and leave him a negative trust.

Actually I forgot to put this in website suggestions, I'm going to do that now.

It's the same thing as someone clicking the "cancel trade offer" button in the former confirmation emails after you both discuss the trade and make a deal

Leave a -rep on his backpack.tf profile.  I was thinking that the second escrow was added bp.tf would make an escrow rep for people on their profile.  Where people could build negative and positive rep for trades involving escrow.  Since they didn't, I would just recommend using the current rep system and leave him a negative trust.

Invalid reason for -rep.

Saying you will buy something isn't a signature on a legal document. A trader is not obliged to complete a trade they have previously agreed on. Sure it's morally wrong, but you're not going to get in trouble for backing out of a trade.

It's practically the same thing as agreeing to a trade while some items are currently untradable. If I offer 20 Keys for your Unusual but I have to wait 3 more days for them to become tradable, I can still change my mind about the offer before the keys become tradable. Same thing with escrow. If you accepted an offer of mine for 20 Keys and the trade is on hold, I could still change my mind about the deal and cancel the trade. The only punishment I'd receive is a week trade ban, but that's due to the nature of escrow, not the idea of backing out on a trade.

It's the same thing as someone clicking the "cancel trade offer" button in the former confirmation emails after you both discuss the trade and make a deal

Also an example of such an act of backing out. Escrow is not special.

Besides, it's not like you're getting scammed out of your items or anything. If you're so concerned about losing precious time, considering enabling SMA yourself or trading with only escrow-free traders. Spend your time wisely, not dangerously.

• 2 weeks later...

even in valve's opinion, canceling a trade is not ok - hence the 7 days cooldown.

i've got a few of those myself. my policy: always block the user after an escrow cancellation.

even in valve's opinion, canceling a trade is not ok - hence the 7 days cooldown.

That isn't the reason for the cooldown.

The whole reason for Escrow/Trade-Holds is so people without mobile authentication can cancel a trade after it is "completed". Basically it is made for this scenario: Someone has their account hijacked and the hijacker tries to trade all their items away. With mobile authent the hijacker won't be able to confirm the trade and without the authent the trade is held for three days, allowing the real owner of the account to block the item theft as well as prevent further attempts at item theft while the owner tries to regain complete control of their account.

The fact that it also punishes people who back out of legitimate trades is more of an "unintended" feature, or at least not stated as a feature.

Invalid reason for -rep.

It's practically the same thing as agreeing to a trade while some items are currently untradable. If I offer 20 Keys for your Unusual but I have to wait 3 more days for them to become tradable, I can still change my mind about the offer before the keys become tradable

It's not the same thing as if you had an agreement with someone whoos keys are untradable, because you actually loosing your items for up to three days. You removing your item from trade sites, you can't receive any other offers.  And that matter.

Still a -rep on bp.tf is too much. Something like -rep which is automatically deleted after a month would be a great solution

That isn't the reason for the cooldown.

The whole reason for Escrow/Trade-Holds is so people without mobile authentication can cancel a trade after it is "completed". Basically it is made for this scenario: Someone has their account hijacked and the hijacker tries to trade all their items away. With mobile authent the hijacker won't be able to confirm the trade and without the authent the trade is held for three days, allowing the real owner of the account to block the item theft as well as prevent further attempts at item theft while the owner tries to regain complete control of their account.

The fact that it also punishes people who back out of legitimate trades is more of an "unintended" feature, or at least not stated as a feature.

Yep. Looks to me more like the 7 day trade hold was intended more towards people to recover their account, cancel the unauthorized trade offers that are pending and disable the account from sending any trades for 7 days while the owner sorts out his PC / account, etc. It's like another fail safe system for users who fail to secure their account after recovering it.

I believe the stance now is that those will not be valid unless there is proof of the agreement not to cancel the trade on hold. 

I personally didn't mind the previous stance of deleting the trust ratings after a month if no other ratings like it occurred, but I can understand not wanting something like this to be in trust ratings. In the end nothing risky is going on and someone might actually end up using the cancellations for it's intended use.

Archived