What Could Valve Add to Reduce the Amount of Ref

Supervise

I keep hearing that in order to save the price of ref Valve would need to add a ref pit, or something desirable that people could get by deleting or crafting away their ref. The best idea I have heard so far is to make MvM tickets craftable, but I'm sure even that would have some problems. So what I would like to know is what do you people think Valve could add as the aforementioned ref pit?

Craftable crates on the updates.

Sets of craftable hat crates, like bread box, from each update.

Neither would cost Valve severely and both will eat up ref.

Sounds like a good idea for me. It looks like Valve wants us to buy coins in order to get crates now, though.

Why would they? Ref is at a nice place where its still got value but keys are the preferred and nkt low enough that people dont care about it.

Implementation of any ref sink means valve would be losing alot of money for absolutely no positives for valve

Honestly, especially after the comments they made about trading in general and the decision to move to the escrow system, I really don't think they care at all about refined or it's future. The only use of refined since the beginning of trading was as a small time currency to use to fit into the limited trade windows and to craft hats. Crafting hats is pretty much a dead system, as the economy is so bloated with so many different kinds and amounts. Most people don't care to craft unless it's for craft numbers, so saving refined isn't even something that's necessary. As the Valve comments state, the move is towards drops with things like the coins, using the SCM, and Valve Store. 

All in all, don't expect them to do much to "save ref" any time soon, if ever. 

what's your point exactly ? it's like you saying ref has negative impact for the economy !!!

Why would they? Ref is at a nice place where its still got value but keys are the preferred and nkt low enough that people dont care about it.

Implementation of any ref sink means valve would be losing alot of money for absolutely no positives for valve

Well, people are always complaining about how the price of ref is dying (which sort of it is). I'm not exactly sure what point they are trying to make when they say that, but they seem to think that it is part of the "dying" TF2 economy. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for there to be a ref sink so the amount of ref doesn't just keep growing and keys don't continue going up. Maybe I'm wrong along with all of the people I have been hearing this kind of stuff from though Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One day you'll log in and valve will have deleted everyone's scrap metal. You'll get an ugly non-tradable achievement cosmetic called Metal Sink, which counts how much ref you had before it got wiped. 

One day you'll log in and valve will have deleted everyone's scrap metal. You'll get an ugly non-tradable achievement cosmetic called Metal Sink, which counts how much ref you had before it got wiped. 

prolly kek

Well, people are always complaining about how the price of ref is dying (which sort of it is). I'm not exactly sure what point they are trying to make when they say that, but they seem to think that it is part of the "dying" TF2 economy. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for there to be a ref sink so the amount of ref doesn't just keep growing and keys don't continue going up. Maybe I'm wrong along with all of the people I have been hearing this kind of stuff from though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No you are correct however this is how the system works everything is demand/supply except for fhe fixed value of keys (2.5usd/key) hence everything moves relative to the price of keys. Ref is dying because there is too much supply you play you get so you have too many metal chasing a few keys which drives its price up.

The price of refs is not a measure of the economy at all since it has no real holding on the economy. Valve implementing a ref sink (hence decreasng supply with constant demand) to try increase the price of ref has no benefits to valve if anything hurts their economy since people will dump keys for [free] metal.

The only people who dont like metal being low are mainly those who do not contribute to the economy and want to 'make free money'

They can do something similar to what they did with the Golden Wrench in the Engineer Update. Have a motive to get players to get rid of their ref.

This topic is always brought up every time keys have big shifts in price.  Personally I don't care much what price the keys are at since luckily their USD value doesn't change too much.  Because of that, the key prices cause some chaos with craft hats and items priced in ref, but luckily it is not an economy breaking thing.  Valve probably won't do anything about it ever, but I personally don't mind.  I just hope they get their wits about them and do something about removing / dampening escrow.

Why would anyone want to craft crates if youre not going to open them. This would just keep the Ref - Key ratio the same, maybe a little better, but the same.

I find no reason to get rid of Ref <3 Ref is the best thing a  person could have.... its not like im addicted... uhmm... ADD MORE INVENTORY SLOTS VOLVO .-.

Archived