Escrow petition

Space~

wasn't there already one of these petitions?  and didn't valve shoot it down :?

Yes, there was one. This is a recreated one of the old. The biggest problem is that Valve just ignores the trading community. They don't care about these petitions, they just care about the money the make now with the SCM.

Yes, there was one. This is a recreated one of the old. The biggest problem is that Valve just ignores the trading community. They don't care about these petitions, they just care about the money the make now with the SCM.

A company that actually wants to make more money. What a shock! Next you'll tell me Nintendo totally cares about you, and how MTV should be playing music! They should buy up all the buds, and jack up the price again!

Zero chance this makes a difference. Petitions don't do shit, never have, never will. Especially going up against a multimillion dollar corporation that is dealing with millions of users and trying to keep a profit margin. 30k signatures is a drop of water in a large ocean. 

They've already made their decision, if the cost benefit of fixing users getting scammed/users defrauding the company is > than time spent dealing with users that were scammed, then they are going to choose the path of least resistance every time. 

Really in a very blunt way, Steam doesn't care about you. They care about you only in as much that you're content with their services to buy things to make them profitable. That's it, that's all.  The sooner you all understand that, the sooner you can stop wasting your life complaining about it. 

kbOeCFv.png

Its either trade holds (stop saying escrow goddammit it has a name now..) or remove trading completely and make people use the SCM only.

People are doing petitions and demand things like they think they have a choice or something. They will get used to this, you can either get geel's desktop program (at least owning a regular phone) or own a smartphone.

They even said, its not longer kids or new people that are affected.

DURtMbM.png

The cutest thing is that some of you people still believe they implemented the trade hold thing because of the scammers/ hackers.

Seriously, agreeing with Budi here, the company doesn't care about us. Last summer they announced that scammed/ sharked items won't be remade anymore and a copy will no longer be given to people who lost those items. Reasoning was that the market was getting "flooded with duped items". My ass. They were just annoyed, and saw the possibility to not have to make any effort anymore.

Same goes for Escrow. Yea, there are lots of scammers, and hackers. But Valve does not give a fuck about those, the ones they steal from or their reputation. They have a monopole. They extended the steam community market (for tf2 items at least) over the last month to be able to become a platform for stranges and promos, even for genuines and vintages. Then they implemented the E-mail verification step to make normal trading more annoying. They gave the ability to turn that off, though, why? I dont know.

Escrow is just the next step to make trading even more annoying. People get pissed about all those verification steps, and go to the easier option, the SCM. Noone cares about the safety of your virtual hats, and by God, 90% of people I know who got scammed/ hacked were just oblivious idiots, and if you are in this and don't know your shit, you do not deserve any better. And then trade holds won't save you either.

Dealing with kids (which make a disturbingly high amount of the trading community) is a pest, because their poor little heads dont quite work 80% of the time, making them change their decisions completely irrationally, which since trade holds were introduced leads to trades being cancelled they agreed on just an hour ago. No trader wants that, it is a huge waste of time and a risk factor. So yea, they did it. Boohoo.

-snip-

-snip

Good posts. 

Another thing not mentioned yet is the fact that out of the entire steam customer base, there is only a very small percentage that actually trades and cares about (or is even aware of) this trade hold thing.   Most people just buy games.  Yet, I'm sure that out of all the tickets that are issued to steam support, a disproportionate number comes from people complaining about their scammed items.  As a company, that is a problem you need to fix.  There is one very small part of your customer base who is causing you a very big headache.  The key word here is 'small'.  Number one, escrow only negatively affects a very small part of steam customers.  So there's really no loss here on Valve's part in terms of bad publicity because most people won't actually give a shit.  Second, if this part of the steam community decides to boycott Valve and no longer uses steam (as if that will ever happen, you need a viable alternative first), it's not a large amount of business lost.  We're talking about people who can't afford a phone here.  You think they're buying the latest games and/or are spending money on SCM?  Hell no.  So as far as Valve's concerned, if they leave, good riddance.  

And if you really still think it's so evil and inconsiderate of Valve to do this, go read these forums.  Specifically look for threads that are titled "HALP!! Sum1 scemm me, I ned my items beck".  There are lots of those and they always - without fail - make you lose just a bit more faith in our youth, because you're left wondering how somebody can be that gullible, considering that a simple google search would have informed them in depth of all the different scamming techniques.  And now imagine you're Valve and you have to deal with literally thousands of those each day.  Thousands of poorly written support tickets, missing major pieces of information, that most often come down to the same thing:  You f***ed up, and now you're looking for someone to fix it.  I for one do not have any trouble understanding why they did this.  

And here's the other thing, why do you care so much?  At this point, do you really prefer trading over the SCM?  Do you enjoy doing 10 minute background checks?  Do you enjoy having lengthy (and often fruitless) negotiations with people who probably can't dress themselves?  How about finding an item that you really want only to realize that it's owned by someone who stole $5 worth of items 3 years ago, got marked, and now you can't trade with them because it's against some 3rd party's rules that you never agreed to follow in the first place?   At this point, trading has become so painful (and mostly due to the community, not Valve) that I'd gladly switch to the SCM.  

Good posts. 

Another thing not mentioned yet is the fact that out of the entire steam customer base, there is only a very small percentage that actually trades and cares about (or is even aware of) this trade hold thing.   Most people just buy games.  Yet, I'm sure that out of all the tickets that are issued to steam support, a disproportionate number comes from people complaining about their scammed items.  As a company, that is a problem you need to fix.  There is one very small part of your customer base who is causing you a very big headache.  The key word here is 'small'.  Number one, escrow only negatively affects a very small part of steam customers.  So there's really no loss here on Valve's part in terms of bad publicity because most people won't actually give a shit.  Second, if this part of the steam community decides to boycott Valve and no longer uses steam (as if that will ever happen, you need a viable alternative first), it's not a large amount of business lost.  We're talking about people who can't afford a phone here.  You think they're buying the latest games and/or are spending money on SCM?  Hell no.  So as far as Valve's concerned, if they leave, good riddance.  

And if you really still think it's so evil and inconsiderate of Valve to do this, go read these forums.  Specifically look for threads that are titled "HALP!! Sum1 scemm me, I ned my items beck".  There are lots of those and they always - without fail - make you lose just a bit more faith in our youth, because you're left wondering how somebody can be that gullible, considering that a simple google search would have informed them in depth of all the different scamming techniques.  And now imagine you're Valve and you have to deal with literally thousands of those each day.  Thousands of poorly written support tickets, missing major pieces of information, that most often come down to the same thing:  You f***ed up, and now you're looking for someone to fix it.  I for one do not have any trouble understanding why they did this.  

And here's the other thing, why do you care so much?  At this point, do you really prefer trading over the SCM?  Do you enjoy doing 10 minute background checks?  Do you enjoy having lengthy (and often fruitless) negotiations with people who probably can't dress themselves?  How about finding an item that you really want only to realize that it's owned by someone who stole $5 worth of items 3 years ago, got marked, and now you can't trade with them because it's against some 3rd party's rules that you never agreed to follow in the first place?   At this point, trading has become so painful (and mostly due to the community, not Valve) that I'd gladly switch to the SCM.  

This is all anyone needs to read. End of story. 

GracefulSizzlingDungenesscrab.gif

They have a monopole.

That's actually (a lot) more worrisome than all the rest of what you said. I thought those didn't exist, but if Valve has one, we could be in serious trouble

Archived