SteamRep gets mad at their mods for handling reports

Fenrir

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/3wmhve/steamrep_gets_mad_at_their_mods_for_handling/

Um, lol?

This is everything that is wrong with SteamRep. An admin just got mad at a mod for actually helping someone. Oh no! He did the one thing that SteamRep swore never to do: help someone! Honestly, with the giant backlog they have, this is the exact reason why everyone thinks SteamRep is run by incompetent people. Like honestly, use your head.

Eggnog the reason they don't want that is the admins don't want their general discussion on their forums to be filled with "PLZ LOOK AT MY REPORT PLZ"

It's like those posts that call out steamrep for being a bad website on this site.

Oh wait.

EDIT: wording

Eggnog the reason they don't want that is the admins don't want their general discussion on their forums would be filled with "PLZ LOOK AT MY REPORT PLZ"

It's like those posts that call out steamrep for being a bad website on this site.

Oh wait.

"Oh hey buddy, I'm just gonna help you out this is an easy fix and it was our fault to begin with" WTF R U INSANE

"So... 1 per person? That could leave us with several thousand "review my report NOW" posts in general discussion. This is not what the general discussion board is for."

-steamrep admin (Lava)

or they could just work on dealing with the backlog (of several thousand :v) , I feel like there are a ton of reports that could easily be handled quickly (like the one mentioned in the thread)

It's an interesting call. The admins who "got mad" had taken a pretty logical stance; it's a rule, and it's not something to just ignore. But at the same time, they're worried that one exception being made will make everyone think they can just break that rule, when they have far bigger problems on their hands currently.

Also, props to Gentleman. I think he made the best decision there - the quickest way to sort everything out would just be to resolve the report.

I don't necessarily want to call the two admins involved mad or anything, but they certainly did react poorly to the situation.

The mod saw that perhaps it was in the wrong forum but why make him go through the trouble of remaking it correctly instead of just answering his question then

there are rules for a reason. one of his rules from what I can tell general discussions is not the place to handle things. he acknowledged that so he knew that what he did was wrong and he apologized for it. why are you trying to make a big deal out of this?

i don't see a problem here, are you criticizing that admin because he was enforcing the rules?

there are rules for a reason. one of his rules from what I can tell general discussions is not the place to handle things. he acknowledged that so he knew that what he did was wrong and he apologized for it. why are you trying to make a big deal out of this?

i don't see a problem here, are you criticizing that admin because he was enforcing the rules?

Im criticizing the admin because the guy just quickly handled the report, since it was an easy open shut case and the admins blew up on him

Im criticizing the admin because the guy just quickly handled the report, since it was an easy open shut case and the admins blew up on him

The general section is NOT a place to post to have cases expedited upon request. Please dont do so again.

Its simply going to stop, we have no assigned head reports admin that otherwise I would take the issue up with, until then, I am disallowing it. 

For cases of report abusers, (and its enough of a legitimate concern that we see, and why I'm specifically mentioning it) they can use the post report system that is checked by the majority of the staff on a daily (hourly) basis.

wow he really just exploded everywhere.. telling him what he did wrong and why it's wrong and stuff.. absolutely unbelievable.

Rules are there for a reason if one exception was made then others might decide to spam in the wrong places in the hopes it will be resolved.

Whilst I can understand the mod getting mad him resolving the thread he didnt exactly handle the situation well a simple PM and/or adding on the thread along the lines of "Please note as this was a simple close case it has been resolved however in the future make sure to report at XXX" rather than calling the admin out of their decision and putting them on blast.

There are a multitude of ways to better handle a situation like that and he decided to his fellow admin on blast :S

I don't necessarily want to call the two admins involved mad or anything, but they certainly did react poorly to the situation.

I feel like "You are the one" just escalated the thread for no reason at all a simple PM giving gentleman would have sufficed or at the very least word it better...

It may have been a bit poorly formulated but I agree with the admins stance here.

If you make a forums post !111!1LOOK AT MY REPORTZ NAOW!1!!1! on here it would be nothing but annoying. Wait in line like everybody else. If mods/admins don't follow this then the end of posts like this is never coming.

Of course, sr is severely understaffed but they're not stupid, they know this. It's just rather hard to find willing and suitable admins

I feel like "You are the one" just escalated the thread for no reason at all a simple PM giving gentleman would have sufficed or at the very least word it better...

D'accord.

I remember the old SourceOP reputation threads. Once, unexpectedly, Butane went on a full-blown purge of those (but was then ordered to restore them) while bragging about the inability of all of those threads' posters to save them. I've witnessed that person's unprofessional attitude destroy the reputations of two websites. It wasn't, in any way, necessary to publicly reprimand Gentleman (unless if showing everyone your supreme authority counts as a necessary objective). That is more likely to deter more of their potential moderators from joining.

Of course, sr is severely understaffed but they're not stupid, they know this. It's just rather hard to find willing and suitable admins

Just going to disagree with the "not stupid" part. :P If you made a mistake here right now and BPB posted under you to correct and/or shame you here... Actually, I can't even imagine him doing that.

Clearly they have some problems with communication among staff... 

And then you wonder why they're backlogged. They don't help each other out. It's the blind leading the blind.

And then you wonder why they're backlogged. They don't help each other out. It's the blind leading the blind.

The backlog isn't really an issue. They are no longer a site designed to mark people. That has been delegated to the trading communities. Their role is primarily one of education and leadership. But you can't set by example when there are communication issues among staff. 

The only issue with the backlog is that sometimes I find some mods banning people for pending reports even though I stress that that is not a valid reason to ban someone. 

what bothers me about them is that they dont let the public know theyre backlogged to all shit and wont do anything about your report

instead of having a banner at the top like "send all reports to our partner communities" or something, they only tell you theyre backlogged when people ask them, or they just make excuses instead

To be fair, it looks like the OP of the thread on SR didn't really understand how the SR system works. It wasn't someone spamming dozens of threads demanding their report be looked at. IMO a simple PM to the mod and the user saying "hey don't do this again" would have been more than sufficient, and then archive/delete the thread. 

This was simply just an error in communication. I think they could've just told the mod not to do it again privately instead of admonishing him publicly, and also informed the user how the SR system works. Certainly doesn't help SR's image though.

SR's image is shot at this point, regardless of the situation, that was some bad press towards the organization. That being said, SR refuses to solve the actual issue of how to reduce the immense backlog of reports they possess. Until this happens their image is only going to get worse and worse until people stop taking them seriously. If only a few of the large communities stop honoring SR, the whole system could collapse.

Archived