Potential US visa changes

Buy my mixtape fam

So, I'm not going to post my opinion on this yet because I've never been one to understand international traveling laws, or even how a visa works for that matter, but I'd like to hear your guys'. 

Recently, the White House and Obama himself have been supporting a bill that is being voted on in Congress Monday that could impose heavy restrictions on Iranian/Iraqi-Americans looking to travel into Europe. If passed, the bill will essentially force them to apply for and acquire a visa before traveling to Europe. The part that's odd is that these restrictions are only imposed on Iranian/Iraqi-Americans-not any Syrians or Saudis. Interesting.

As an Iranian-American (my mom was born in America, dad in Iran, moved here before 18, acquired full citizenship before he had any children/married) I find this a bit too restricting, personally. We love to travel to the UK and Belgium, and this would make it so much harder for all of us. I also find it weird how we still get affected, despite my dad being a citizen for nearly 35 years at this point, before marrying or kids. meh

Wondering what your thoughts/opinions are on this

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/obama-visa-waiver-changes-backlash-215875

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35064719

would definitely damage the tourism industry there (to what degree?  I dunno).  definitely a bad idea, would make the US look bad and people will probably rage against it as being racist

But... why? I mean, this would be for Americans of Iraqi/Iranian descent right? Who already have an American passport and everything.

Also, why the hell does the US get to decide who needs a visum to get into European countries? Since when do they decide who we let into our borders? (And besides that, I find it very weird that I can't get into the US without a visum but US citizens can just get into the Netherlands without any need for a visum).

This change seems stupid, racist and absolutely fucking unnecessary. So it would fit right into today's politics

• Administrators

Read the links. It's about restricting the visa waiver program to make it easier to refuse people from participating countries who are of middle-eastern descent, are joint citizens, have traveled to "terrorist hotspots" recently, etc, from coming to America. It's not about visas, it's specifically about a program that allows free movement without a visa between particular countries for a maximum of 90 days. The concern about iranian-americans, etc, not being able to then freely visit europe without a visa, is a secondary effect, not the point of the restriction.

There's a list of the countries that are participants here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program

And... well, yeah. This could potentially affect me personally a great deal. I have an actual visa to the US so I should be without issue myself, but many of my iranian-british, and iranian-american (as well as other eu countries) family travel on the visa waiver program when we visit each other. :/

(And besides that, I find it very weird that I can't get into the US without a visum but US citizens can just get into the Netherlands without any need for a visum).

You can get into the US without a visa at present - you apply for an ESTA (visa waiver) and it takes 2 minutes. My sister did it at the airport on her phone recently when she forgot to do it beforehand, lol.

How can the US restrict travel into Europe, exactly?

Well from what Teeny explained, to prevent those of Middle Eastern descent traveling to Terrorist hotspots in the EU, the US can easily regulate who goes in and out by just saying "nah, you need a visa, regardless of who you are". Although I might be wrong on that.

-snip-

Yeah, that's the stupid part. I've had an American passport my whole life, so I don't understand how those of descent are also linked under the new law as well. I agree that it's racist as well, but it seems too late to stop at this point. Especially considering the minimal news coverage its garnered.

-snip-

Wow :\. Well, thanks for clearing it up.

This is not a big deal if you put it into perspective. Most central and south american countries need a visa, since they are not part of the visa waiver program, but is that racism? No.

Countries have to follow some rules to get the special benefit of visa waiver, but with recent events the US is just trying to protect itself and it's people.

the US can easily regulate who goes in and out by just saying "nah, you need a visa, regardless of who you are". Although I might be wrong on that.

Like I mentioned above, there are countless people in central and south america that get visa's denied, and even when having visa's they get denied at the airport, but it's never been considered racist.

Like I mentioned above, there are countless people in central and south america that get visa's denied, and even when having visa's they get denied at the airport, but it's never been considered racist.

i 99% guarantee you that it is and has been considered to be a racist policy

How is that not racist?

It's very different when your denied entry based off some random made up excuse compared to a bill which excludes a specific ethnic group from the waiver program... It's practically the definition of rascism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_passport

"Sixteen countries forbid admission to Israeli passport holders:

Algeria[8]

Bangladesh[9]

Brunei[10]

Indonesia[11]

Iran[12][13]

Iraq (except Iraqi Kurdistan)[14]

Kuwait[15]

Lebanon[16] (neighboring country; territory dispute - Shebaa farms)

Libya[17]

Malaysia (Clearance permit needed from the Ministry of Home Affairs.)[18]

Oman[19]

Pakistan (Clearance permit needed from the Ministry of Internal Security.)[20]

Saudi Arabia[21][22]

Sudan[23]

Syria[24] (neighboring country; territory dispute - Golan Heights)

United Arab Emirates (accepted for transit only; not allowed for admission)[25]

Yemen[26][27]

In addition, Iran,[28] Kuwait,[29] Lebanon,[30] Libya,[31] Saudi Arabia,[32] Sudan,[33] Syria[34] and Yemen[35] do not allow entry to people with evidence of travel to Israel, or whose passports have either a used or an unused Israeli visa. As a consequence, many countries will allow for a second passport to be issued to citizens wishing to circumvent this restriction."

Archived