What is Valve doing with all the profits?

#NewWizard

They make ridicolous amounts of money every day. Yet they seem very cheap like with dota 2 compendium only 25% go to the prize money... What is Gabe trying to accomplish? He makes billions but can't even create a decent support. I understand that all businesses are about money BUT valve is not a public company and Gabe is already way past the "fuck you money" point. Why aren't they putting more money back in to make steam a better place and make more Valve games. And listen more to community than thinking solely about profit like with the recent cs go update. 

Why doesn't my University give more to the students that are paying $18k-30k a year

Because they like money and don't give a shit. 

Welcome to America, where one person in the upper class has more money than all of the middle class and lower class combined.

-snip-. Why aren't they putting more money back in to make steam a better place and make more Valve games. And listen more to community than thinking solely about profit like with the recent cs go update. 

because they don't have to, and they will still make fat stacks.  what do they do with their fat stacks?  get paid well probably

They still make games, and they do it in their own time, it's not like they haven't released a game in decades, dota2 came out over 2 years ago, and cs go like 3 years ago, and guess what both of them are the 1st and 2nd most played game on their platform. How fast do you want them to make these games? You want them to become like Assassins creed Unity? a complete mess of a game that failed to meet their deadline and was completely rushed?

Also i see no reason why they should even make half life 3 anymore. I absolutely loved 1 and especially 2, but half life 3 has been hyped for such a high magnitude that i really don't see how people will actually be satisfied when it will be released due to the amount of hype it build up over the years. They are focusing on multiplayer games, and look how well it did for them. 

I already came to terms long ago that half life 3 won't ever be released, it has to be at minimum the best game ever made in the last decades just so it can match the expectation that people have for it.

If they release half life 3 and it wont be good, valve will be then known as the company who fucked up one of the best game franchises.

Their main success are now in microtransactions and multiplayer games, with plans on making a new steam console, and it won't change anytime soon.

Because everyone will still throw money at them regardless so what incentive/reason would they have to spent money and effort if it doesnt make a difference?

-Constantly updating CS:GO, TF2 and Dota

-Maintaining servers for the aforementioned games

-Constantly maintaining Steam

-Maintaining servers for the aforementioned Steam

-Paying employees a living wage

-Working 24/7 with dozens of developers, publishers and independent game makers to bring new games to steam

-Updating and maintaining a mobile app

-Creating new events for the winter and summer sales yearly

-Working on steamOS and the steam machines

-Probably dozens of non-public projects and collabs

Yup, Valve is just sitting around rolling in money and doing nothing.

Look, I get it. Valve is not the pinnacle of companies, and yeah, Steam and almost every Valve game has problems. And yeah, the CS is slow and could definitely be improved, but to be fair it's sort of expected for a company that works in such a vast scope with often very technical products. They found a system that works in micros, and run one of the largest video game store fronts. It really makes sense to put more focus on streamlining Steam than creating new games, which at this point will almost inevitably flop due to hype, as Affirmitive said.  

They still make games, and they do it in their own time, it's not like they haven't released a game in decades, dota2 came out over 2 years ago, and cs go like 3 years ago, and guess what both of them are the 1st and 2nd most played game on their platform.

LoL is more played than both of those games by far.

In 2004, Wolpaw was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Expecting his condition to require a departure from the company, he spoke with managing director Gabe Newell, who surprised him by offering an extended leave with pay. "Your job is to get better," Newell said. "That is your job description at Valve. So go home to your wife and come back when you are better."[8]

Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Wolpaw

Whata a dick gaben. 

oh and wait 

"For example, we don’t track vacation time or sick time – we just tell people we trust you to make all of these other decisions, of course we are going to trust you to manage your own time. "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2014/01/03/gabe-newell-on-what-makes-valve-tick/

Im not done

"One of the things we do that helps buffer that is we take all of the families on a trip each year, and it gives everybody a chance to connect with other people at the company and feel a part of it, and yell at me, and that's coming up pretty soon."I'm sure I'll have lots of opportunities to talk to people with their families to get a better handle on how that's working. Those really are the things that we worry about."

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/1408/article/gabe-newell-expresses-concern-for-game-developers-long-work-hours/

They are a business, not a charity.

What the hell? Did it looked like I asked for some fucking charity? Are you fucking retarded? Asking for better support and fixing problems to improve relationship with PAYING costumers is more than reasonable. 

What the hell? Did it looked like I asked for some fucking charity? Are you fucking retarded? Asking for better support and fixing problems to improve relationship with PAYING costumers is more than reasonable.

If they didn't waste their time on people getting hijacked all the time then they would have the support to help people in need. Not just people losing their pixels because they are not careful.then they add something to try to lower hijackings and everyone flips out at them.

and what the living fuck are you doing calling others retarded for stating what is and what it isnt? id like to see your ass out there dealing with thousands of reports, most of them fake cases of hijacks. 

deal with it, thats how it is and their support has gotten much better tbh. takes less than a day for them to respond now for me. 

and what the living fuck are you doing calling others retarded for stating what is and what it isnt? id like to see your ass out there dealing with thousands of reports, most of them fake cases of hijacks. 

deal with it, thats how it is and their support has gotten much better tbh. takes less than a day for them to respond now for me. 

You do realize it is very easy to improve support?

You do realize it is very easy to improve support?

And I hope you do realize bitching about it on the forums and insulting others isn't really helping right? Yeah, fuck you. 

Archived