Is World Hunger really a "problem"?

Python.

This is kind of a debatable topic, and I believe to have the most unpopular opinion on it, but here goes

I think there are several bigger issues than world hunger, especially in places like China and Africa

Places where people reproduce like rabbits then die because they can't afford to live without donations

Donations should go towards cancer research, the army and the govt. (honestly not great examples but all I could think of) before it's used to help support overpopulation

Honestly, 80% of the world shouldn't be here, its mostly China, India and most of Asia and really they are just sucking up resources and polluting the atmosphere for no reason.

Honestly, 80% of the world shouldn't be here, its mostly China, India and most of Asia and really they are just sucking up resources and polluting the atmosphere for no reason.

"For no reason"

So when we pollute the atmosphere and use resources I guess that's okay?

(note: a lot of simplification, in this post)

from a certain perspective (a very macro-scale perspective which doesn't look at morality & stuff, but people as population) - world hunger is a "problem", it's an ecological balance.

more people -> less food -> less people -> more food -> more people

symelar things can be seen when one looks at populations of predator & pray

more foxes -> less bunnies -> less foxes -> more bunnies -> more foxes

(with an obvious sidenote that the weakest suffer most - be it the weaker predators, or the poorer countries)

"real problems" (again, from this perspective), are things that break balance. For example

more polution -> global warning -> flooding/hurricances/... -> people have trouble -> cheaper over better solutions -> more polution

but cancer reseracdh isn't one of them: cancer can either be seen as our predator (provides natural balance), or natural cause of death (in a sense, because we don't die of anything else anymore)

environment is our biggest issue, if the environment goes to hell in several (few?) decades, growing enough food will not be the most urgent of issues

Honestly. I just think there needs to be more birth control, planned parenting, and number of children restrictions. I think that would help a lot in terms of overpopulation.

I think World Hunger & Global Warming could be addressed better since without the pressure of so many people to feed we can start to take the right precautions to stabilize our planet so we don't go Kaboom!

I believe the problem to be overpopulation in the areas where hunger is a serious issue. I believe it's almost always the case, but there can be exceptions.

More people means you need more resources to support the population, and with more people, the resources decline faster and faster.

environment is our biggest issue

Honestly. I just think there needs to be more birth control, planned parenting, and number of children restrictions. I think that would help a lot in terms of overpopulation.

I also agree with these. Restrictions in certain areas could definitely help a population balance out. So instead of each family consisting of, I don't know, 7 kids in India (idk if this is the case), they could cap it at maybe 3-4. I'm not so sure, but I believe it's done somewhere in South America already.

I believe the problem to be overpopulation in the areas where hunger is a serious issue. I believe it's almost always the case, but there can be exceptions.

More people means you need more resources to support the population, and with more people, the resources decline faster and faster.

I also agree with these. Restrictions in certain areas could definitely help a population balance out. So instead of each family consisting of, I don't know, 7 kids in India (idk if this is the case), they could cap it at maybe 3-4. I'm not so sure, but I believe it's done somewhere in South America already.

Lol it isn't. Maybe a long ass time ago. (Evidence: I go there all the time, #Grandparents). Typically from what I've seen people have 1-3 children, due to the large amount of poverty and just bad side of India, they tend to be smart and realize they can't afford to feed their children.

Unlike cough cough. The people in the states that have 12 and then teach them not so good things >.> and take aid to help pay for the bajillion diapers they need.

Kappaface

Donations should go towards cancer research, the army and the govt. (honestly not great examples but all I could think of) before it's used to help support overpopulation

I'd don't see why you would prefer to spend money on the military really, we already (The United States, I'm assuming you're from the U.S.) spends almost 600 billion on military expenses as is. That's about where a bit over 50% of where our taxes are headed I believe. I think increasing Military expenditures is rather pointless, if you really wanted to do something about the military, there probs should be an audit on how the money is spent.... We spend about 3 times more than the nation with the 2nd biggest expenditure. Why should we pump more money into the military? :\

World Hunger is a problem, but overpopulation is as well. I think we have the capacity to resolve both through modernization and technology.

I wouldn't say that limiting the birthrate would necessarily help, but it's a general trend that as countries become more modernized and adopt a higher standard of living, the death rate declines first, then the birth rate second. Generally poorer/third-world countries are going to have more kids because so many kids die in childhood.

To be honest I always thought of it like this: if you have a below average life it means you accepted it and refused to move to a richer country

I know this is asshole-ish but that's JUST MY OPINION  :)

(might be just my usedness to being on the road on foot a lot)

Imo world hunger is an issue but it pales in comparison to the many others for example the up coming peak oil (i.e. we run out of crude oil) 

polluting the atmosphere for no reason.

You really need to look up the history of China where back a few decades ago they were a weak communist nation which where horribly behind the rest of the world and they essentially got pushed around and bullied (Most notably Japan google the rape of nanking) which forced the nation to realise how behind they were. They needed to "catch up" to the rest of the world and hence deemed technological advancements and developing the nation the "only" priority i.e. they didnt have the luxury to care about the environment. It worked and in a few decades they are now a world power and arguably on par to America.

Rape of nanking TL;DR China the then weak nation lost the then capital Nanking and was subjugated to 2 months of rape and massacre from the Japanese troops. Records were destroyed at to his day Japan still doesn't recognise the occurrence and has yet to officially apologise.

Rape of nanking TL;DR China the then weak nation lost the then capital Nanking and was subjugated to 2 months of rape and massacre from the Japanese troops. Records were destroyed at to his day Japan still doesn't recognise the occurrence and has yet to officially apologise.

I don't think Japan has apologised for a single one of the war crimes they committed during WW2.

I don't think Japan has apologised for a single one of the war crimes they committed during WW2.

I'm fairly certain they are trying to sweep everything under the rug.

One of my Japanese friends who was an exchange student didnt understand why some people he met "hated" Japanese people and I needed to explain to him some of the atrocities Japan committed...etc he was actually quite shocked to learn about it and realised why many people tend to dislike Japan now :S

-snip-

They fine you for having too many kids in China last time I checked/heard

gotta say a lot of these issues are interconnected (solving one could go towards solving another).  ah but where to start

yes because the world does produce enough food to feed everyone, i don't believe we are currently overpopulated globally, or if we are, i don't believe that the answer lies in forcing the most impoverished people to have the most severely restricted family options (you inhumane fucks)

seriously you'd all rather impose one-child policies or whatever than suggest any fucking effort to improve the massive imbalances of wealth and resources; as well as the systems which continuallly support and reinforce this imbalance? christ.

Any smart person knows cancer research is a money grab. They know what causes cancer and effective ways to treat it, but instead they want to find a big cure to sale as the so called "cure for cancer" and make billions lol (FYI I have been around cancer patients and have worked at a place were cancer was being treated). Also makes no sense funding the army when you can't even take care of your own veterans...

World hunger is not hard to solve, all you need to do is teach people how to dig wells, plant crops and build windmills in places where possible. But sending a pack of rice to starving people will only help them for a day or two which is useless imo. Most world hunger organizations are money grabs too, little of the money you send actually gets to the people in need or the corrupt government in the country you are sending to takes it for them selves.

I have also seen where they gave the starving people seeds to grow vegetables. But guess what? They gave them genetically modified seeds that are made to only last one crop so that the people would have to keep coming back to get more seeds...

Basically If there is no money in it then people don't really give a fuck. That's just the way this world is.

World hunger wouldn't be an issue if people who couldn't afford to have kids stopped having fucking kids

unless they are raped which is unfortunate but the same rule applies don't birth a baby you can't afford

There is enough food to feed everybody. If people in the western world would stop eating so damn much that is. Seriously, look around you. Almost everybody eats too much. And yes, I get that it's economics. You can eat a lot because you're rich and African kids can't because they're poor. But when it comes to food we are not (yet) overpopulated, it's just distributed incredibly poorly. One child policies are awful and didn't work out for China, why would they work out anywhere else?

World hunger wouldn't be an issue if people who couldn't afford to have kids stopped having fucking kids

unless they are raped which is unfortunate but the same rule applies don't birth a baby you can't afford

yep yep yep it's the people who experience incredible structural poverty who are wrong. they are to blame for their own poverty because they dare to obey the most basic of human impulses

Simply funding development programmes that deliver results e.g reliable crops/ clean water access would help massively with this problem. Chucking food/money for food at poor countries doesn't work - the money either runs out eventually or goes to the relevant govt/dictator to be spent on other things.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-24753802- we give aid to India and they decide to spend £210m on a statue rather than their own people

http://fee.org/freeman/the-sorry-record-of-foreign-aid-in-africa/

yep yep yep it's the people who experience incredible structural poverty who are wrong. they are to blame for their own poverty because they dare to obey the most basic of human impulses

Oh no what is common sense, if I can't feed 3 children should I really have a fourth? Yes it may be a human right to have as many children as you want but sometimes it simply isn't feasible.

Simply funding development programmes that deliver results e.g reliable crops/ clean water access would help massively with this problem. Chucking food/money for food at poor countries doesn't work - the money either runs out eventually or goes to the relevant govt/dictator to be spent on other things.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-24753802- we give aid to India and they decide to spend £210m on a statue rather than their own people

http://fee.org/freeman/the-sorry-record-of-foreign-aid-in-africa/

Oh no what is common sense, if I can't feed 3 children should I really have a fourth? Yes it may be a human right to have as many children as you want but sometimes it simply isn't feasible.

This is a bit off topic but being a college student it reminds me of something: It blows my mind when people have like 5+ kids without an income that can support that many people and then wonder why each of their kids have $50,000 in student loans. 

Archived