[PSA] Activating mobile authenticator without a smartphone using the Steam Desktop Authenticator

Bone

Prerequisites:
-You need a phone. It doesn't have to a smartphone. A nokia 1100 will also work as long as it can get SMS's.
-Mobile authenticator needs to be turned OFF before proceeding with this tutorial.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Know That:
-You need to be secure with this method, it is EXTREMELY important you back up this application and it's files in a secure location.
-Not necessary, but it is HIGHLY recommended to enable encryption.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How To:
1. Download the Steam Desktop Authenticator by Jesse Cardone here -https://github.com/Jesse…/SteamDesktopAuthenticator/releases

(P.S. Download the SDA0.2.x.zip file NOT the Source Code)

2. Extract the zip file in a safe location

3. Start the Steam Desktop Authenticator application.

4. Login to your account by clicking "Setup a new account"

5. Once done, it is highly recommended to setup encryption too. This is important so that even if someone else gains access to your computer, they cannot steal your account unless they know your encryption pass key.

6. Good job, you can now get your login tokens and do trade confirmations directly from the app.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FAQ:
Q. Will this application steal my account?
-> No. It's made by Jessecar and geel + it's open source man come on?

Q. Will I need my phone again later after setting up an account?
-> No, it is just required once for the SMS key.

Q. How can I remove mobile authenticator from this application if I just bought a new smartphone?
-> Easy, just press Remove authenticator and add it on your phone. Although, please note that you will get a 7 day trade cooldown.

Q. If I already have mobile auth activated can I shift it to the app without a trade cooldown?
-> Sadly, no. You will have to unlink and link again resulting in a trade cooldown. Jesse, me and a few other people are working on making this a feature for rooted android phones though so you can directly transfer the auth file needed.

If you have any other questions, please comment.

I am not taking any credit for development of this software. This has been made by Jesse Cardone using a library 'SteamAuth' made by Geel.

Be warned! Using this desktop app in place of Steam's mobile app defeats the entire purpose of another device acting as your authenticator. You assume all responsiblity for keeping your computer secure. If a 3rd party gains access to your authenticator data they will gain full instant access to your Steam account and all its items! It is thus HIGHLY recommended to encrypt it.

Just buy some cheap iphone 3 already

theres always the possibility someone has a windows phone or a blackberry or something. also not everyone who has older phones would wanna buy a new smartphone JUST to get steam mobile auth.

You may want to add this in bold:

Be warned! Using this desktop app in place of Steam's mobile app defeats the entire purpose of another device acting as your authenticator. You assume all responsiblity for keeping your computer secure. If a 3rd party gains access to your authenticator data they will gain full instant access to your Steam account and all its items!

Is this application a one time set up? or does it have to be working while steam is to allow me to trade?

It is a one time setup. But to accept trade confirmations (assuming you have it on) or say if you are logging into the steam client or chrome, you just have to run it once and enter the encryption passkey (if you did encrypt it) and it will show you the current temporary auth code.

You may want to add this in bold:

Be warned! Using this desktop app in place of Steam's mobile app defeats the entire purpose of another device acting as your authenticator. You assume all responsiblity for keeping your computer secure. If a 3rd party gains access to your authenticator data they will gain full instant access to your Steam account and all its items!

done

Archived