SSD help

The Oddball

disk defragment it first, kappa.

I don't own an SSD, but I would assume you install to it as you would any other program on an HDD.

An SSD doesn't really help gaming performance since all it does is read faster than an HDD. The only real benefit it might have is loading large maps more quickly, but really no frame boost whatsoever. On top of that, I believe the fuller it gets, the slower it gets so installing multiple games could decrease the general performance of the SSD for other tasks. That's what you wanted us to say right?

I got a 250GB SSD.

Would it be bad to put games like TF2, CSGO, and SFM on there? Just those 3, along with Windows.

Good or bad?

It's not necessarily bad, it's just not really good enough. Definitely stick SFM in there though, I think it'll actually help that out significantly.

It's not necessarily bad, it's just not really good enough. Definitely stick SFM in there though, I think it'll actually help that out significantly.

Will do ;)

So SFM, and Windows for sure.

Are there any downsides to adding tf2/csgo?

Will do ;)

So SFM, and Windows for sure.

Are there any downsides to adding tf2/csgo?

i installed TF2 to an SSD(Samsung Evo 840 250GB). The game loads about a second faster compared to my HDD (WD Black 1TB)and map loading times didn't really change. So honestly its not worth putting TF2 on an SSD but your results may vary. SFM on the other hand seems to run much quicker on an SSD.

I put windows, skyrim, tf2, amongst other things on my SSD.  dunno if tf2 loads noticeably faster, haven't been playing much lately, but skyrim room loading (entering new areas, fast travel, that sorta thing) goes much much faster

I would say your friend doesn't need all his/her games on the SSD, but some games would benefit from it

I run my pc with a SSD only  :lol:

What i learned from having a 200 GB SSD is:

-Being more organized

-No more useless shit, meaning i delete any game and movie after i finish them.

-Pc boot up in like 3 seconds

-Easier navigation and a better time sorting files out due to no more clusterfucks of useless stuff

You will however need to limit the number of music,photos and games in your pc. Like i can't have fallout 4 and witcher 3 installed at the same time with TF2, however i rarely had a situation where i installed more than 4-5 games at the same time (excluding indies), so i got used to it quick.

The better performance on my games however is due to me having a better PC. The general performance of my SSD did not decrease even when i have only 15-20 GB free space, but again this might be due to my newer pc and the difference is little enough that is barely noticeable.

Like others have said, there's no actual "down side" of putting games on an SSD, it really just comes down to how much space you have or are willing to allocate for your games. I hardly play any games, pretty much just TF2. So I have TF2, Banished, my OS, programs, and other small-size files on there. I re-mapped my Videos, Pictures, and Music folders entirely to my 1TB storage HDD so all the clutter goes there. 

Archived