pronlems with suggestions

Ironman

I think this website needs some changes.

It is really unfair that if you make mistakes on your suggestion you get pwned so hard.  

When you make a suggestion you made a public post, that literally everyone that enters the homepage can see. You gave away all the important information you have been working on.

Lets say you cant continue and make it the right way for some reason. Then other guy takes your information and obviously makes a suggestion in minutes/hours on the same item you were working on for days/weeks maybe even months when it is not traded often.

I know this is a community and the goal is just accuracy. But as you can see your suggestions do count for something else eventually. Winning prizes in a game like this or Teeny Tiny Cat's. Gaining trust with people you just met and they are checking your backpack and profile. Even on your sales since you are being trusted as a guy that knows what he is talking about.

Hopefully i can see some changes about this in the future. For now, I am retired.

It is really unfair that if you make mistakes on your suggestion you get pwned so hard.  

You don't get "pwned hard" for a bad suggestions.  Some people might respond rudely but that's only related to that specific person, not the whole site.  It also isn't something that a mod or admin can change obviously.  They do issue warning points for slander and unrelated posts.

Lets say you cant continue and make it the right way for some reason. Then other guy takes your information and obviously makes a suggestion in minutes/hours on the same item you were working on for days/weeks maybe even months when it is not traded often.

When you make a suggestion you made a public post, that literally everyone that enters the homepage can see. You gave away all the important information you have been working on.

The fact that everyone can see all suggestions is good, this lets people leave feedback and responses.  Backpack.tf isn't a secret pricing community, the beauty of it is, is that anyone can suggest and suggestions are reviewed by both suggesters and moderators (who ultimately make the decision of if it's correct or not).  Even once the suggestion is accepted that information will remain public.  This makes it so people know that backpack.tf does not manipulate.  This is what set it apart from spreadsheets and other pricing sites when trading was new.  The info you're giving away in your suggestion goes to change a public price, of course the proof will also be public.  If you made a suggestion just for it to be only for your eyes, well, then... the price would also only be for your eyes.  

I know this is a community and the goal is just accuracy. But as you can see your suggestions do count for something else eventually. Winning prizes in a game like this or Teeny Tiny Cat's. Gaining trust with people you just met and they are checking your backpack and profile. Even on your sales since you are being trusted as a guy that knows what he is talking about.

The suggesting games are to help the community as a whole.  Normally you get nothing for suggesting, this way you can at least get something.  It's volunteer work.  Yes there can be rep farming / rep whoring, but in the cases of contests like these if a suggestion is sloppily put together it won't be accepted/declined for over month, thus missing the deadline for the contest.  Teeny's game is for a feature that will only be used to help you suggest (normally).  That can't be abused, the contest is for new suggesters and the prize is just going to help them suggest better.

Also you aren't always trusted to get the sales right, moderators review ALL suggestions.  They are the ones responsible for that.  If you mess that up it's fine, you'll just be asked to re-suggest.  That isn't a bad thing.

Hopefully i can see some changes about this in the future. For now, I am retired.

I don't think any changes need to be made.  However, retiring is a common thing here and I think you're trying to associate it with "problems" that the site has, when the reason is actually that suggesting is sometimes hard and sometimes addicting (and you sometimes need a break).

See this: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/814-ban-requestsrep-farmer-testimonials/ (I'm not saying you should request a ban, just saying you should read it to see what I'm talking about here)

• Administrators

I dont read the forums too often, but I saw this here and wanted to share my vision on it [so apologies Kevin for "unrelated" comment on yout topic :P]

Im assuming you're referring to the burning veil suggestion. As for the high-tier suggestions: if you're new and end up making mistakes in the update suggestions you're making for one god-tier hat, chances are that you will have to resuggest the large suggestion countless of times before getting it right. Thats why when you start out, you're adviced not to do huge pricing projects yet, which is probably also the reason Woifi rather has someone else do the crones.

As for the situation you mention itself:

Im afraid that the change you're requiring is outside of the site's rules. The site cant dictate someone not to take over your suggestion when it turns out to be flawed. The best thing you can do is show willingness to adapt your suggestions based on the feedback you've received. If something that is told is unclear, be sure to ask. If you're unsure as to what range you should use when you're resuggesting, ask about it before resuggesting. When I started out, I made a lot of minor mistakes that were easy to fix, so I've basicly been carried through my first few suggestions based on advices. I've been countered when I missed sales before as well, but I've never let that discourage me to continue.

I myself will always leave additional/counter proof on open suggestions rather than to take over directly, and give the original suggester plenty of time to fix the mistakes, especially if I can see they are really doing their best. Problems should not arise as long as you're willing to adapt your suggestion until it is correct. The reason I do decide to take over when I see someone is not going to resuggest is that when suggestions with minimal or questionable proof are posted, they're often left open for a long time. People won't be able to accurately vote on them since the suggestions may be accepted as "close enough" or "better than current". Open suggestions are often taken as minis on other suggestions, causing them to be incorrect as well if it turns out they were wrong.

I can only advice you to keep practicing and to be open for criticism. Not everyone will formulate it as kind as others, but believe me when I say that (most of the times) the commenter has the intention to help you out, even if it does not directly look like it. Take a look at the way other suggesters handle certain situations; after a while you'll get the hang of it. The less mistakes you make, the less trouble you'll have.

Only bit of this that actually is on-topic: I dont think suggesters are actually fighting over who wins these prizes :P. It's meant to stimulate suggesters to update certain hats or effects (or in the latest case, hats priced in a certain currency) because they are often incorrect due to the obsolete pricing methods used when they were priced (e.g the old USD pricing system). Of course, when I see those, Ill specificly target those hats and focus/work on them when I have the time [im secretly very sad I didnt win the last one ;-;], but I very much doubt people will snag your suggestions speficly for those.

If you decide to continue and need any help, advice or assistance in any form, feel free to contact or add me!

Mmm that was weird i thought i had replied already...

Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking differently about what happened to me. I guess you can only hope the person that wants to resuggest the item you are working on will ask you or at least notify you that he will be doing it. 

ps. Foamy i did as you as friend  :)

Archived