what does the term "white culture" mean to you?

cąℓσceđrus ☁☽

Things that white people practice. Literally what the two words mean when you string them together in that fashion. It's about as direct as Asian culture etc.

Asian culture = Things Asian people practice

White culture = Things White people practice

verbatim?

African-American culture, also known as Black-American white culture, in the United States refers would then refer to the cultural contributions of African Americans caucasians to the culture of the United States, either as part of or distinct from white American culture.

stop

hamer time?

do white people exist?

Yes, I'd like to think I exist. But that doesn't mean there is such a thing as white culture. My city has enormously different culture from the east or the south of the country, let alone Germany or Belgium. And that's only my neighbouring countries. When we go and compare the culture I grew up in and Hungarian, or Portuguese culture then there is so little similarities that I would be completely out of place there. None of the customs would make any sense to me, nor the language, nor the people or anything else. That is what makes me say that there is no such thing as "white culture".

why is it stupid and why shouldnt it exist?

Because, akin to other such terms there is no "culture" that all people's of a certain skin color subscribe too. This is true not just of white people, because the idea of identifying someone's whole culture based on their skin color is more often than not inaccurate, skin color can sometimes be used to make generalizations, but these are often considered to be stereotyping, and racially-charged as well. As Puddingkip mentioned, white people reflect this due to vastly different and expansive area they have settled. 

I should also mention that the reason the first comment is "stop" is because you've made a name for yourself for making extremely bait-like topics about sensitive topics, often with offensive or purposefully baiting titles, and then ignore any comments that respond meaningfully to your topic, instead repeating your often incorrect argument along with various insulting titles.

Something that's been adopted all over the world and never allowed to be thought of, cultivated, recognized, promoted, or respected as "white", or something that is only allowed to be undermined through mockery, ridicule, and demonizing.  Something white people simply are not allowed to have unless it's associated with the goofy embracing of something so foreign and/or silly and embarassing that nobody could possibly protest (YMCA, Macarena, Gangnam Style, Chicken Dance, etc).

Also I guess blue jeans, t-shirts, comfortable shoes, pop culture (comic books, movies, television, etc) but that's mainly american culture, and even then it's not often allowed to be thought of as american anymore since it has become so widespread around the world.  I guess you could also say suits and ties are a part of white culture, but again they have been adopted all over the world and are not allowed to be thought of as "white culture" unless it is portrayed negatively.

At the end of the day, I don't even really care that white people aren't really allowed to have their own culture unless it's something people can mock or point at as evil.  I just hate the double standard that says everyone else who isn't white is allowed to have their own culture and to be proud of it while white people aren't because the presumption is always that it's bad or dumb/inferior/bland, and yet the whole world seems to be "culturally appropriating" it at the same time.  I think everybody should be allowed to do whatever they want, but the double standard when it comes to white people is just wrong.

Why can't people just call it culture, if all the American's moved out of the united states, and say, all Canadians move in, would baseball, and other 'american culture pieces' be considered their culture? Answer is no, same goes for race, sex, or anything.  Grouping is a nice system of categorization, in some aspects, but human stupidity is as limitless as intelligence, and there will always be those self-conscious people, knowingly or not, who will group and put down a type of people, to make themselves feel bette

• Administrators

@Heated Bread what the everloving fuck are you talking about? "White culture" doesn't exist because there are a ridiculous number of different cultures specific to different groups of white people across the globe, not because everyone hates you and won't let you have your own culture.

I have british family and iranian family. They have distinct cultural values, but they're also distinct from cultures of other white and brown people. My british family have very little in common with white russians, or scandinavians, or dutch people, or french people, etc, etc, etc...

I should also mention that the reason the first comment is "stop" is because you've made a name for yourself for making extremely bait-like topics about sensitive topics, often with offensive or purposefully baiting titles, and then ignore any comments that respond meaningfully to your topic, instead repeating your often incorrect argument along with various insulting titles.

repeating the initial statement but from the other side is not responding meaningfully, reitirating what has already been said will only garner the same exact response and questions as they were never addressed because the people who you are referring to were just there to be contrary rather than actually discussing the hypocritical foundation of modern christianity

@Heated Bread what the everloving fuck are you talking about? "White culture" doesn't exist because there are a ridiculous number of different cultures specific to different groups of white people across the globe, not because everyone hates you and won't let you have your own culture.

I have british family and iranian family. They have distinct cultural values, but they're also distinct from cultures of other white and brown people. My british family have very little in common with white russians, or scandinavians, or dutch people, or french people, etc, etc, etc...

I think that's a valid way of looking at the subject, but if we are to be consistant, then I think we should also then do away with the concept of a white race.  Ignoring whther the concept of race is even valid in the way it has traditionally been applied, I have long thought that white is not a race simply because the diversity when comparing different populations of white people around the world is very high.  At the same time, when you think of things like "black culture", specific imagry does come to mind.  So if there is no such thing as "white culture", then I think we should also say that there is no one "white race".  Hope that makes sense.  If anyone is having trouble with it, just try thinking about what white people from different countries tend to look like and compare them.  They're pretty different looking, physically.

However, if you're just talking about a specific group of white people when you use the term, then I think the concept is still valid.  For example, I think many people mean anglo saxons when they say white, in which case white culture does indeed exist.

However, if you're just talking about a specific group of white people when you use the term, then I think the concept is still valid.  For example, I think many people mean anglo saxons when they say white, in which case white culture does indeed exist.

But even then.... Somebody growing up in the working class Manchester has a completely different cultural background than somebody from the inner City. Not to mention somebody from the Highlands or rural Ireland. I don't quite think you can group culture in defined quantities. Some things are national, some things are regional and some things cross country borders. And then there's the issue with identifying it as white culture. Sinterklaas for instance is part of Dutch culture. But because of our colonial past it's also a part of Antillian culture and I believe Surinam culture, and it has also become part of the culture of the childs of immigrants. A rough 20% of the Dutch people are not white, but Sinterklaas is still part of their culture. So should it be classifieds as white culture? I believe not. It should be classified as Dutch culture in my opinion.

Clearly this was just an example that sprang to my mind with Sinterklaas just around the corner but this applies to all aspects of culture. It is not defined, it's not specified.

But even then.... Somebody growing up in the working class Manchester has a completely different cultural background than somebody from the inner City. Not to mention somebody from the Highlands or rural Ireland. I don't quite think you can group culture in defined quantities. Some things are national, some things are regional and some things cross country borders. And then there's the issue with identifying it as white culture. Sinterklaas for instance is part of Dutch culture. But because of our colonial past it's also a part of Antillian culture and I believe Surinam culture, and it has also become part of the culture of the childs of immigrants. A rough 20% of the Dutch people are not white, but Sinterklaas is still part of their culture. So should it be classifieds as white culture? I believe not. It should be classified as Dutch culture in my opinion.

Clearly this was just an example that sprang to my mind with Sinterklaas just around the corner but this applies to all aspects of culture. It is not defined, it's not specified.

Then you need to apply the same standard to other racial groups.  For example, there is no indian culture because different parts of india are different culturally.  There is no chineese culture for the same reasons.  Any country with a significant population of immigrants now also has no culture of its own.  So for example, Romania has no culture because the gypsies are there among the rest of the romanians, and france has no culture because they have an immigrant population as well.

See how absurd that is?

Then you need to apply the same standard to other racial groups. 

and france has no culture because they have an immigrant population as well.

See how absurd that is?

You seem to have gotten of track somewhere. Pudingkip points out that

{local custom} + {diverse people} -> {local} culture, not {majority race} culture.

Claiming that if he's consistant, that would mean there wouldn't be frensh culture because france has diverse people makes no sense. It would mean that, as france is diverse, their culture isn't "white culture", but "frensh culture".

Then you need to apply the same standard to other racial groups.  For example, there is no indian culture because different parts of india are different culturally.  There is no chineese culture for the same reasons.  Any country with a significant population of immigrants now also has no culture of its own.  So for example, Romania has no culture because the gypsies are there among the rest of the romanians, and france has no culture because they have an immigrant population as well.

See how absurd that is?

What? No, there is no such thing as a unified Indian culture. India is vast and very diverse. This does not mean that India does not have culture, there are many, many different cultures within India. 

What? No, there is no such thing as a unified Indian culture. India is vast and very diverse. This does not mean that India does not have culture, there are many, many different cultures within India. 

So then why can't there be white culture by the same rules?  What's your objection?  Why even bother raising the point that white people growing up in certain areas have a different experience than white people growing up elsewhere?  It seems like you have a bit of a double standard going on.  You're recognizing indian culture as indian even when it is not unified, but refusing to apply the same standard to white people. 

Or are you also saying that there is no indian culture, because indian culture isn't unified?  At least that would be consistant.

The amount of Indian dialects is staggering just to name an example 

• Administrators

I think that's a valid way of looking at the subject, but if we are to be consistant, then I think we should also then do away with the concept of a white race.  Ignoring whther the concept of race is even valid in the way it has traditionally been applied, I have long thought that white is not a race simply because the diversity when comparing different populations of white people around the world is very high.  At the same time, when you think of things like "black culture", specific imagry does come to mind.  So if there is no such thing as "white culture", then I think we should also say that there is no one "white race".  Hope that makes sense.  If anyone is having trouble with it, just try thinking about what white people from different countries tend to look like and compare them.  They're pretty different looking, physically.

There is no such thing as race, in the sense that race is a social construct.

"Black culture" doesn't exist either, it's just that Americans are incredibly short sighted and think african-american = all black people.

Saying all white people don't look the same is such a laughably redundant statement like... no shit bro? Asian people from different countries look different too, shocking!

I'm gonna take a wild guess that you're American, because once again... no, most people don't think of white as exclusively anglo-saxon.

Archived