Overprotectiveness

CecilyLovesYou<3™

What do you guys think about overprotectiveness, especially in the modern days, where parents refuse to let their kids do this and do that because it might be dangerous?

I'm not just referring to parent-child overprotectiveness, what about overprotectiveness in relationships, friendships, or even, protecting a whole group of people, religion, or country?

Although there is an old idiom which hints that too much of everything is bad for you and the people around you, is overprotectiveness also bad for yourself and other people around you, as people might not appreciate it, and you might be stressing yourself out in the end.

I used to devote my whole life onto a special person, mainly the most recent case being my ex-gf, as I protected her nonstop without even asking anything bad, and as stated above, she doesn't appreciate it, and I'm stressing myself out, so the parting was quick.

So comments below.

Its true, being overprotective can do more harm to a kid than good, without the parent realizing of course. 

While it doesn't mean that parents can't just be careless and let their kids go everywhere, being a parent that is too protective would cause a kid to be too dependent of the respective parent even at a later age.

If you see your kid getting bullied for example, you interrupting them would only be good temporarily. The bullies will see that the kid can't do shit without his parent and they will bully him whenever the parent is not around because he didn't stood up for himself.

Regarding friends and others, its never a bad thing to help someone and give them advice, but you know what they say.. everyone must make mistakes in their life so they can learn from them   :P

There's this one kid I know that isn't allowed to leave his room until 9am because his parents set an alarm

He isn't allowed to watch TV till 11, and only for an hour

I went to a sleepover there once years ago, we woke up at 7:30, had to lie in our beds for an hour and a half until their parents woke up and intercom'd us in the room

I never wanted to go back ._.

There's this one kid I know that isn't allowed to leave his room until 9am because his parents set an alarm

He isn't allowed to watch TV till 11, and only for an hour

I went to a sleepover there once years ago, we woke up at 7:30, had to lie in our beds for an hour and a half until their parents woke up and intercom'd us in the room

I never wanted to go back ._.

That's practically putting him in jail (or juvenile detention if you will). Poor guy.

Eh some girlfriends that I have had wanted me to be super overprotective and liked it and some i guess didn't like it as much, I am in general about most things tho.

People should be sensible, give some freedom but establish some ground rules. With my parents it was always as long as I didn't give them a reason to be overprotective, they'd let me have my freedom to a reasonable extent. 

In a relationship, I think it's good to have trust. If there's no trust, there's no relationship.

• Administrators

With parents some of it can be reactive, I think. Like my parents didn't treat me and each of my siblings exactly the same way, they were significantly more protective of my little sister because she's less confident/assertive so they worried about her more.

In relationships, I don't really like protectiveness at all. The only person I've dated who was overprotective was abusive in numerous other ways so it's all tied together for me. My husband is supportive but not protective - he knows I can look after myself and he trusts that I will ask for help if I need it (my parents are the same way, actually.) That's also the relationship I have with most of my close friends - I'm there if they need me and vice versa, but we don't push each other or smother each other.

Archived