Intel Skylake 6500 or Haswell 4690 (both i5)?

∞Ramses

I don't know what to buy...

Skylake 6500 is bit cheaper, but it comes with more expensive motherboard and RAM.

The 6600 is kinda the same price as 4690, so is it really worth the extra cost?

Thanks

Skylake holds no real improvement over Haswell other than the addition of DDR4 which has lower voltages but the socket Haswell is on is technically "dead" and there will be no more CPUs for it. Both have similar performance but get the one you feel will last you longer.

That is quite a question, there's plenty of factors to put in. A certain someone will come in and tell you to go for the 4690 because Skylake only offers a 5-10% improvement or something, but there's other things to consider.

RAM prices don't seem all that different. On Newegg I just saw a G. Skill 8GB kit going for $43 and a HyperX 8GB stick on Amazon for about $49. Motherboard prices do seem to be generally higher, but you can still find decent options floating around the $100 range if you're a non-overclocker, and you can also take into account that this socket may be able to accommodate future processors which could bring great improvements. Honestly if you don't already have a Haswell board you may as well hop on the Skylake if prices aren't too different.

That is quite a question, there's plenty of factors to put in. A certain someone will come in and tell you to go for the 4690 because Skylake only offers a 5-10% improvement or something, but there's other things to consider.

RAM prices don't seem all that different. On Newegg I just saw a G. Skill 8GB kit going for $43 and a HyperX 8GB stick on Amazon for about $49. Motherboard prices do seem to be generally higher, but you can still find decent options floating around the $100 range if you're a non-overclocker, and you can also take into account that this socket may be able to accommodate future processors which could bring great improvements. Honestly if you don't already have a Haswell board you may as well hop on the Skylake if prices aren't too different.

Well it depends on RAM speed too. If you're running low speed ram then it defeats the purpose of switching to DDR4.

Well it depends on RAM speed too. If you're running low speed ram then it defeats the purpose of switching to DDR4.

With the exception of a few situations such as graphics performance on AMD APUs, the speed of RAM doesn't seem to make a major difference. This is because there is also the factor of latency to take into account. As a general rule when speed increases, latency also increases. Since latency works inversely to frequency, they almost cancel each other out. 

I'm buying a whole new computer, so I'll pick the Skylake. Price-wise it's about the same for me.

Thanks!

Well, I'd recommend a 4690system instead since it's only $20~ more and will offer close to the same performance at stock speeds, but will be quite a bit faster once overclocked (albeit that would require an additional $20).

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($81.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $326.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 10:08 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $324.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 10:10 EST-0500

And a locked Haswell i5 is still about $50 cheaper, so I'd rather put that $50 towards something meaningful (such as a better GPU). 

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($193.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $298.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 10:23 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($33.99 @ Adorama) 
Total: $253.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 10:25 EST-0500

TL;DR I would max out the GPU first (up to an R9 390), then if there is still extra money go with a 4690k, if you need to spend less on the CPU to get to that R9 390, then I'd go for an i5-4460.

Archived