Steam Escrow Discussion and Speculation

Bobsplosion

Your typical steam user just buys and sells what he/she wants on the community market and would never trade outside of it unless they were approached by a shark or their friend.

Actually your typical steam user who actually trades items in TF2 or CS:GO would more than likely partake in at least some of the following:

Use TF2Outpost/Backpack.tf classifieds to find items they want.

Use scrap.tf to exchange weapons for weapons they want.

Borrow items to friends/people in their game. I need a X for this MVM mission won't be as simple with the escrow, I don't think you have a week to wait from when you planned to play a MVM game.

Gamble skins on betting websites such as CS:GO lounge.

Swap skins on CS:GO lounge/with friends.

Use real world money trading websites other than the Steam market such as marketplace.tf or opskins.

You don't need to be a hardcore unusual trader to swap your sandman for a fan of war for MVM or let your friend use your desert eagle skin.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually your typical steam user who actually trades items in TF2 or CS:GO would more than likely partake in at least some of the following:

Use TF2Outpost/Backpack.tf classifieds to find items they want.

Use scrap.tf to exchange weapons for weapons they want.

Borrow items to friends/people in their game. I need a X for this MVM mission won't be as simple with the escrow, I don't think you have a week to wait from when you planned to play a MVM game.

Gamble skins on betting websites such as CS:GO lounge.

Swap skins on CS:GO lounge/with friends.

Use real world money trading websites other than the Steam market such as marketplace.tf or opskins.

You don't need to be a hardcore unusual trader to swap your sandman for a fan of war for MVM or let your friend use your desert eagle skin.

Bruh.  Most people ain't got time for all that extra mess.

What's going to happen to scrap.tf? considering how many bot accounts are on there. 

Also this is pretty sad, I'm starting to enjoy TF2 and learning more about trading and this happens... 

The owner of scrap.tf said that his bot wont work, or any bot for this matter, if this was actually added

why do we have to be punished with every trading update because steam can't handle hijackers/phishers

^ This.....but not quite

I think it's more about the resources that go into steam support (which takes care of hijacked accounts obviously).   I bet looking into cases of reported hijacking takes quite a bit of time.  Support needs to go through a number of steps to check if the account was actually hijacked and when they determine yes, it's legit, they have to restore the backpack.  That all sounds like it takes 10 minutes, but take it from someone who has experience with systems support, it doesn't.  That whole process probably takes a good hour, if not more.   And how many of these do you think get submitted each day?  Dozens?  Hundreds?  If Valve manages to reduce that number, it equals saving on resources required to support steam which obviously equals more money and efficiency.   

Edit:  obviously the added bonus is driving more traffic to SCM which nets Valve (a ridiculous, greedy and unjustified) 15% from every purchase regardless whether it's just cents or hundreds of dollars.  

I just got an idea! The best confirmation method!

We write written letters and mail them the old fashioned way!

Coming to you in Summer 2016

If you refuse this authentication method and get hijacked well then you can go fuck yourself :D

~Valve

Don't forget the 10% reader's fee and the 5% (insert game name here) fee

So our stuff goes to item purgatory to await judgement from the almighty Gaben for two days unless we cough up a code.

"since we're tired of getting reports from 5 year old kids who don't know how to keep their items, everyone has to suffer to make our jobs easier"

The things Valve has now are perfectly adequate at stopping scams. Now, if you get scammed, you're just being dumb, and it's your own fault. There's no fucking need for this. We don't need some 7 day restriction on traded items.

One of the main things keeping me in TF2 is trading. I love it, it's absolutely fun. With these stupid ass restrictions, I'll probably just quit the game altogether, because trading will be fucked. Nice move Valve

One of the main things keeping me in TF2 is trading. I love it, it's absolutely fun. With these stupid ass restrictions, I'll probably just quit the game altogether, because trading will be fucked. Nice move Valve

woah settle down

you know there's actually a game you can play other than trading, right? you know, actual tf2?

So, after they've had one of the best years (content-wise), they decide to fuck up trading? Odd. 

They're basically saying

apJP4IM.jpg

But this might actually be a silver lining, considering people might actually play the game now.

A bit confused. Are the items in some sort of limbo when the trade hasn't been accepted from both sides?

Somewhat takes the biscuit in the fact that it makes trade offers a bit broken.

ya'know

I'd prefer the SCM if more things were marketable

why are only limited promos and stranges and such marketable? why can't all the cosmetics be marketable?

Guys.. chill... its valve..

Theyll delay it like 6 times before it comes into effect :B1:

but srs escrow is dumb as fuck this is the dumbest thing theyve thought of. and why isnt email confirm enough?

You're all misguided about the real situation. Valve's in it for the long con, they're data mining mobile numbers by forcing users who frequently trade to get a mobile authenticator in order to continue their trading style, then they'll sell the information for top dollar.

Open your eyes, sheeple.

This is what happens when you let mentally handicapped people unbox scorching bananas and burning TCs.

I apologize. But it just HAD to be done.

yQymKfi.png

Good luck with the implementation, hopes it doesn't ends up like dota 2 player stats in september when they implemented the reborn patch and in jan when they did the trading restrictions

A bit confused. Are the items in some sort of limbo when the trade hasn't been accepted from both sides?

Somewhat takes the biscuit in the fact that it makes trade offers a bit broken.

When both parties have agreed to a trade, but one of them doesn't have the mobile authenticator enabled, the items are removed from both inventories until a waiting period is over.  This is to give people time to prevent hijackings.  Once the waiting period is over and neither party has cancelled, the trade goes through.

Now I have to cash out way faster than I intended..

What's the reason that you're cashing out in the first place? I see so many traders cashing out or moving to CS:GO.

I personally don't see a problem with TF2 trading at the moment but many others thinks is dying.

When both parties have agreed to a trade, but one of them doesn't have the mobile authenticator enabled, the items are removed from both inventories until a waiting period is over.  This is to give people time to prevent hijackings.  Once the waiting period is over and neither party has cancelled, the trade goes through.

There's also the fact that people that decline their side of the trade will be placed onto a trade ban (although I'm not sure how long so it does kind of tempt users not to back out)

But seriously though you know Valve f*cked when paid mods aren't looking so bad, eh?

There's also the fact that people that decline their side of the trade will be placed onto a trade ban (although I'm not sure how long so it does kind of tempt users not to back out)

But seriously though you know Valve f*cked when paid mods aren't looking so bad, eh?

Maybe the trade ban stacks up over time. For example, the first time you decline you get a 1 day ban then 3 days, 5 days, 1 week, 1 month and perma-ban. Say if you don't decline for more than a month, your ban stack reverts by one level. So if I got the 3 day ban and after that the 5 day ban, if I don't decline anymore for a month, the next time I decline, I'm gonna get a 5 day ban instead of the 1 week. Basically something like CS:GO's competitive cooldown.

And maybe like a Vac Ban, Valve will put a mark on your profile. Something like [Declined a trade during the escrow period 22 days ago] and when the ban resets itself(completely), the marker gets removed.

This is only a rough idea of what I think might work, please don't hate me :3

Update: What if Valve labels those who did and did not activate the mobile authentication so we know who we should trade with without worrying about our items disappearing for a few days

Update: What if Valve labels those who did and did not activate the mobile authentication so we know who we should trade with without worrying about our items disappearing for a few days

You can look to see if they have Community Leader badges, but it wouldn't be accurate if the person just added mobile confirmation and then disabled it.  I suppose you could just ask before trading with them.

You can look to see if they have Community Leader badges, but it wouldn't be accurate if the person just added mobile confirmation and then disabled it.  I suppose you could just ask before trading with them.

well, if Valve added a 'ban system' similar to what I suggested, then if the said person was lying and now my trade has gone into the system and I can't decline because I would get a ban. I would basically be screwed simply because the person I'm trying to trade with trolled me.

When I say Valve should label I didn't mean badges. I meant something that is updated in realtime. Something like an icon.

well, if Valve added a 'ban system' similar to what I suggested, then if the said person was lying and now my trade has gone into the system and I can't decline because I would get a ban. I would basically be screwed simply because the person I'm trying to trade with trolled me.

There could be a brief window lasting a few minutes after the trade is accepted, during which no penalty will be given for cancelling.  That should pretty much eliminate that one particular type of trolling with the new system, since the victim could just immediately cancel and get their items back with no penalty the moment they see that they'd been tricked into escrow.

Archived