Steam Escrow Discussion and Speculation

Bobsplosion

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3tdpfd/valve_to_add_escrow_to_trading_which_holds_items/

It appears Valve is adding another trading restriction like email confirmation; unless both parties can go on the Steam Mobile app (requiring a cellphone to run it) and confirm the trade on there, then the items will be placed in limbo for some period of time before being granted.

Obviously this would be catastrophic to trading as a whole, and appears to be some joint move to reduce damage from scams as well as move players towards the Steam Community Market instead of person-to-person trading.

Discuss.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Troll trades are going to be a thing now. Oh ho, you want to trade those keys? Nope, I gonna send a trade offer and escrow them and force you to wait a few days before you can trade and then I'll cancel my trade offer 

If they make it so they won't help you if you get hijacked for not being able to go through multiple authentication methods then they are just creating this to be a whole lot lazier 

I already bought what I wanted off SCM, this wont make me go to SCM when I've already got what I wanted before

If people are getting scammed, then they are just morons who do not bother to take precautions. Its 2015, you should know humans are not a trustworthy species.

Also, fuck you Valve for not unlocking my account yet

The way I see it, most trading seems to take place on the community market already.  Transactions on there far outweigh the posts on trading sites and in game servers.  So doesn't this mean that the vast majority of users will be unaffected?

Jesus if steam support receives so many tickets, then why won't they add a guideline with methods of scamming when you make a new account or a reminder to current accounts. At least showing a general idea of how you can encounter a scammer.

Then there will be no reason that people will fall for scams due to ignorance, but just stupidity.

Also smartphones are cheap yes, but if the only reason to buy one is to confirm trades then no thank you.

What's going to happen to scrap.tf? considering how many bot accounts are on there. 

Also this is pretty sad, I'm starting to enjoy TF2 and learning more about trading and this happens... 

Who'd have thought everyone playing a COMPUTER game wouldn't have a SMARTPHONE?

What the fuck was going through Valve's minds when they thought about trying to force this? Did they really think everyone who used Steam is a generic American teen stuck in their iPhone?

Also why would they think locking items away because you don't have access to a cellphone would be practical anyway?

Also to everyone arguing 'Oh a smartphone ain't that expensive, just buy one and stop being tight', maybe I don't need a smartphone?

A decent smartphone where I am will set you back well over $150, what if you walked into your bank and they demanded you buy $150 gold plated shoelaces in order for you to access your bank account with all your money in it? Would you be happy if you needed to spend a considerable amount on something you have absolutely no need for in order to use a completely unrelated service?

I just got an idea! The best confirmation method!

We write written letters and mail them the old fashioned way!

Coming to you in Summer 2016

If you refuse this authentication method and get hijacked well then you can go fuck yourself :D

~Valve

Who'd have thought everyone playing a COMPUTER game wouldn't have a SMARTPHONE?

What the fuck was going through Valve's minds when they thought about trying to force this? Did they really think everyone who used Steam is a generic American teen stuck in their iPhone?

Also why would they think locking items away because you don't have access to a cellphone would be practical anyway?

^ This completely. I don't own a smartphone because I don't fucking need one. It's just more expensive and all I do is call and text. Now this shit?

Also, what about PayPal trades? Those are gonna be a shit ton more difficult now.

^ This completely. I don't own a smartphone because I don't fucking need one. It's just more expensive and all I do is call and text. Now this shit?

Also, what about PayPal trades? Those are gonna be a shit ton more difficult now.

There are posts in the reddit thread saying you can probably use emulation software to run the authenticator on your PC.  It's not an ideal solution for people in your situation, but it's something.

For now, trades don't require confirmation from someone who doesn't add anything to the window. Unless they change it, PayPal trades won't be that difficult, because only the seller has to have the mobile authenticator enabled.

Also, reminder that this is a steam confirmation thingy, this will not only affect tf2, but also csgo, dota and other games with a trading community.

I would expect a huge backlash from the community if this really got implemented.

Also, reminder that this is a steam confirmation thingy, this will not only affect tf2, but also csgo, dota and other games with a trading community.

I would expect a huge backlash from the community if this really got implemented.

Those games have way less of a trading scene outside of the community market than tf2 does.  TF2 is pretty much the only game where non market trades take place at any significant volume AFAIK.

Why Valve is adding this new feature: Because of the overwhelming amount of reports they get every minute. It's just not possible to keep up with every single report. Making it even worse, the false/troll reports they have to sift through as well.

Will this significantly reduce the amount of scam reports?: Possibly, but by how much is yet to be seen.

Will scammers and sharking be reduced by this?: Yes. (mind you, there will still be that % of people who still fall for dumb scams)

To be honest, I kinda dislike this feature but at the same time, valve has had to deal with so much shit in their inbox, I'm not surprised they are willing to try new things to ease up the stress a bit.

Just because there's code doesn't mean it's coming.

There was an interface for adding steam wallet money into trades a while back iirc, but that never happened.

Those games have way less of a trading scene outside of the community market than tf2 does.  TF2 is pretty much the only game where non market trades take place at any significant volume AFAIK.

High-tier knife/weapon trading in cs:go

If paid mods had a huge backlash i cant even begin to imagine how huge this one will be, i mean , for me the idea isnt even good on paper in practice it would be much worse, if they want to help or get a load of their backs, there must be other ways, but messing around with trading even more than they already have, doesnt seem like the solution, we should just wait for the backlash and expect them to remove this if they even end up adding it.

On another note, do you guys think that there will be a major rise in steam market prices? Or a major fall in steam market prices when escrow is enabled? (csgo, tf2 and dota items)

If paid mods had a huge backlash i cant even begin to imagine how huge this one will be, i mean , for me the idea isnt even good on paper in practice it would be much worse, if they want to help or get a load of their backs, there must be other ways, but messing around with trading even more than they already have, doesnt seem like the solution, we should just wait for the backlash and expect them to remove this if they even end up adding it.

Paid mods affected way more people than I foresee this affecting.  The amount of people regularly doing non-market trading is easily dwarfed by the total steam userbase or just the people who use the market.  Traders like that are the exception, not the rule.  Your typical steam user just buys and sells what he/she wants on the community market and would never trade outside of it unless they were approached by a shark or their friend.  In the case of giving stuff to their friend (their actual friend, not just a random e-beggar from their friends list), the escrow is never going to be anything more than a minor annoyance.

Why Valve is adding this new feature: Because of the overwhelming amount of reports they get every minute. It's just not possible to keep up with every single report. Making it even worse, the false/troll reports they have to sift through as well.

community ban report abusers, problem solved. auto-ignore tickets from newly made accounts.

why do we have to be punished with every trading update because steam can't handle hijackers/phishers

make trades have steam guard like codes and give an option to opt-out of it, should be a lot easier than introducing that kind of "protection"

Archived