Is TF2 really dying?

KennH™

No. I mean, it's a Thursday afternoon. Europeans are at work, Americans just woke up. And the amount of players always spikes during events and then drops a bit after. I played a lot of tf2 during Halloween, now I'm spending my time playing a few other games before probably returning to tf2 in a week or so.

Last I heard the long term statistics showed that the average player base was pretty much at the same level over the past 3 or 4 years. People join, people quit. More stay. And with big events like gun mettle, invasion and Halloween people stay interested. Plus, there's somewhat of a hype for match making. The people that claim tf2 is dying have been doing just that for years and it's still very much alive

336b69ac7e.png

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

The stats might be lower now but you have to take into consideration that the peak numbers were all at major updates. The game had promotion on the front page of Steam at the time.

You also have to take into consideration that it's November, all the latest AAA games are out and some of which are actually good for once.

So no TF2 isn't anywhere near dead.

I'm sorry I have been waiting for something like this for a while.
But in a nutshell no. As the people above said it will have a flux and flow of players. Maybe tf2 doesn't have as many players as 2012 but (as u said with 30k people playing its no where near dead

Fallout 4 just came out, what did you expect? 

Anyway, it really depends on your definition of dying. If by dying you mean barely any players playing this game, then TF2 is very far from dying. The numbers might've gone down, but it's still among the top 5 most played games on Steam (IIRC). If by dying, you mean the devs not making and giving new content anymore, then it depends on whether you consider hats, maps, contracts, weapon skins and once/twice a year balance changes to be new content or not.

Expect a rise in players when the matchmaking update or Smissmass comes. 

when comp releases im sure there will be more players than every before

look at cs:go

i personally like to play lobbies in tf2 more than pubs, becaus ein pubs K:D 50:3 isnt really fun sometimes and doesnt tech me anything that much

Yeah, I know it's pretty sad to see such a great game die.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              It's just a prank bro

TF2 is not dying.  I'm talking about the actual game.  Trading is fucked, but the game itself is fine.

how is it fucked xD

Market is totally saturated, way too many items.  Supply keeps increasing, demand stays the same.  We need trade up contracts, not just for skins, but for every item in the game, even unusuals. 

It's not dying but it's not growing either which is really sad because the game has so much potential but without the support from Valve, TF2 can only go so far. The longer Valve delays matchmaking, more and more players will get sick and tired of waiting and eventually move on. 

Compare TF2's player stats with CS:GO's. Look at the graph. 

TF2: http://steamcharts.com/app/440#All

CS:GO http://steamcharts.com/app/730#All

TF2's total player count stays relatively the same whereas CS:GO grows bigger every year.

I don't know if it's due to the lack of an official competitive game mode or TF2 is so old that it's developers can't do much about it anymore. 

It's not dying but it's not growing either which is really sad because the game has so much potential but without the support from Valve, TF2 can only go so far. The longer Valve delays matchmaking, more and more players will get sick and tired of waiting and eventually move on. 

Compare TF2's player stats with CS:GO's. Look at the graph. 

TF2: http://steamcharts.com/app/440#All

CS:GO http://steamcharts.com/app/730#All

TF2's total player count stays relatively the same whereas CS:GO grows bigger every year.

I don't know if it's due to the lack of an official competitive game mode or TF2 is so old that it's developers can't do much about it anymore. 

its because with cs:go its better to when yo ucome home and wanna play with couple of friends and wanna play real game where matters if u win or not, my friend just quited tf2 because he wants to play actual matches where win matters, and he cant play lobbies because he is bad, but he wants to play comp, but he cant because he is bad, he wants to play with ''silvers'' ranked people at tf2, not random 20 people that just dont cooperate and sometimes someone who has 1000+ hours joins and rekt the whole server

many people are quitiing early because of this

It's not dying but it's not growing either which is really sad because the game has so much potential but without the support from Valve, TF2 can only go so far. 

Really?  We're bitching about lack of support again?  We just had 3 major updates over the course of 3 months, how is the game not being supported?  You might not like the direction it's going in, but to say that there's been a lack of support lately isn't fair. 

Archived