Is An External SSD For My Laptop Worth It?

¬°BurningKirby

Hey guys!

I'm interested in buying an external hard drive to supplement the HDD which came with by Laptop.

I've been looking into Solid State Drives, as they generally tend to be faster and more durable from what I've heard, but

I'm unsure if it would really be worth the investment as opposed to a traditional HDD.

My laptop uses USB 2.0 connectors and I plan to use the drive primarily for games.

Would I notice any increase in load speed were I to buy a SSD as opposed to a HDD?

Get an SSD for the operating system, and use the existing HDD as your external. External drives aren't really fun with laptops though, because you'd always need it plugged in. Replace the Disc Drive with an HDD, and that would solve it.

usb 2.0 is slow so you wont utilize the ssd speed at all

You still gain the improved latency of an ssd (albeit part of that improvement is lost over the peripheral bus). The bigger issue is that an SSD for games is a waste when the OS itself is still running off an HDD (an SSD is a waste for games in general).

You still gain the improved latency of an ssd (albeit part of that improvement is lost over the peripheral bus). The bigger issue is that an SSD for games is a waste when the OS itself is still running off an HDD (an SSD is a waste for games in general).

I put TF2 on my SSD only, and my map load times are excellent.

I put TF2 on my SSD only, and my map load times are excellent.

Congratulations, you can load into a map 3 seconds faster then me; well worth the extra $0.22/GB. Of course an SSD will have a benefit on load times, however that benefit isn't worth the extra cost (now there are some games which actually can benefit from an SSD due to having massive texture files that need to be loaded on the fly, but there's like one or two games like that, and they usually still run just fine off an HDD anyway 99% of the time). 

Congratulations, you can load into a map 3 seconds faster then me; well worth the extra $0.22/GB. Of course an SSD will have a benefit on load times, however that benefit isn't worth the extra cost (now there are some games which actually can benefit from an SSD due to having massive texture files that need to be loaded on the fly, but there's like one or two games like that, and they usually still run just fine off an HDD anyway 99% of the time). 

Well, I still have half storage available on it, and TF2 is my most played game, so I said "why nawt!"

Get an SSD for the operating system, and use the existing HDD as your external. External drives aren't really fun with laptops though, because you'd always need it plugged in. Replace the Disc Drive with an HDD, and that would solve it.

I was thinking about doing something like that, but my laptop uses an ATA disk, while most SSDs on the market are SATA.

So without a hard drive similar to the original, I would need some sort of adapter, which really isn't practical for a laptop.

Could you recommend an ATA solid state drive? I really can't seem to find any. :P

I was thinking about doing something like that, but my laptop uses an ATA disk, while most SSDs on the market are SATA.

So without a hard drive similar to the original, I would need some sort of adapter, which really isn't practical for a laptop.

Could you recommend an ATA solid state drive? I really can't seem to find any. :P

By ATA it probably means SATA, unless of course your laptop is like 10+ years old. 

If your laptop uses ATA why would you waste money on an SSD? Get a new laptop.

By ATA it probably means SATA, unless of course your laptop is like 10+ years old. 

I've decided that either way, I need to stop trying to keep this dying thing alive and just upgrade instead.

Going to build a new pc.

Both of you, thanks for the assistance!

I've decided that either way, I need to stop trying to keep this dying thing alive and just upgrade instead.

Going to build a new pc.

Both of you, thanks for the assistance!

No problem :)

Archived