Wrong suggested price, 140-170 keys, polar

BullDoser

* Link to the suggestion: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/56147949dea9e9df364ac08f

* Why the suggestion should not have been accepted/rejected:

1. Hat was priced on a single sale, OP listed my trade even though I still have the hat. The previous owner bought it in shorter than 3 months period, too, therefore this suggesion breaks one of the rules.

2. I paid 360 eur for the hat simply because it is the market limit (Unless you indeed think 360 eur/400 usd is the magical number for most expensive hats and it has nothing to do with limitations). While this is not same tier hat, you would not price sunbeams TC on a single max market cash sale either

3. Low range comes from: "(400 * 0.85) / 2.4 = 141.666 (rounding to 140)"  Taking fees into consideration would mean that most hats in the market would need a price change. This would make sniping from market literally pointless, too. I'm not sure how backpack.tf is considering market sales, though, so this might not be an argument. 

Sorry if I sound harsh, I am not :)

Thanks!

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/6033-guide-for-unusual-price-suggestions/

Any hat can be priced based on a single sale if ALL these criteria are met:

- There are no other recent sales in the last 3 months

- The hat went to a collector or person who intends to keep the hat. A collector can be identified by looking at the person's trade history, item history of similar unusuals in the backpack OR if the owner has not resold the hat 1 month after the sale occurred.

I also left these two comments in the suggestion:

"I'm confused about how you have two sales here. In your first link, the seller still has it." - I was aware there was only one sale and it meets the criteria outlined above.

"Left this up in the hope that offers or additional sales would help identify whether these are outliers or not.

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/27216896 - but pretty much nothing" - I didn't see any evidence anywhere that the purchase was an outlier.

You are welcome to make a new suggestion when you sell it, but the suggestion was accepted simply to report the sale as it happened. Outliers are defined by deviation from the mean and not where or how fast the item sells.

2. I paid 360 eur for the hat simply because it is the market limit (Unless you indeed think 360 eur/400 usd is the magical number for most expensive hats and it has nothing to do with limitations). While this is not same tier hat, you would not price sunbeams TC on a single max market cash sale either

But that's the thing - you were willing pay 360 euros / 400 USD for the hat, and you did. Therefore it's a valid sale.

3. Low range comes from: "(400 * 0.85) / 2.4 = 141.666 (rounding to 140)"  Taking fees into consideration would mean that most hats in the market would need a price change. This would make sniping from market literally pointless, too. I'm not sure how backpack.tf is considering market sales, though, so this might not be an argument.

This is how SCM sales are treated for unusuals - two values are derived from the sale: what the buyer pays, and what the seller receives. The seller received ~140 keys worth, and the buyer paid ~170 keys worth.

Archived