The real question everyone wants to know about what you did in UnderTale?

ǍгᴋᴀɴД ₭ɪлʛ

Did you kill Flowey?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Yes/No?

• Yes, fark that little sh!t
    • No, I probably watched it on YouTube to make the decision for me (jk ;)

For the record & from my understanding, killing Flowey doesn't prevent you from getting the true pacifist ending, he just won't tell you how to archive it after you defeated him.

And with that said

âœ¿

♥Fight                                       Mercy

I killed that freakin' a-hole. He deserved it. Without Asriel's soul, he is just a ruthless evil creature that deserved to be erased from existance.

whats undertale

no i dont live under a rock thank you

Its a game with accent on its story. Basically a kid who falls into an underground world of monsters who aren't as bad as you might think (except the flower holy shit avoid him) 

The main focus is on character development and your interaction with them. Basically you meet and kill and interact with the characters and advance the story. 

They are relatively self aware of the cliches that other games do in their story and they even address it at various points in pretty entertaining ways. So its surprisingly fun (sometimes cheesy) to meet characters and Annihilate The Entire Race find out what they do, with random encounters with monsters where you can Murder Their Entire Family Tree  talk them out of the fight.

What makes the game special besides the solid character development is another thing, which is kinda of a spoiler:

There are characters powerful enough in the game that are self aware of the mechanics of it, like you saving the game and loading, being turn based and even be aware of previous runs that you did which impacts new ones. The game breaks the 4th wall pretty often by implementing the mechanics of it into an actual power related to the story.

You should check it out if you like story driven games, because the game is really Jesus fucking Christ stay away from that satanic flower holy shit i'm gonna have nightmares lighthearted and fun  :D 

As for the topic.

Does it even matter if you kill him or not? You get the same ending anyway. But anyway his sheer confusion and reaction when you spare him made it better for me rather than killing him.

I gave him mercy.  At that point I was under the impression that I had to kill Asgore, but then it gave me the mercy option, so I used it.  After defeating Flowey I felt like I was too deep down the rabbit hole of mercy so I just did it again.  

I have many many thoughts on this game which are going into an article in my column, but namely the objection to the idea this game is "story-driven"

"Story-driven" is a buzz-word used in the gaming industry to sidestep shit gameplay. Undertale has fucking fantastic gameplay. The way combat is handled is about a thousand steps forward for the genre and I, just, I fucking love it. So stop saying it's story-driven, you're hurting me

But yes, I killed Flowey, I was on a first playthrough and just doing what I wanted to do instead of what I was obliged to do by what "run" I was on. Which is how every first playthrough should be.

I have many many thoughts on this game which are going into an article in my column, but namely the objection to the idea this game is "story-driven"

"Story-driven" is a buzz-word used in the gaming industry to sidestep shit gameplay. Undertale has fucking fantastic gameplay. The way combat is handled is about a thousand steps forward for the genre and I, just, I fucking love it. So stop saying it's story-driven, you're hurting me

Well you're hurting yourself because you just assume that . Its not sidestepping the gameplay, but the graphics. Hotline Miami, Walking Dead, Fez and the sorts, have modest graphics with their main selling point to be the story and gameplay and look how well praised they are.

Don't get me wrong, undertale's concept wouldn't even work if it had different graphics, but people are reluctant to play it just because of how it looks.

The indie game industry has been pumping so many good games that if you would make an indie and it would be good, then it wouldn't even have any success on sales, because just good wouldn't even cut it anymore.

So you have to understand that people will judge it out of context just because of how it looks, that's just the nature of it. If it wouldn't become so popular then people would've dismissed it as just another rpg maker anime sort of game, and they wouldn't have that curiosity to check it out to see for themselves of what really is.

As much as you love the game, you have to describe it in a way that doesn't have such a bias of it. You have to give a point of emphasis of the game that outclasses the other aspects, and story is the one that does it. What i did forget to mention is the soundtrack, which is very well done and fits well in the areas and battles you're in.

Another question is, why is the soundtrack the same price as the game?

I spared Flowey. Yeah, he tried to kill me, so did everyone else. I just wish he was also sent to the surface, just so he could see the sun, then wither away from drying up and lack of water.

I think you've misunderstood my point. I'm actively making a case for the gameplay here.

And the graphics are good, just your perspective is wrong, your definition of "good" is flawed.. Undertale has some of the nicest spritework from this century. Not to mention the photo-realism later on, which is the most disturbing shit I've seen in years. 

Have another try at reading what I said. Because you've completely mis-understood everything I said. Well done you.

But also, I must "Hotline miami and Fez have modern graphics"

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAWHAT. I think I might be done here.

You're quick to judge my friend, i said modest not modern.

I wasn't looking for a fight, just to show an appealing perspective of a game to outsiders, if you don't agree with it doesn't mean others will not.

For myself, whenever i hear a game has strong story components, a lot of them also lacks in the graphic department, and not specifically gameplay, which was my point with what i said.

I see no reason why you are so angry at me but whatever, sorry if i said something wrong.

Archived