BP.TF Unusual pricelist - Dies a death unless...

+SPONGE+ NUTTER

Needs to change before it dies.

Bp.tf started pricing more than a year ago already.

It didn't "die" throughout this period where several new hats and effects were introduced. So it doesn't "die" now.

It's impossible to create an automated mathematical formula to calculate the prices. Look at odd leveled vintages and low craft numbers, these bonuses are far off than the actual market value.
When will this go through that thick skull of yours?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really isn't an alternative. .....................

So everything has been considered and tried?

No one seems to have attempted using a mechanism for pricing Unusuals even though there's plenty of data already there to estimate particle effect scale for each hat type.  A few db queries estimating values based on current prices for each hat type should be very straightforward.  All you need then is to decide on a multiplier for rarity and you're pretty much there.  If prices are calculated using already priced hats as a reference point the formula will simply estimate everything without a price therefore filling in the gaps.  As voting continues it will keep prices current and reflective of actual market trends.

This is an alternative and is based on 'actual' market prices not speculation.  It doesn't need opinions and can be automated with scheduled scripts and db queries.  If this was my area of expertise in computing then I would have tried it already.  I'm simply hoping someone with the skills and access to the backpack.tf db will at least try it.  Even for one hat type would prove/disprove the theory.

The fact that no one has tried something doesn't mean it can't be done ;)

@ ∞Ramses.  Instead of throwing unprovoked insults and flaming why not add something positive or intelligent to the discussion. Without checking your backpack it seems that Unusual trading maybe something you have little experience or knowledge of.

So everything has been considered and tried?

No one seems to have attempted using a mechanism for pricing Unusuals even though there's plenty of data already there to estimate particle effect scale for each hat type.  A few db queries estimating values based on current prices for each hat type should be very straightforward.  All you need then is to decide on a multiplier for rarity and you're pretty much there.  If prices are calculated using already priced hats as a reference point the formula will simply estimate everything without a price therefore filling in the gaps.  As voting continues it will keep prices current and reflective of actual market trends.

TF2PriceCheck tried to make a price list off of opinions, which is about as accurate as one based on a formula, and guess what, it died. The only saving grace of the bptf unusual price guide is that when someone calls bs on a price you can show them proof as to why that price was set. However with formulas/opnions bp.tf would turn into tf2pc, and would no question die. 

You fail to realize that the only thing that keeps bptf (unusual price guide) alive is the fact that there is actual proof behind every price (i.e. its not just an opinion---a trade at a price actually occurred on more than one occasion). 

TF2PriceCheck tried to make a price list off of opinions, which is about as accurate as one based on a formula, and guess what, it died. The only saving grace of the bptf unusual price guide is that when someone calls bs on a price you can show them proof as to why that price was set. However with formulas/opnions bp.tf would turn into tf2pc, and would no question die. 

You fail to realize that the only thing that keeps bptf (unusual price guide) alive is the fact that there is actual proof behind every price (i.e. its not just an opinion---a trade at a price actually occurred on more than one occasion). 

I don't disagree with you and no one has suggested not using a perfectly good voting system?  I do realize that proof makes bp.tf more credible and why again it should stay.  What's suggested is a mechanism for valuing new hats that have no price or hats with prices so far out of date they no longer reflect true value.  It's an addition to voting, not replacing.  If you 'think' it can't be done that's cool but is there any harm in letting someone try? 

I don't disagree with you and no one has suggested not using a perfectly good voting system?  I do realize that proof makes bp.tf more credible and why again it should stay.  What's suggested is a mechanism for valuing new hats that have no price or hats with prices so far out of date they no longer reflect true value.  It's an addition to voting, not replacing.  If you 'think' it can't be done that's cool but is there any harm in letting someone try? 

The problem is, this idea is predicated on people not being illiterate monkeys. Unfortunately the average trader is too stupid to read (or think). So all prices--even those that were set via opinion/formula---would be treated equally, which they shouldn't be. 

I have two unusuals which have the new effects that just came out, and I'm really not up to sell them until I get a firm price. Which is the problem. Since no one else wants to do it as well. As well as it still says there is only 1 of them out there.

I have two unusuals which have the new effects that just came out, and I'm really not up to sell them until I get a firm price. Which is the problem. Since no one else wants to do it as well. As well as it still says there is only 1 of them out there.

They're your hats so you're allowed to choose your own price. If you're firm with your price then that means that you're not negotiating. Also, you might be lucky enough to sell for much more now than later when more have been found and people are no longer chasing after these new effects.

The site used to have a formula based on the base price of the unique version of the hat, number of classes it could be used on and such, but that was worse.

Archived