How well can I expect this build to run TF2?

Mitten

That should run TF2 fine at 280 FPS as long as the map is not a special map.

even on a special map....

@@Mitten a Pentium G3258 (hell, a Celeron G1820) + R7 260x can max out TF2 at well over 60fps. 

I won't be able to begin to understand why you need a 290 for tf2. and why you want 280 fps when 240hz is the highest monitor you will find just about anywhere.

is there something I'm missing?

I won't be able to begin to understand why you need a 290 for tf2. and why you want 280 fps when 240hz is the highest monitor you will find just about anywhere.

There are no true 240hz monitors, the fastest you can get (on a commercial level anyway) is a 165hz ROG swift, with most capping out at 120/144hz. A 240hz monitor (generally these are tvs, not even monitors) are actually just 30-60 (and occasionally 120hz) displays that have some form of frame interpolation in place that blends frames together creating the appearance of a higher framerate at the expensive of significantly higher input lag. 

Playing at or near your refresh rate can cause significant input lag for some, so as a rule of thumb its a good idea to try and get somewhere around refresh rate * 2 + 1

Some people have the misconception that any frames beyond your refresh rate are useless frames. This is not true

Also keep in mind I'll be playing with a 144hz monitor, so while 90 fps looks decent on a 60hz monitor, it would like like complete trash on a 144hz

Playing at or near your refresh rate can cause significant input lag for some, so as a rule of thumb its a good idea to try and get somewhere around refresh rate * 2 + 1

Some people have the misconception that any frames beyond your refresh rate are useless frames. This is not true

Also keep in mind I'll be playing with a 144hz monitor, so while 90 fps looks decent on a 60hz monitor, it would like like complete trash on a 144hz

ummmm no, that's not how it works. Playing at the refresh rate doesn't create or increase input lag, the difference between playing at 144fps and 60fps (on a 60hz monitor) is that the former will exhibit tons of tearing as you'll have part of the frame refreshed while the other part has already been drawn on the screen. This creates the illusion of LESS input lag (key point being a higher fps makes you perceive the input lag to be lower, NOT that playing at the refresh rate of your monitor causes the input lag to increase).

A framerate above the refresh rate of your monitor (assuming your minimums are also above the refresh rate of your monitor) will not increase smoothness; what will happen is that you will experience pretty bad tearing with a VERY slight decrease in latency (emphasis on very). 

And no, 90fps on a 144hz monitor looks perfectly fine (the jump from 60 to 90 is much more noticeable than the jump from 90 to 144, plus most 144hz monitors have a setting to run them at 90hz). 

A framerate above the refresh rate of your monitor (assuming your minimums are also above the refresh rate of your monitor) will not increase smoothness; what will happen is that you will experience pretty bad tearing with a VERY slight decrease in latency (emphasis on very). 

Actually a higher frame rate does increase smoothness, the frame rendered onscreen will be more up to date and more consistent if you have a higher frame rate.

ummmm no, that's not how it works. Playing at the refresh rate doesn't create or increase input lag, the difference between playing at 144fps and 60fps (on a 60hz monitor) is that the former will exhibit tons of tearing as you'll have part of the frame refreshed while the other part has already been drawn on the screen. This creates the illusion of LESS input lag (key point being a higher fps makes you perceive the input lag to be lower, NOT that playing at the refresh rate of your monitor causes the input lag to increase).

And no, 90fps on a 144hz monitor looks perfectly fine (the jump from 60 to 90 is much more noticeable than the jump from 90 to 144, plus most 144hz monitors have a setting to run them at 90hz).

While I can't really agree or refute with most of what you said (because I'm not very knowledgeable about hardware) I can garauntee what you said about fps over your refresh rate is somewhat misguided (at least with regards to tf2). Fps in tf2 has more purpose than just display; they affect important things such as how well you can strafe and hitreg. Also, in my personal experience at least, playing near my refresh rate caused significant stuttering

Actually a higher frame rate does increase smoothness, the frame rendered onscreen will be more up to date and more consistent if you have a higher frame rate.

Well, yes and no. A framerate that is significantly higher than your monitor's refresh rate will induce serious tearing (because part of the image drawn will be ahead of other parts). So like I said, their is technically a lower latency but at the cost of pretty bad tearing (where the latency delta is at least partially negated by the tearing -- and if you don't want the tearing, then you have to enable Vsync which will then add latency). 

While I can't really agree or refute with most of what you said (because I'm not very knowledgeable about hardware) I can garauntee what you said about fps over your refresh rate is somewhat misguided (at least with regards to tf2). Fps in tf2 has more purpose than just display; they affect important things such as how well you can strafe and hitreg. Also, in my personal experience at least, playing near my refresh rate caused significant stuttering

It caused significant stuttering because your minimums were below your refresh rate, arguably more important than average FPS is your frame time variances -- which is the percent of total frames at a specific framerate -- ideally you want your frame time variance to be consistent and fairly low -- when you have a frame time variance in the high percentile range then you're experience frequent drops (which, if they are below your monitor's refresh rate, will be perceived as extremely stuttery). Now with all of that said, you don't need an average FPS significantly higher to maintain decent minimums. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hKRwP6

Just for comparison, that gets about 180 on TF2, and obviously all those parts are a few years old. Seems like you'll be running TF2 at about 1000 FPS lol

the CPU will limit you long before that happens :P (cpu performance hasn't improved all that much in recent years -- a 6700k at the same overclock will only be....10%~ faster than a 3570k in TF2). 

This makes spending real money on unusuals almost seem reasonable by comparison.

Edit: I just hopped into a game of tf2 with all maxed settings including 8x MSAA and 16X antistropic. This got me anywhere between 140 and 220 fps along with some nasty screen tearing. (Enabling vsync made everything perfectly smooth) This was done with a GTX 750 and Pentium G3258 @3.7GHz and while my monitor isn't quite 1080, you can see this setup is more than enough for such a simple game as is.

Archived